Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Film You Watched..... IV

The Iron Lady (2011)
    Channel 4, 6 Jan, 21:00

Firstly, Meryl Streep plays a fantastic Thatcher.
    The film is a very inlightening insight into Margaret's rise to power and personal life. If nothing else it shows just how much she helped promote women in parliament. A great tribute for a great woman.
    Feel free to check out my aviation pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhr_spotter/ - comments welcome

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The third outing for Dr. Jones looks great in blu-ray.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Captain America the first Avenger

I am not really a big superheroes fan and even when my interest aligned more as a kiddie Captain America was probably of least interest.

However I rather enjoyed it. I dig spent large parts taking more interest in the German Reichpunk planes than the plot.

Favourite line: so many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

Threads.
    A BBC drama - documentary shown in 1984.
    WW3 breaks out, Sheffield is Nuked and the collapse of civilisation ensues.
    Quite good if not a little dated. Very thought provoking. Some nice shots of RAF Phantoms scrambling.

The Hobbit

I was worried how on earth Jackson will stretch out a book that has fewer pages than either of the Lord of the Rings books into 3 movies. However, having now seen and been suitably entertained by "The Hobbit - An unexpected journey" I have nothing to worry about.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Bmused55 View Post
    The Hobbit
    I always liked hobbit best of all of JRRs books. In part i think because it is much tighter and leaner. And was worried about the bloat of going to 3 films.

However with the exception of about 100 battles all following the same format.

Run away
    Two make a heroic stand to buy the others time
    Two get overwhelmed
    The others come charging back in
    Baddies defeated

It was good.

Number one son loved it and insisted we stopped at library on the way back to get the book out. He is already half way through. So job done.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Adaptation
    For those of you that don't know a more or less shot for shot remake of the original made by a load of kids in the 80's. And iv'e just found it on youtube the picture quality is terrible and the sound is probably worse! But and it's a BIG but it's well worth a watch because you know what's coming next and you keep thinking well they cant do the truck chase (they do!) it's bad but brilliant at the same time! What more can I say other than if you liked the original watch this.

You got a link for that?

Daren Cogdon

"Everybody's doing it so why the hell should I ?" Black Sheep- Gin Wigmore

Sweet! I'll give that a look! Cheers!

Daren Cogdon

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    I always liked hobbit best of all of JRRs books. In part i think because it is much tighter and leaner. And was worried about the bloat of going to 3 films.

However with the exception of about 100 battles all following the same format......

same here.. must admit I started to drift off in places, although one benefit of my local Kinema is that they have an interval halfway through when a bloke appears through the floor playing the mighty compton organ

yes, i was suffering battle fatigue by the end of it all...

Yep thats the one sorry I couldnt post the link last night my puter promptly packed up after my first post Its also worth reading the story of them making the film thats the true adventure!

Smile Recent oldie

I watched an old british movie here in OZ last week ,it was about an aircraft designer who commits a crime and gets away with it!Some office background shots of an airfield and a model on the desk of I think an Avro 707 delta also some flying shots of a Miles Gemini.Maybe some of you have seen it?John Mills was the star(well one of them!)
    The Title was "Mr Denny goes north"
    Last edited by wl745; 9th January 2013 at 09:11. Reason: forgot the title!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

It's not a bad movie, it's just not a great movie. And, if they're remotely considering making a fifth one, keep George Lucas the hell away from it!

An American Werewolf in London

On blu-ray. Fantastic transfer, with remixed sound. Still the classic monster movie we all know and love!

Daren Cogdon

the bourne legacy

Its Ok, it crosses over plot lines and timelines with the earlier three movies. It also throws you a curve ball with some drug dependency that the Treadstone agents have that I don't recall from the first 3, its better than it deserves to be, and there is maybe one more film there to squeeze out of the story line.
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

Life of Pi

Finally got around to seeing it this afternoon.

Very good. The CGI is unbelievable, although at certain times you can tell what's real and what isn't. Certainly quite emotional at points (one scene with the tiger in particular), but it certainly doesn't feel like a long film.

8/10

Daren Cogdon

Cockneys vs. Zombies

Well, I didn't like it.

The Fly

A quality horror film from "back in the day". I hope to Christ this one isn't remade!!

Daren Cogdon

Dredd

I am, The Law.............

For those who know the comic, it's a hit I think. Very violent but stylish and they do well to capture the iconic figure that Dredd has become.

It suffers a bit from the same plotline as "The Raid" (which is an insane Indonesian movie) but well worth 90 mins of my life and all of my nectar points to buy it with !

Les Miserables

Went this afternoon as flying wasn't an option.

I love the stage show and have seen it three times, so how does the film compare?

Different

It's a good movie and well worth a fiver to see big screen. It has more detail from the book than ever made the stage, but somehow it didn't have quite the same impact.

Overall though stunning.

Despite two really poor bits of casting.

Thénardier the innkeeper is really poorly realised by Sasha Baron Cohen. He should never have been let anywhere near the set with his wildly swinging accent and mugging at camera. Made worse as his wife is brilliantly played by Helen Bonham Carter, which makes his lack of talent all the more painfully exposed.

And the female lead, Cosette is played by Amanda Seyfried, the goggle-eyed bird from Mama-Mia. She can't sing, she can't act and she doesn't even look good or convincing. Once more acted and sung off the screen by Samantha Barks playing Éponine.

That the film overcomes these two handicaps shows, I think, just how good the entire package is.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Dredd

Pretty much the same opinion as BSG, although I never read the comics (nor saw the Stallone original - apparently I shouldn't!).

Good fun, though. Karl Urban does bad-assery very well. I hope he gets to whup some in the new Star Trek film...!

Daren Cogdon

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    and well worth a fiver to see big screen.
    How much ? My local Vue is nigh on twice that.....

Not a huge musical fan myself (Blues Brothers and Paint Your Wagon are my limit !) - I heard a clip on the radio and Russell Crowe sounded (and I quote the presenter) like a bad X Factor contestant doing a Tony Hadley impression?

My own taste I think, struggles with every line of dialogue being "in song", we should run the forum that way with .wav files.......

"I think the Burma Spitfire tale is a myth hit"

"oh no, I think you are so full of it...."

21 Jump Street

Still great fun third time around.

Daren Cogdon

A bridge too far

"....it was Nijmegen......."

"...it was the narrow road leading to Nijmegen......"

"..it was before that..."

Great film.

" ...I'm sorry, we haven't the facilities to take you all prisoner.....was there anything else?..."
    www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Vamp T11 XE921, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

Quote Originally Posted by BSG-75 View Post
    How much ? My local Vue is nigh on twice that.....
    2.30 afternoon showing
    +
    10% Cineworld' loyalty account
    +
    Wrinkly person discount

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfireman View Post
    A bridge too far

."
    Brilliant film ! I love the bit with the mental patients wondering around the tank column.... perfect way to spend an afternoon ! (the film, not going mad and wondering around a tank column... )

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Les Miserables

Despite two really poor bits of casting.

M
    How is Russel Crowe ? L.A Confidential he was brilliant.... Gladiator and Master & Commander very good, Robin Hood.... m'eh....

Not at all bad. Believable.

His singing isn't exactly brilliant, but other than that he carries the part well.

Moggy

TED

Eight-year-old John wishes his new teddy bear would come to life so he has someone to talk to. Cue gratuitous swearing, drug-taking, and borderline bestiality.

Bloody hilarious!

Dead Calm

Holidaying couple Sam Neill and Nicole Kidman come across a slowly-sinking schooner in the middle of the ocean, occupied only by a slightly deranged Billy Zane who proceeds to take Kidman hostage, leaving Neill on the schooner.

Proper edge-of-seat stuff!

Teen Wolf

Unpopular Michael J Fox becomes a local hero following some lycanthropic family tendencies. Good fun.

Pearl Harbor

Yes, we know it's a load of ****, but I still enjoy watching it, if only for the aeroplane bits!

Daren Cogdon

Superman (1978)

Still a great movie. Curious to see what they'll do with the reboot, Man of Steel....

Poseidon

Mince remake of the 1972 disaster classic. Seriously, I wouldn't bother. Watch the original.

Daren Cogdon

Sherlock Holmes, whatever the second Robert Downey Junior one is called, it's shocking, just so bad, it's 2 hours of my life that I want back. (Ok, the other half watched it while I browsed a book and peered over my glasses to scoff at it) - It may as well have been called "Super Victorian Secret Agent with 21st Century approach" - it's just utter ****.

The A Team - bad day at work, as per, flop out, glass of wine, detach brain and allow eyes to be entertained.... worth it alone to see Murdoch try to jump start an ambulance...... stupidly complex plot (which is what killed it at the box office) but oh so much fun ! (IMHO of course.....)

To each their own, but I hated the first of these two with a vengence, and love the latter !

Marley and Me

I do like dogs. I genuinely do. I absolutely adored my ex's white Golden Retriever, despite the fact that she mowed me down in the kitchen one day because she just felt like it! And the fact that she bit me on the **** because she refused to be brushed.

But I had no love for this. Can't stand Owen Wilson or Jennifer Aniston, for a start, and I knew [SPOILERS] the dog dies at the end [/SPOILERS]. But, to be honest, the episode of Rolf's Animal Hospital, where the guy had to say goodbye to his beloved dog, was a lot more emotional than this. And shorter.

Daren Cogdon

Thread Information