Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Great P-51 low level through canyon vid

Great P-51 low level through canyon vid

Looks like a great way to discover powerlines...

imagine one of these or similar whizzing through the moutains of the UK instead of the jet stuff of today. it would be fantastic. an airshow in the mountains
    www.restorebike.co.uk
    www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa
    (aviation archaeology)

ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR LENSE IS, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS

Quote Originally Posted by Stepwilk View Post
    FFS, empty that half empty glass, and half fill it!
    Shhhhhhh! It's the internet, no one cares. I hope the belligerent high post count tossers are listening...

Jeez there is always one!!! Never mind im sure you will live a very long, safe and borring life.

Any way back to the vid, yes it is fun
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Having flown several thousands of hours since 1967, I haven't hit a powerline yet. Surely you know the classic business of "old" and "bold"?

but then I'm sure you're very brave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
    Jeez there is always one!!! Never mind im sure you will live a very long, safe and borring life.

Any way back to the vid, yes it is fun
    Matt.
    When I read the original post I wondered how long it would take before a self appointed expert would say how terribly dangerous it all is.
    Second post--must be a record.
    A.
    It is better to be born a beggar than a fool.

Fan-bl**dy-tastic. Must have looked equally impressive from the ground. My bet is the pilot knows that area like the back of his hand.

Andy.

If Stepwilk has 'several thousands of hours' in his pilot's logbook then he probably has a hell of a lot more right to be a 'self appointed expert' than either you or I will ever have.

Having said that.....

Did I watch the video? Yes.

Did I enjoy it? Absolutely!

Do I consider it to be dangerous? I have absolutely no idea whether it is dangerous or even legal to fly in that manner. However, if it was illegal, then it's pretty stupid to put it on the web for all to see.

I also got the impression he knew exactly where he was and precisely where he was going.

Regards,

kev35
    The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

I would suspect that the pilot concerned, being a local, knows the area intimately. He also happens to be very experienced in flying a P-51 at low altitude and high speed.

I can neither confirm nor deny that low-level flight in the rolling NorCal hills takes place, nor can I confirm or deny that it is absolutely great fun and gives those involved a grin a mile wide!

I wondered how long it would take before a self appointed expert would say how terribly dangerous it all is.
    Good lord. Anorak madness. What on earth do you, Andy Lying in Bed, know about how dangerous it is, not being a pilot?

I'm being chastised for voicing a thought that any experienced pilot would immediately have upon seeing that video, by some rivet-counter whose own self-appointed expertise, according to his profile, seems to consist of being "an aviation nut...married to Vanessa...modelmaker...aviation historian..."

I am definitely not an "aviation nut," just somebody who has made my living and survived in the flying business since, in fact, just before Andy Lying in Bed was born. Vanessa, you have my sympathy. Buy him a nice model to make and he'll calm down.

Good lord. Anorak madness. What on earth do you, Andy Lying in Bed, know about how dangerous it is, not being a pilot?

I'm being chastised for voicing a thought that any experienced pilot would immediately have upon seeing that video, by some rivet-counter whose own self-appointed expertise, according to his profile, seems to consist of being "an aviation nut...married to Vanessa...modelmaker...aviation historian..."

I am definitely not an "aviation nut," just somebody who has made my living and survived in the flying business since, in fact, just before Andy Lying in Bed was born. Vanessa, you have my sympathy. Buy him a nice model to make and he'll calm down.
    It is better to be born a beggar than a fool.

to be fair if you want to look at the vid with "safety specs" on then there are a whole load of nasty things that could go wrong,,

engine or mechanical failure at low level and not many big clear area`s to put down or time to correct the issue,,

possible bird strike from flying low over forested area,,

other aircraft low flying in the area,,

Taliban shooting at you from camouflaged positions etc etc..

by the looks of it he has flown down there before and is not just a spure of the moment thing.. if i owned a high performance machine i think i would want to break the unwritten rules now n then and have "FUN", hand on!! i do but they have 2 wheels instead of wings and when no ones looking i "may" go over the legal speed limit where it is safe to do so and weather and road conditions are in my favour without trying to break the sound barrier or my neck!!.
    www.restorebike.co.uk
    www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa
    (aviation archaeology)

ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR LENSE IS, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS

... I know it's his cap, but looking in his mirror he's being tailgated by an IL-76

Great vid by the way...
    Last edited by g-anyb; 23rd May 2012 at 11:21.

Yeah! That made me smile too.

Watched it and thought, "That 51 pilot is doing good, but the guy behind him in the IL-76 is showing some balls by keeping up with the Mustang"!

Great video!

Regards;
    Steve

The Wanaka shows are great value if you want a mountain backdrop. What do you fly Stepwilk?. The chap who does the CAA airtest on my aircraft would probably think the video was quite high but there again he was a crop spraying pilot...and survived.

What do you fly Stepwilk?
    Numerous GA types from lightplanes to business jets (type-rated in the Citation 500), though I no longer fly the Falco F8L-180 that I built. It's now a neighbor of yours, I believe near Melbourne, with its second Australian owner, one Ian Newman.

Sorry Stepwilk but I'm in the UK. I use the "ozplane" as I have a Victa Airtourer which is of course an "Ozzie aeroplane". However I did fly in a Falco last time I was in Australia but I don't think it was yours.

Couldn't miss "mine..." It's in an Italian Aeronautica Militare paint scheme.

Canyon Run

Having done a run through a gorge in Oz as a crewie on a RAAF/Lloyds/CHC SAR Sikorsky S-76 including a half roll over a promence and about 10m off a river at high speed, all I can say is there is only one thing better and that involves being naked and in bed........naaah there is nothing better.

Thread Information