Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hurricane Undercarriage Indicator?? 5C/2440

Hurricane Undercarriage Indicator?? 5C/2440

I was wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I have come across an undercarriage indicator which appears to look very similar to the hurricane ones. The part number of 5c/2440.

It looks identical to the 'tempest' ones doing the rounds on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Undercarri...item20c5b8a27a) at the moment but does not have the tail wheel light.

Dave

Hi Dave,

This could be a later Mk type.

I Have seen a couple of ref No's for these.

5C/4845

5C/1008 or 7

I only have a repro of the early one so not sure on the ref No of that one.

Ant.

The Hurricane ones have vertical side bars, as opposed to the angled ones shown in my listing.

The slanted ones without the tail light fit Lancaster amongst others.

Bruce

The 5C/2440 Indicator is listed in AP1086 as being for the Lancaster (and presumably Lancastrian, York and possibly Lincoln later, too).
    The garage that keeps on giving

Dave,

I thought there was a later Hurricane one with slanted side bars, yours may not be it though, the one with vertical side bars is very rare indeed. There is one availible for sale at the moment, but you will need very very deep pockets

If you are doing a panel why not go for a repro, these are in original old cases with a new made face, Thats what I have, Then I have tried to 'age' the face a bit, looks pretty good.

Would cost you around £85

I have a contact for these.

I have 5C/2440 listed as 5CX/2440 in a 1953 dated copy of AP1086 and detailed for Lancaster as well.

It is listed as 'Indicators, undercarriage position, Aircraft Components Ltd Type' with a manufacturer p/n of C.5822

5C/1007 is listed as 5CX/1007 as Type A Indicator, Port and Starboard wheels, without filament lamp. Superseded by Ref No 4204

5C/1008 is listed as 5CX/1008 as Type B Indicator, Port, Starboard and Tail wheels, without filament lamp. Superseded by Ref No 4204

5C/1009 is listed as 5CX/1009 as Type C Indicator, Port, Starboard and Nose wheels, without filament lamp. Superseded by Ref No 4204

5CX/4204 is listed as Type D Indicator with a Manufacturer p/n of C.1224Y

Hope that helps, and has not clouded the issue further!!

Regards
    Dave

If this can help, see below what a Hurricane U/C indicator looks like

Laurent

I notice the Tempest ones are from Norwich on ebay, I wonder if they're from the two Tempest cockpits in that region, the ones everybody goes into a cold sweat if you mention them on this forum...
    "The 262's most dangerous opponent :- Hawker Tempest - extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed."
    (H. Lange, 262 pilot)

Thread Information