Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Restoration enquiry

You are half right, most of the comments posted on the internet would never leave the lips in conversation (should the chance occur where joe blogs engages with tycoon type) but they think them, and mutter amongst themselves at aerojumbles, (Stalin would have banned aerojumbles!)
    " A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest"

Don't get me started on Stalin and aerojumbles....

As my kids would say: "Random!"

I was going to change my signature anyway, as the joke has worn a little thin................ thin but robust!
    Last edited by knifeedgeturn; 11th June 2012 at 14:51.
    " A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest"

Then I think it should be:

"Stalin would ban aerojumbles....."

I'll leave it to others to judge whether there is some comparison in the following:

I've just completed the restoration of a vintage sailing boat. I've removed about 70% of the original build for reasons dealing with improved technical performance and plain 'wear and tear'.

Any attempt to source original replacement parts would be pointless - there aren't any. All the new components are of recent fabrication /manufacture. The result is a vessel that has modern navigational equipment, fireproof interior linings, necessary but modest changes to the engine and far more efficient, waterproof ventilation. New 12vDc and 240vAc internal and external wiring plus new replacement standing and running rigging completed the job.

What I started with, was a vessel that looked like its well known description and class but, showed its years according to those changes listed above plus a few others. What I have finished with, is that same description and class but, with changes that make it fit for another 30 years service.

Anyone from the past, familiar with these craft and looking over this boat would instantly agree that it was, what it said on the tin !

Apart from the fact that this is a boat and we're discussing aeroplanes, I do not see a lot of difference in the methodology. What I have finshed up with is still what it was umpteen years ago.

John Green

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    'A non problem for all the people that matter'

Do we now have an upper echelon of people are in some way more important than the average person who is interested in what a machine is ??

There are restorers who are very much interested in what a machine consists of . Indeed a long chat with one over the weekend was on the percentage of original material to be incorporated in a 'missing' U.K type . There are different ways to restore a machine -you can throw all skinning away and go for fresh or retain existing skins that can be made airworthy with further expense . The notion that there is one level of restoration and everything has to be done to that is nonsense.
    You are, of course, choosing to misunderstand my perfectly clear meaning. Did I mention 'upper-echelons'...? The people who matter are blindingly obvious, first and formost being the CAA. Does '..in some way more important' include (Dare I mention it..) actually putting-up the money...? Well, we'd all be ******** without them. Did I ever say 'restorers who are (not) very much interested in what a machine consists of'. Of course they are, and they use every original bit they can - but it doesn't mean they have fetish for judgmentally labelling every project. I happen to think it's pretty pointless and rather corrosive. I look for the positives. Furthermore, no one has suggested there is 'one level' of restoration. Only insofar as it must be safe - and as accurate as practicable. I said in an earlier post, there is a wide spectrum. Most people messing with a/c seem to be pretty relaxed about this, it's the 'labellers' who are more animated....... I'm all for being a purist, it's simply that airworthy a/c are not, as I've said before, preserved in aspic.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Snoopy - so in the case of a Tiger Moth then where you have no data plate -just a log book you couldnt clone it ??
    I think its far easier than people think for two people to effectively claim ownership of a machine .
    Yes, dead easy, it's called a Flying Group....

Thread Information