Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Russian AF Bases

Current Russian AF Bases

Could anyone tell me is there any website I can go to that would give me a list of Air Force bases in Russia which are currently active and what is based there?

Thanks
    OG

As requested.
    Here is a good sources of the whole new VVS structure.

http://russiamil.wordpress.com/2011/...rce-structure/

Just remember that the Russian designation like: 6963rd aviation base (Kursk) (Mig-29SMT)

It actuall contain two different AB in the same structure designation..
    Millerovo AB has the two SMT Sq.
    while Krymsk AB has two Sq of Su-27SM/ SM3/ Su-30M2 in its inventory.
    Its two different AB location, but under the same command of 6963rd AB.

It the same deal with several other AB designation.

PS. Keep in mind that the VVS are still under a re-structure program, and that some AB may get axed, but also that some new AB may pop up, as was hinted in Rian news lately..
    Last edited by haavarla; 2nd June 2012 at 00:19.
    Thanks

Thank you both - very much appreciated, in particular your explanations Haavalar.

Best Regards
    OG

Haavarla, could you perhaps break down exactly the number of squadrons per each aviation base from the list you linked to? I tried to do it myself but I lack the information required to know if a base has 1, 2, 3 or more squadrons of a certain type of airplane...

Also, do all air defense brigades have similar compositions? What sort of subunits (and their numbers) would an air defense brigade have?

Operational Strategic Command for Air-Space Defense (Moscow)

6963rd aviation base (Kursk) (Mig-29SMT) **two squadrons worth**
    6968th fighter aviation base (Khotilivo, Tver Oblast) (Su-27, Mig-31) **one squadron of each or more?

First Air Force and Air Defense Command (Voronezh) (Western OSK)

6961st aviation base (Petrozavodsk) (Su-27) **should be 2 squadrons. or three?**
    6964th aviation base (Monchegorsk, Murmansk Oblast) (Su-24M, Su-24MP) **how many squadrons?**
    7000th aviation base (Voronezh) (Su-24M, Su-24MP, Su-34) **how many of each?**

Second Air Force and Air Defense Command (Ekaterinburg) (Central OSK)

6977th aviation base (Perm) (Mig-31) **same question as before...*
    6979th aviation base (Kansk, Krasnoyarskii Krai) (Mig-31) **again the same... etc**
    6980th aviation base (Cheliabinsk) (Su-24M)
    6982nd aviation base (Domna, Zabaikalskii Krai) (Mig-29)

Third Air Force and Air Defense Command (Khabarovsk) (Eastern OSK)

6983rd aviation base (Vozdvizhenka, Primorskii Krai) (Su-25, Mi-8, Mi-24)
    6987th aviation base (Komsomolsk-na-Amure) (Su-27SM)
    6988th aviation base (Khurba, Khabarovsk Krai) (Su-24M, Su-24M2, Su-24MR)
    6989th aviation base (Vladivostok) (Su-27SM)

Fourth Air Force and Air Defense Command (Rostov-na-Donu) (Southern OSK)

6970th aviation base (Morozovsk, Rostov Oblast) (Su-24M)
    6971st aviation base (Budennovsk, Stavropol Krai) (Su-25SM, Mi-8, Mi-24, Mi-28)
    6972nd aviation base (Krymsk, Krasnodar Krai) (Su-27, Mi-8, Mi-24, Mi-28, Ka-27)
    6974th aviation base (Korenovsk, Krasnodar Krai) (Mi-8, Mi-24, Mi-28)
    999th aviation base (Kant, Kyrgyzstan) (Su-25, Su-27, Mi-8)

Long Range Aviation Command (Moscow)

6950th aviation base (Engels, Saratov Oblast) (Tu-22M3, Tu-95MS, Tu-160)
    6952nd aviation base (Ukrainka, Amur Oblast) (Tu-95MS)
    6953rd aviation base (Srednii, Irkutsk Oblast) (Tu-22M3)

I would love to help u out totoro.
    But i do not have any complete overview over the current Sq or unit numbers of the different Air groups.
    The Re-orginization of VVS started in 2008, but a lot has happend sinse then. Many AB(approx 20) are now gone.

The Designation Aviation Base above in your post is in effect an 'Air group', which can contain 2 or more different AB.

Its way easier to count the total numbers:
    There are 5 Sq of Su-27SM and one Sq Su-27SM3.
    I believe there exist 2-4 Sq of older Su-27S, atleast two Sq are operating out of Kola penninsula somewhere.

The Mig-29:
    we have the SMT(34?) down south at Kursk or Millerovo AB.
    And at least 2-3 Sq of older versions Mig-29 placed around elsewhere.

Mig-31: About 100 is operative today, which around 50 is the BM version.

Su-24/M/M2: Difficult to say.. perhaps below 200 today.
    A lot of Vanila Su-24 has been retired, the originaly count was a little over 300 to start with.

Every AB in VVS should have up to 4 Su-24MR(Recon) units and a small numbers of different transport helis attached.

If you take to total numbers and divide it over the current Air groups, it should give you a pointer atleast.

You could also try: http://warfare.ru/?catid=241&linkid=2180
    Its pretty good, but it also lack some of the latest updates.
    Last edited by haavarla; 2nd June 2012 at 14:15.
    Thanks

So current squadron in VVS is comprised of 12 planes, not 16? That applies to all types of planes?

If there are 34 mig29SMT and squadrons are comprised of 12 planes, that would mean some mig29 sq. are mixed, made of old and new mig29s. Is that a realistic assumption?

I thought there are 48 active su27sm (not 60), perhaps a few more for training at lipetsk. I've heard numbers 48, 52, even 55, but never 60. I would only read about 60 planes if the sm3 are added in the mix.

And all that doesn't help much when it comes to older, unmodernized planes such as original mig29, su27, su24, su25 and so on. Do we have any source which could offer precise figures?

If what you say is true, then there is 60-72 su27sm/sm3 active, around 48 su27s active, around 36 mig29, 100 mig31 and so on. That give a total of 120 su27, 70 mig29, 100 mig31 etc. That would mean the VVS shrunk by about 50% in the last few years alone.

Do we have a source for mig31 modernization reaching 50 units so far? I believed the first contract of 30 is still underway and the second contract of 60 is yet to start, as its completion is not planned until 2020. Having 50 modernized so far would mean progress rate at which all could be done by 2015, which is not what was said in the published newsbits about the contract.

I've also read one recent statement from Zelin (back when he was chief) where he mentioned current number of su24 was 124. (perhaps just strike planes, without the recce variants?)

Warfare.ru is better than a good deal of sites, but its info seems dated, as if they stopped keeping track some 3-4 years ago.

Ok, here is what i'm fairly certain about:

6968th AB(Khotilovo): Two Sq of Mig-31, one Sq of Su-27
    6963rd AB(Kursk): All SMT
    6959th AB(Olenya): Two Sq of Mig-31, one Sq of Su-27
    6964th AB(Montshegorosk): One Sq Su-24MR, two Sq Su-24M.
    7000th AB(Shatalovo)Three Sq Su-25, Su-24MR. /(Voronezh): Su-34
    6982nd AB(Domna): Two Sq Mig-29?
    6980th AB(Dshida): Two Sq Su-24M, one Sq Su-24MR
    6990th AB(Yelisovo) Located Far-East Three Sq of Mig-31
    6988th AB(Khuba): Four Sq of Su-24M/M2
    6969th AB(millerovo): Two Sq Mig-29
    6972nd AB(Krymsk) Three Sq of Mix Su-27SM/SM3 and Su-30M2.

Feel free to correct me or add something here.
    Last edited by haavarla; 2nd June 2012 at 15:50.
    Thanks

I was under the impression Su-27SM was 48 for two polks, and 5 for Lipetsk.
    Rest are SM3 and M2.

Current number of even strike only Su-124 is way more than 124. With all variants accounted for its probably the most numerous single type in the RuAF.

There are certainly far more than ~50 vanilla Su-27 around, and same goes for MiG-29.

MiG-31 in front line maybe somewhat over 100, with more when counting training units + naval.

You can look here for some info:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%...83.D1.80.D0.B0
    http://vko.ru/DesktopModules/Article...ersion=Staging
    http://www.vko.ru/DesktopModules/Art...ersion=Staging
    Last edited by TR1; 2nd June 2012 at 17:59.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

Well, i'm obviously missing a few bases, with Su-24, Su-27 and perhaps a Sq or two more Mig-31 and Mig-29.

As i said, i have no complete inventorey list..
    Thanks

Thank you, haavarla.

May I ask what do you base the number of squadrons on?

It is pretty damn hard to find any decent sources for squadron numbers, a little bit frustrating really.

I've found scramble.nl's list to be fairly okay for other countries, but in russia's case it doesn't really mesh well with the lists of units we've seen cited in this topic. So which one is correct?

Plus all these lists don't seem to give a clear answer to how many planes there are in a VVS squadron. 12? 16? 24? Or does that figure vary, depending on the type of plane?

As for su-24 numbers, i was refering to this bit of news, allegedly citing Zelin. http://lenta.ru/news/2012/02/14/su24/ Anyone care to comment? True? Not true? Why the mixup if not true?

I do also recollect a bit of news (with a quote from someone from the VVS, was it Zelin or a deputy i dont remember) where it was claimed the modernized su27s (at that point all sm3s have arrived) comprised half the total number of su27s in service. Now I am not saying that is necessarily true, but it is certainly a possibility. I really would like to find that newsbit but so far i've been unable to google it. If anyone remembers something of the like, please provide a link...

If what you say is true, then there is 60-72 su27sm/sm3 active, around 48 su27s active, around 36 mig29, 100 mig31 and so on. That give a total of 120 su27, 70 mig29, 100 mig31 etc. That would mean the VVS shrunk by about 50% in the last few years alone.
    100 MIG-31 in total are fit to upgrade. It does not mean there are 100 MIG-31 active. I estimate 30 MIG-31 are done. and 70 is remaining. 70 in next 8 years does not mean that they can do 70 only because there will be other priorities like introducing Su-35.
    engine production restored 2007.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...output-216409/
    http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...mig-31-upgrade
    By mid-2011, some 20 of the 180 MiG-31s in the Russian inventory had been upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by totoro View Post

As for su-24 numbers, i was refering to this bit of news, allegedly citing Zelin. http://lenta.ru/news/2012/02/14/su24/ Anyone care to comment? True? Not true? Why the mixup if not true?

I do also recollect a bit of news (with a quote from someone from the VVS, was it Zelin or a deputy i dont remember) where it was claimed the modernized su27s (at that point all sm3s have arrived) comprised half the total number of su27s in service. Now I am not saying that is necessarily true, but it is certainly a possibility. I really would like to find that newsbit but so far i've been unable to google it. If anyone remembers something of the like, please provide a link...
    1.) Journalist cockup.

2.) Zero possibility that modernized Su-27s are half of the VVS. VVS active Su-27 fleet is easily above 200 airframes, and that is just legacy.

totoro;1897239]Thank you, haavarla.

May I ask what do you base the number of squadrons on?

It is pretty damn hard to find any decent sources for squadron numbers, a little bit frustrating really.
    Well, i use several sources, just like the one in this thread. But i do try to cross referance them. But the best source i have is an article posted in Combat Aircraft Monthly, issue June 2010.
    Article by Stefan Buttner: Russian AF Transforms, exclusive the latest force structure revealed etc etc.
    It is one of the best article i've ever read in any Aviation magazine- it was an eight wopping page with tons of good info.
    ... and who says Aviation Magazine cant have good articles..

I've found scramble.nl's list to be fairly okay for other countries, but in russia's case it doesn't really mesh well with the lists of units we've seen cited in this topic. So which one is correct?

Plus all these lists don't seem to give a clear answer to how many planes there are in a VVS squadron. 12? 16? 24? Or does that figure vary, depending on the type of plane?
    From my understanding, the current situation in VVS is that the short term problem/challange is not getting enough units in a Sq, but rather getting educated enough young new pilots.. This issue still haunt VVS, keep in mind they have sacked/retired close to 80000 airforce personel in a short timeframe and completly turned the VVS structure around and into a new set of track, much alike NATO run their AF's around the world.
    It is Sq size of 12, but it could be +- here and there. Don't ask me how operational each Sq really is.. it could be less than good.. All i know is that Kursk, Krymsk, Yelisovo and Millerovo are one of the most prioritized AB in VVS now. It means they get the best pilots, most flying time, best equipment/ upgraded or new units.

It should not come as a surprise that VVS will not be able to deliver their intended requirements and goal set. However, i's say they will get pretty close here. Just give them a few more years.

To answer the last two quotes. In 6956th AB(Tshebenki) there are approx 100 Su-24 and Su-24MR on storage/reserve or what ever you wanna call it.
    Its an huge Maintanance/storage depot for the Su-24.
    They will be recycled sooner or later. This is just for Su-24, so we can imagine elsewhere that there are tons of Su-27, mig-29 and Mig-31 in the same situation.
    Espacial the larger part of the Mig-29 fleet, it is just a faint memory of its former glory. VVS are approx operating 4-5 Mig-29 Sq at Kursk and Millerovo AB..
    Last edited by haavarla; 2nd June 2012 at 22:18.
    Thanks

RuAF still operates around 200 MiG-29s, not including SMTs. And this estimate may be conservative...

Come on Putin, let's see an order for 48 MiG-35s!

BTW:
    http://www.ryadovoy.ru/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Check this out, if you know Russian, or can struggle with translator.
    Last edited by TR1; 2nd June 2012 at 22:24.

No it most certainly do not TR1.

Pls show us which AB or Air group all these Mig-29 are stationed.

VVS pulled a huge number of Mig-29 into storage around the time the reports of cracks appaired all over the Mig-29 fleet. This was after one Mig-29 came apart in mid flight and an investigation was started.

That some 100 Mig-29 are placed in reserve or on storage for scrapping does not mean they are 'Operational'.
    There are whole Sq waiting to be scrapped.

Here is from the article:
    In February 2010, the second Sq of the 28th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment 'Leningrad' flying the Mig-29 from Andreapol, was transferred to the former 120th GvIAP at Domna. Both fighter regiments are earmarked for disbandment in the near future, but a new unit- the 6982nd AB will soon be established at Domna.

I'm not even sure this new Mig-29 AB has been created at all.. Today, most former Mig-29 pilots have retired or are now flying in Su-27 Sq.

But according to this source there are +2 Sq Mig-29 there.
    http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/mig/m...ruaf-domna.htm

At best, there is 34 SMT in Kursk AB, 24 Mig-29 in Millerovo AB and some 42 Mig-29 at Domna AB.
    And thats it.
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 00:03.
    Thanks

Pretty much every Russian source I looked at has the number around 200 or more. I take that with much more reliability than some vague Western sources.

The cracks were discovered, and around 70 aircraft remained grounded after keel checks. However, some of them have been spotted with patched up keels, so how many remain grounded is a question in itself.

There are way more reserve MiG-29s, than the ones I mentioned were operational, not storage base units.

At best there are less than 100 legacy MiG-29s? Please....

http://vko.ru/DesktopModules/Article...ersion=Staging

Regarding the tail issue:
    Одним из наиболее серьезных сигналов о неудовлетворительном состоянии российского авиапарка стали сразу два крушения истребителей МиГ-29 в 2008 г., произошедшие из-за разрушения в полете их хвостового оперения. В результате последующих проверок всех состоящих на вооружении самолетов этого типа коррозия в хвостовом оперении была выявлена у 80% из них. Не менее трети общего парка МиГ-29 с наиболее опасными повреждениями оказалось на несколько месяцев приковано к земле до проведения ремонта.

1/3rd of Fleet was grounded, until repairs were completed in the course of several months. If 1/3rd is around 70-100 aircraft, you can get an idea of entire fleet. And even the grounded planes returned to service, so if you are suggesting that since 2008 75% of the MiG-29 fleet was retired...well to put mildly I see no proof for this.

Fleet will dwindle somewhat in next few years due to 9-12 platforms being retired, but not to the extent of sub 100 planes left.

6963rd AB Kursk = 34 SMT
    6982nd AB Domna = 42 Mig-29
    6969th AB Millerovo = 24 Mig-29

Pls fill out the rest of your Mig-29 gost AB then.

The sources produced in this thread is as good as any source.
    I have yet to see anything proving me wrong.

It should really not come as a surprise that Mig-29 has seen large cuts, its way better to cut Mig-29 than it is for any Flankers.
    Just around in Leningrad Military District alone, some 8 AB has been disolved, and i believe there was several former Mig-29 AB stationed there.
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 06:51.
    Thanks

The recent reforms did not see huge cuts in aircraft- though many airbases were closed, it was more of a consolidation move.
    I see no basis for assuming such a huge proportion of the MiG-29 fleet magically dissipated in the past 3 years.
    Just because there is no open base listing for every RuAF MiG-29 units (in English mind you, I haven't done an exactly exhaustive search in Russian) does not mean at all that the ones you have identified are the only ones - that's absurd logic. That's like me asking for a listing of every T-80 unit in English, and saying that those are the only ones that exist. Good luck finding every T-80 unit under the new brigade structure today.
    I guess all those Russian sources that have MiG-29 numbers magnitudes higher than 66 (lol) are making stuff up?

Lipetsk has a bunch of MiG-29s btw.
    As well as :
    http://www.vko.ru/DesktopModules/Art...ersion=Staging
    6972-я авиационная база 1-го разряда – Су-27, МиГ-29, Су-24МР (Крымск);

See? Not that simple.

Or here:
    http://forum.igromania.ru/showthread...=80823&page=29
    Post is about post reform structure-granted its old - BUT :
    тактическая авиация имеет 74 эскадрильи(37 истребительных(7 на МиГ-29, 1 на МиГ-29С, 2 на МиГ-29СМТ, 12 на МиГ-31, 11 на Су-27, 4 на Су-27СМ)

Фронтовая(тактическая)авиация:
    МиГ-25 - 6(в т.ч. 4 МиГ-25РБ, 2 МиГ-25РУ)
    МиГ-29 - 255(в т.ч. 153 МиГ-29(9-13), 14 МиГ-29С, 30 МиГ-29СМТ, 52 МиГ-29УБ, 6 МиГ-29УБТ)
    МиГ-31 - 158(в т.ч. 156 МиГ-31(Б,БС), 2 МиГ-31БМ)
    Су-24 - 323(в т.ч. 24 Су-24, 160 Су-24М, 28 Су-24М2, 110 Су-24МР, 1 Су-24МП)
    Су-25 - 224(160 Су-25, 29 Су-25СМ, 1 Су-25Т, 33 Су-25УБ, 1 Су-25УБМ)
    Су-27 - 271(в т.ч. 159 Су-27(П,С), 55 Су-27СМ, 57 Су-27УБ)
    Су-34 - 5

And suddenly over 200 non SMTs turn into 66?
    I don't buy it.
    Last edited by TR1; 3rd June 2012 at 07:16.

Here is from another source:

"In February 2009, the Russian newspaper Kommersant reported that 200 of the 291 MiG-29s currently in service across all Russian air arms were unsafe and would have to be permanently grounded.[19] This action would remove from service about a third of Russia's total fighter force, some 650 aircraft."

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Russian_Air_Force
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    The recent reforms did not see huge cuts in aircraft- though many airbases were closed, it was more of a consolidation move.
    I see no basis for assuming such a huge proportion of the MiG-29 fleet magically dissipated in the past 3 years.
    Just because there is no open base listing for every RuAF MiG-29 units (in English mind you, I haven't done an exactly exhaustive search in Russian) does not mean at all that the ones you have identified are the only ones - that's absurd logic. That's like me asking for a listing of every T-80 unit in English, and saying that those are the only ones that exist. Good luck finding every T-80 unit under the new brigade structure today.
    I guess all those Russian sources that have MiG-29 numbers magnitudes higher than 66 (lol) are making stuff up?

Lipetsk has a bunch of MiG-29s btw.
    I was hoping you could bring forth any info about your claim..
    Instead we get this nonsens about T-80 units.
    This is absurd, OT and prove you do not have anything to contribute.

If you have a problem with this and feel you have to **** on others sources, while not producing anything, it does not work very well.. Eighter you put up or shut up.

There is not a complete Sq of Mig-29 at Lipetsk.
    Most certain, it is a few units of Mig-29, mostly KUB's.

As i posted earlier, the cuts in Mig-29 fleet started back in 2007.
    Both the Mig-29 fleet at Domna and Millerovo has been restored to flight.

The former 31st IAP in Sernograd is also disbanded, some of its Mig-29 was tranferred to Millerovo, the rest was placed on storage for scrapping.

And the Mig-29 Regiments in Andreapol was abandomed in 2009 and one Sq transferred to Domna.
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 07:30.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haavarla View Post
    Here is from another source:

"In February 2009, the Russian newspaper Kommersant reported that 200 of the 291 MiG-29s currently in service across all Russian air arms were unsafe and would have to be permanently grounded.[19] This action would remove from service about a third of Russia's total fighter force, some 650 aircraft."

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Russian_Air_Force
    Oh for ffs....nothing was permanently grounded, save very few aircraft. The fleet was checked, and all but 70-90 resumed flying. Those grounded planes were repaired within the span of several months, this is not a secret.

I edited my post, go read it, and enough of this 66 MiG-29 nonsense.

I dont really care about number of planes right now, that is always a matter of debate. But i am shocked that info such as precise number of regiments is not available online. That is not something that can be hidden from other countries, intelligence services of other countries certainly know such figures. So why keep it a secret for the public?

Also, is the numbering system in VVS encrypted or something? or is its scheme well known? when a plane has a number "503" what does it mean? When another plane has "722" on its tail and "02" near the cabin, what does that mean? shouldnt those numbers give the info on the division and regiment, like the numbers in other air forces do?

heck, even the chinese AF can these days be fairly accurately tracked using the serial numbers and photographs. I would expect there are a bunch of photos of various planes available, so there should be somewhere a database of all those photos, arranged by serial numbers, helping solve this mystery of number of squadrons.

Here is another good take on the RuAF structure:

http://www.bu.edu/phpbin/news-cms/ne...t=732&id=56000

Oh, and Kubinka did have Mig-29 Reqiment, guess what! Its gone.
    Kubinka AB is also gone by now.

The whole VVS AB structure are not that big/numerous now, it should not be that hard to find all the AB in the structure.

I feel i have named most, if not all the AB that contained Fighters like Su-27, Mig-29 and Mig-31.
    There are ofcource some AB with transport fleet and such, that i did not post.
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 08:13.
    Thanks

6980th AB Bolshoe Savino(Perm), two Sq Mig-31
    6968th AB(Khotilovo): Two Sq Mig-31, one Sq Su-27
    6963rd AB(Kursk): All SMT
    6959th AB(Olenya): Two Sq of Mig-31, one Sq Su-27
    6964th AB(Montshegorosk): One Sq Su-24MR, two Sq Su-24M.
    7000th AB(Shatalovo)Three Sq Su-25, Su-24MR.
    7000th AB(Voronezh): Su-34
    6982nd AB(Domna): Two 42 Mig-29
    6990th AB(Yelisovo) Located Far-East, Three Sq Mig-31
    6988th AB(Khuba): Four Sq of Su-24M/M2

6980th AB(Dshida): Two Sq Su-24M, one Sq Su-24MR
    6980th AB(Chelyabinsk) two Sq Su-24M, one Sq Su-24MR

6969th AB(millerovo): Two Sq Mig-29
    6972nd AB(Krymsk) Three Sq of Mix Su-27SM/SM3 and 2 Su-30M2.

6983rd AB(Centralnaya Uglovaya) 24 Su-27SM, 6 Su-27UB, 12 Mig-31
    6983rd AFB(Dzemgi, Komsomolsk) 24 Su-27, 6 Su-27UB. 09.2009 4 SU-27SM delivered. 2011: delivered 2 SU-30M2

I updated the inventory list.

Still no more Mig-29's there.
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 15:45.
    Thanks

Does the RuAF have any assets stationed in Graham Bell Islands in Franz Josef Islands.
    Maybe useful for stalking Statoil vessels.
    Just Kidding Haavarla.
    I am sure with the EEZ issue resolved nothing stands in between the two countries. In fact Statoil is getting in lots of partnerships with Gazprom.
    But that aside, I am wondering if Russia still maintains a base in Franz Josef Islands.

What about the AB in Rogachevo in Novaya Zemlya. Some MiG 31s and Su27s were based there earlier.
    Google Earth shows some choppers which look like Mi 8s
    https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=71.619491,52.481489
    Last edited by WinterStars; 3rd June 2012 at 14:45.

Novaya Zemlya AB have been closed for quite some time now.
    But according to this, it will be re-opened soon:

http://barentsobserver.com/en/securi...rctic-airbases

The Energy deals are not concluded yet..

http://barentsobserver.com/en/energy...exits-shtokman
    Last edited by haavarla; 3rd June 2012 at 16:40.
    Thanks

Thanks a lot, this is indeed fresh news... two days old.
    Novaya Zemlya AB have been closed for quite some time now.
    But according to this, it will be re-opened soon:
    http://barentsobserver.com/en/securi...rctic-airbases
    Interesting, Both Rogachevo and Graham Bell Islands AB will be reopened. I was just curious, did not know that they actually planned.

The energy news is quite new too. Anyway no problem for Statoil, they got the Rosneft deals. It was already known for sometime that Gazprom wanted to partner with ExxonMobil and Shell in a big way.

Now that they are going to reopen the Graham Bell Island AB, it would be really interesting to know what they plan to Station there. Bombers?:diablo:
    Tu22M3 comes to mind for Maritime reconnaissance.

I'll just say that imho, i would give more credibility to what russian sources say about the RuAF organization and aircraft numbers, rather than western ones.
    Not that the western articles reffered to here are not useful , it's just the russian folks should know even better what's what. Just my 2 cents.

тактическая авиация имеет 74 эскадрильи(37 истребительных(7 на МиГ-29, 1 на МиГ-29С, 2 на МиГ-29СМТ, 12 на МиГ-31, 11 на Су-27, 4 на Су-27СМ)

Фронтовая(тактическая)авиация:
    МиГ-25 - 6(в т.ч. 4 МиГ-25РБ, 2 МиГ-25РУ)
    МиГ-29 - 255(в т.ч. 153 МиГ-29(9-13), 14 МиГ-29С, 30 МиГ-29СМТ, 52 МиГ-29УБ, 6 МиГ-29УБТ)
    МиГ-31 - 158(в т.ч. 156 МиГ-31(Б,БС), 2 МиГ-31БМ)
    Су-24 - 323(в т.ч. 24 Су-24, 160 Су-24М, 28 Су-24М2, 110 Су-24МР, 1 Су-24МП)
    Су-25 - 224(160 Су-25, 29 Су-25СМ, 1 Су-25Т, 33 Су-25УБ, 1 Су-25УБМ)
    Су-27 - 271(в т.ч. 159 Су-27(П,С), 55 Су-27СМ, 57 Су-27УБ)
    Су-34 - 5
    TR1, you wouldn't happen to have similar numbers for bombers , trainers , transports and helicopters ? Thanks.

Thread Information