Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Chipmunks

7 Chipmunks

I have seen a large formation of Chipmunks to the west of Panshanger I believe the callsign was De Havilland Arrow anyone know what these were doing or going?

Hatfield Flypast, then Salisbury Hall I believe.

I believe it was was for a flypast over the University of Herts on the old Hatfield Aerodrome and the DH Heritage Centre. Don't know what the flypast was for though. There were scheduled to be 10 Chippies and a Hornet Moth taking part.

HTH

Martin
    Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return

Quote Originally Posted by topgun regect View Post
    I believe it was was for a flypast over the University of Herts on the old Hatfield Aerodrome and the DH Heritage Centre. Don't know what the flypast was for though. There were scheduled to be 10 Chippies and a Hornet Moth taking part.

HTH

Martin
    Many thanks, While I only counted 7 maybe others joined them later the first four were in a tight formation the other 3 were right behind but not as tight in fact the last one seemed to be having a job keeping up (Blue with a red tail)

It was the University of Hertfordshire 60th anniversary garden party flypast.

Cool

Now that could be a new display team nine or ten chipmunks doing formation aerobatics now that would be nice to see.

Mike E

The collective name for a group of Chipmunks is a " scurry".
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebex View Post
    Now that could be a new display team nine or ten chipmunks doing formation aerobatics now that would be nice to see.

Mike E
    There was a new Chippie display team working up it's display in early April.

Nice video, brings back memories of my days in the ATC.

How many airworthy Chipmunks are there in the UK ?

Alan ................

G-INFO shows 124 Chippies on the UK civil register: not all will necessarily be airworthy but would guess 100 or so will be capable of flight.

Planemike

I was standing at the end of Runway 29 as these assembled and took off - when I remember how to get my video clip loaded I will post on YouTube. In the meantime here's a few stills that I took as they gathered - unfortunately using a well-old 4-meg compact that I rescued from the back of a cupboard, hence apologies for the cr*p quality.

Edit: vid now available at the site indicated below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-AOJR.rez.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	205828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-AOTR.rez..jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	205829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portugese.rez.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	205830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark.rez.ab.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	205831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG407rez..jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	205832  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP803.rez.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	205833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP971rez.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	205834  
    Last edited by 91Regal; 2nd June 2012 at 16:38.
    In the end, we're all stardust.

Quote Originally Posted by Planemike View Post
    Alan ................

G-INFO shows 124 Chippies on the UK civil register: not all will necessarily be airworthy but would guess 100 or so will be capable of flight.

Planemike
    Don't forget the two with the Battle of Britain Flight, and one with the Army Air Corps Historic Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Planemike View Post
    Alan ................

Planemike
    Thanks for the info. I seem to remember that in the long distant past, a
    chipmunk was fitted with a different engine. Other than the standard Gypsy
    Major. Was that my imagination, or did it actually happen ?, if so what
    happened to it ?

I think it was G-ATTS was fitted with a Rover gas turbine way back in the 60's and more recently there was a Bonner Chipmunk (G-ARWB) which appeared at Farnborough with an engine based on the block of the Rover V8.
    There was also Super Chipmunk G-IDDY built by Nigel Brendish of Harvest Air which I think had a Lycoming. Apparently visitors and staff at the Southend Museum got regular close ups of G-IDDY as Nigel beat up the museum building at every opportunity until Southend tower decided enough was enough and had words with him.
    I am pretty sure Art Scholl's famous Super Chipmunk was also Lycoming powered and still survives (in the Smithsonian?).
    I am unsure of the fate of G-ATTS but I think G-ARWB is still around and I am pretty sure G-IDDY went to the USA probably after Nigel's sad and needless death in a Cessna.

From my Chipmunk notes:

G-ARWB - Registered 2/1/62; CoA issued 15/3/63; Used as test airframe for Super Sapphire engine; current on the UKCAR, painted as WK611

G-ATTS - Registered 29/4/66; Re-engined with Rover TP-90 turbo; CoA issued 19/10/66; Cancelled 20/10/69 to USA; N2247 - Registered /69; Re-engined with Ranger with a fixed pitch propeller; current on USCAR 2/11;

G-IDDY - Registered 26/9/79 with c/n HA/MM/4-81 & NB.130; Flew inverted from France to England 30/10/82 in 10 min. 40 sec. Beating the record set in 1934 by a Tiger Moth by over 5 mins; cancelled 30/12/99 to USA; N311SH - Reserved /??; reservation cancelled 30/12/99; Registered /?? with c/n HA/MM/4-81; last noted on rebuild in the Wilmington, Delaware area; current on USCAR 2/11;

There are several other UK Chipmunks with different engines, mainly used as
    glider tugs.

see thread http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...=108634&page=2

post #41 for three I photographed last year.

RMR

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    Thanks for the info. I seem to remember that in the long distant past, a Chipmunk was fitted with a different engine. Other than the standard Gypsy Major. Was that my imagination, or did it actually happen ? If so what happened to it ?
    Original engine was a GIpsy Major !!

A check on G-INFO shows 11 aircraft with Lycoming conversions, mostly used as glider tugs.

Planemike

Thanks again everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    I am pretty sure Art Scholl's famous Super Chipmunk was also Lycoming powered and still survives (in the Smithsonian?).
    Some more information from my notes:

Art Scholl owned 3 different chipmunks.

c/n 23
    18001 Royal Canadian Air Force 1/4/48; SOC 6/5/59 for sale; J.Svardala; M.J.Dillon 10/2/68; A.E.Scholl 20/2/68;
    N183E registered 6/6/68 A.E.Scholl; CoA issued 1/7/68;
    N13Y registered 17/7/68 A.E.Scholl; Modified with a Lycoming GO-435-C2B engine & retractable u/c by 3/2/69; CoA re-issued 3/2/69; Gained 2nd place in the US National Aerobatic competition (unlimited class) 1969; after Scholl death the aircraft was presented by his widow to the Smithsonian Institute; Stored Paul E.Garber Storage & Restoration Facility Washington DC. /88; displayed Smithsonian USA by /04; current on USCAR 6/12;

c/n 111-149
    CF-CXG registered 9/1/51 Canadian Department of National Defence, on loan to Windsor (Ontario) Flying Club; SOC 30/11/61; N.Rose; A.E.Scholl 8/1/66; Ferry permit issued 24/2/66 to 29/3/66 for ferry flight from Canada to USA;
    N13A registered 29/3/66 A.E.Scholl with c/n 149; Re-engined with a Ranger 6-440-C5 by 5/66; CoA issued 12/5/66; Used in the 1966 & 1968 World Aerobatic Championships; sold J.R.Garrison 26/2/72; sold Anderson Aviation Inc. South Carolina; current on USCAR 6/12;

c/n 116-154
    CF-CXL registered 12/9/50 Canadian Department of National Defence, on loan to Winnipeg Flying Club; SOC 13/10/61;
    N1114V registered /?? with c/n 154 W.B.Richards; A.E.Scholl; Re-engined with a Ranger 6-440C-5; after Scholl death the aircraft was presented by his widow to the E.A.A.Aviation Foundation Inc; Preserved EAA Museum Oshkosh 6/87; current on USCAR 6/12;

RMR

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware that Art Scholl had owned more than one Chipmunk.
    When I was 13 or so I used to go to our local radio control flying field and the odd copy of Aeromodeller used to come my way. Art Scholl's Chipmunk and Harold Krier's Great Lakes were often featured but unfortunately I never got to see displays by these legends of the aerobatic scene.

...Art Scholl's Chipmunk and Harold Krier's Great Lakes were often featured but unfortunately I never got to see displays by these legends of the aerobatic scene.

Well, one out of two ain't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNp_5ZRqFi0

Confession: I organised the flypast. I had a total of 14 aircraft register and seven pulled out at the last minute, due to weather, serviceability and gremlins.

One interesting fact was that on board one of the aircraft was Sonja Fillingham who won the King's Cup Air Race in 1953 along with her husband the de Havilland Chipmunk test pilot, Pat Filllingham. It added a wonderful bit of historic gravitas to the event.

Nice pics, 91Regal.

Amusingly, the formation briefing was temporarily disrupted by the sight and sound of B17 Sally B flying past Panshanger.

de Havilland forever!

Thanks for organising the event, Janie, it livened up a dull day in deepest Herttfordshire ! Saw you walking around, thought to introduce myself but got a bit bashful. Trust you will be back for the DH day on the 17th. ? (should have a decent camera by then).

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I should be around Pans on 17 June. So are you somewhere in this melee?
    de Havilland forever!

No - my stills/vid were taken from the public footpath at the Hertford end of 29 - those people shown had air-side access, I didn't (but why are they keeping their pics to themselves; c'mon share, peoples ).

All you needed for air-side access was to ask politely and bring a hi-viz jacket and act responsibly. You should have come in. You should at least come in and use the cafe. It's very good.

On Sunday 17 June there is a de Havilland day at Panshanger. Why don't you come on in for that?

Photos on Facebook here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=cb4dc1d22e
    de Havilland forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Confession: I organised the flypast. I had a total of 14 aircraft register and seven pulled out at the last minute, due to weather, serviceability and gremlins.

One interesting fact was that on board one of the aircraft was Sonja Fillingham who won the King's Cup Air Race in 1953 along with her husband the de Havilland Chipmunk test pilot, Pat Filllingham. It added a wonderful bit of historic gravitas to the event.

Nice pics, 91Regal.

Amusingly, the formation briefing was temporarily disrupted by the sight and sound of B17 Sally B flying past Panshanger.

I absolutely love this picture!
    If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

I was taking pictures for the Flying School Website/Blog/Facebook Page.

www.northlondonflyingschool.com
    www.northlondonflyingschool.blogspot.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/northlondonflyingschool

There's some great videos on You Tube too.

Wonderful pics Deecy. Thanks for recording the event so beautifully. See you on Sunday at de Havilland Day.
    de Havilland forever!

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware that Art Scholl had owned more than one Chipmunk.
    When I was 13 or so I used to go to our local radio control flying field and the odd copy of Aeromodeller used to come my way. Art Scholl's Chipmunk and Harold Krier's Great Lakes were often featured but unfortunately I never got to see displays by these legends of the aerobatic scene.
    Here's the Super Chipmunk at Oshkosh on 10 September 2012:

c/n 116-154
    CF-CXL registered 12/9/50 Canadian Department of National Defence, on loan to Winnipeg Flying Club; SOC 13/10/61;
    N1114V registered /?? with c/n 154 W.B.Richards; A.E.Scholl; Re-engined with a Ranger 6-440C-5; after Scholl death the aircraft was presented by his widow to the E.A.A.Aviation Foundation Inc; Preserved EAA Museum Oshkosh 6/87; current on USCAR 6/12;
    Now working on Hurricane Survivors - to be published in September 2015 by Grub Street

Thread Information