Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Drought?

Drought?

You know this drought is bad when it washes away the only bridge in and out of our village on the A28.....

Thank God its only a drought!

The garden is waterlogged and in standing water. Meanwhile, a half-drowned individual has just posted advisory leaflets through the neighbourhood letterboxes warning of dire consequences if we should even look at a hose, let alone get caught getting the garden hose out of the shed (I cannot get to it without waders!) and illustrated with a photo of parched and cracked soil which bears little resemblance to anything I have seen here of late but seems to have been taken somewhere near that P40 in the Saharan desert. He complained bitterly that he had had to make a 20 mile detour because of the swept away bridge, and couldn't understand why I laughed louder than my gurgling storm water drain.

Oh the irony. You couldn't make it up!
    Last edited by Tangmere1940; 10th May 2012 at 17:10.
    http://andysaunders.tumblr.com/

Trouble is, when the fat lady sings, it might signal a Da Capo moment...

As it is the season for Government U turns ---this silly situation should soon be resolved & I may soon be able to wash the families cars, without fear of arrest !!

As for the Govenment ....I fart in their general direction !!!!

We have plenty of water up North... we could sell you some Kielder is full to bursting and has been since it was built. No droughts here.

I might fill up my water pistol via my hosepipe....

I think you will find northern water is too hard for us soft southerners!!

Hard runways only at Caen today. Not allowed onto the grass strips, taxiways or parking.

Do I care? My drought has ended, a litre of pression with my dinner

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

rain

Quote Originally Posted by AutoStick View Post
    As it is the season for Government U turns ---this silly situation should soon be resolved & I may soon be able to wash the families cars, without fear of arrest !!
    It's rained none stop here that I just throw some fairy liquid on the car and it
    washes itself

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Hard runways only at Caen today. Not allowed onto the grass strips, taxiways or parking.

Moggy
    More Calvados, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post

Moggy
    Better to arrrive late than never Moggs At least you did it safely.
    Jim.
    Lincoln ,7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

Absolutely stonking headwind up the Channel. 90 minute flight Norfolk to Caen took 2 hours 20

I passed on the Calva. Have to do the next leg up to Cherbourg at Sparrows' Fart tomorrow. But a boozy evening is almost certain to follow.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    I think you will find northern water is too hard for us soft southerners!!
    Northern water is soft. Your Artesian Well (Drank and peed 5 times) water is awful.

Rain here on the continent. I'm sick to bally death of it!
    Higher than Gods, in Concorde or a Mozzy.

So we've had drought, we've got floods, what next? Fire or plague! Please not an outbreak of pests like flies in the summer.

atr. It could be worse than those, it could be passerbye back again.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT442 View Post
    We have plenty of water up North... we could sell you some Kielder is full to bursting and has been since it was built. No droughts here.

I might fill up my water pistol via my hosepipe....
    Its been p*ssing down all day here (Newcastle upon Tyne, pretty much the centre) and my Girlfriend & myself had a water fight, two hosepipes, well three really, she had two...Just so we could annoy these Nancy Southerners. Nah not really, we didn't, but we could if we wanted to! But we do brush our teeth and leave the tap running because we have so much of it.

'Water, water everywhere but not a drop to spare...for the Southerners!'

Wondering if they're selling hosepipes down south half price?

Quote Originally Posted by EELightning View Post
    Wondering if they're selling hosepipes down south half price?
    I had a catalogue, a few days ago, which was doing exactly that.

Since the drought was announced we have had nothing but rain in Milton Keynes.
    During the first week of the 'drought' I put together a fish pond we had got and used the hosepipe to fill it because I simply didn't believe the whole 'drought' thing.
    Y.N.W.A

As I've said in a couple of other threads, it will take a lot more than 3 weeks of rain to fix our goundwater problems which have come about after 2 years of below average rainfall.

We have two main issues... Groundwater (where the majority of our drinking water comes from) and river levels... We saw on the national news about fish rescues that were taking place due to rivers drying up. Those events really have happened. The recent rain has helped to ease that... I understand that rivers are pretty full again, as are a lot of our reserviours.

But the fact that we've seen flooding shows that the recent rain just isnt getting to the aquafers yet.... It will take a lot more water to re fill them. I know its an easy joke to make, what with this being the wettest drought on record, but if you just do a little bit of reading on the subject, you'll soon see why man parts of the country are still in drought with hosepipe bans in force.

As for water companies selling water to other companies... Its already happening.

Just out of interest EGTC.... Why don't you 'believe' it?.... Do you think they just decided to announce a drought for the fun of it?

In Wiltshire our drought is officially over but the hosepipe ban remains in force.

I think we need to announce a War on Drought. Of course we can't do that for a decade as we have no carriers or naval planes. So not now, but soooon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruggen 130 View Post
    It's rained none stop here that I just throw some fairy liquid on the car and it
    washes itself
    NO don't ever do that it strips all your polish and protection from the paint! Throw car shampoo by all means though.
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VX927 View Post
    Just out of interest EGTC.... Why don't you 'believe' it?.... Do you think they just decided to announce a drought for the fun of it?
    To get more money out of the public, but have them consume less.
    Honestly, MK hasn't been that dry so to be honest with you I didn't really buy into the whole drought thing.
    As we have had rain every day for over a month now (except yesterday and today) the drought has been lifted around here, from my understanding. I guess they didn't need months and months of rainfall to solve the problem afterall.
    Y.N.W.A

Quote Originally Posted by EGTC View Post
    To get more money out of the public, but have them consume less.
    Honestly, MK hasn't been that dry so to be honest with you I didn't really buy into the whole drought thing.
    As we have had rain every day for over a month now (except yesterday and today) the drought has been lifted around here, from my understanding. I guess they didn't need months and months of rainfall to solve the problem afterall.
    How would announcing a drought get more money out of the public? Are you on a water meter? If you are, then implementing a hosepipe ban does the exact opposite to what you think it does.

VeeOne... There are two main issues. One has been an 'Environmental Drought' - Affecting wildlife in our rivers See Here

The other is a shortage on our groundwater supply. That is why you may hear that the drought status has been lifted but the hosepipe ban remains. The water you get out of the hosepipe almost certainly comes from groundwater.

rain

Quote Originally Posted by paul178 View Post
    NO don't ever do that it strips all your polish and protection from the paint! Throw car shampoo by all means though.
    And 6 weeks of none stop rain won't strip your polish of your car?

Rain

While the hosepipe ban goes on how much rain water is sat on shelves in shops and supermarkets all over the world?

While the hosepipe ban goes on how much rain water is sat on shelves in shops and supermarkets all over the world?
    No much! But there is a lot of groundwater sat on shelves! However, people aren't washing their cars, or filling their fish ponds with bottles of Buxton still!

rain

No much! But there is a lot of groundwater sat on shelves! However, people aren't washing their cars, or filling their fish ponds with bottles of Buxton still!
    Not much! our local shops got about 100 gallons of the stuff, It's not supposed to be sat on shelves, rain water/ ground water whats the difference?

Not much! our local shops got about 100 gallons of the stuff, It's not supposed to be sat on shelves, rain water/ ground water whats the difference?
    Dont you just hate it when that happens... Spent 20mins trying to write an informative post just for it to be lost with the click of a button!

So, take 2! - Groundwater and rainwater - Generally speaking, rainwater remains above ground and flows to sea through rives or is stored in above ground reservoirs. However, some rain water does percolate down to become groundwater.

Groundwater is exactly that... Its water that is stored in underground aquifers - Most of our drinking water comes from this .

Most of the water you see on the shelves in shops is sold as 'mineral water'... This is ground water that has been 'filtered' naturally by stone, soil etc, and along the way, it has picked up lots of natural minerals. As with most ground water is is very old... Its been underground for thousands of years. Places like Buxton, in the peak district are sat on top how huge aquifers hence they are able to export so much water out of the region.

To bring it to an aviation theme... RAF Scampton and Waddington are both sat on top of drinking water aquifers (I think within zone 2 - close to the pump!). That means extra care has to be taken above ground... If there were to be a major fuel spillage on an airfield or a leaking underground tank then this would risk contaminating the groundwater. Thats a big problem as trying to remediate an groundwater aquifer is extremely difficult and very expensive (we're talking millions). Very often the first time a fuel station will know that they have a leaking tank is when fuel is detected in a sample of groundwater. That aquifer is then redundant until such time as it is remediated - if indeed it can be.

I sound like a tree hugger here, telling everyone to use water wisely... Believe me, I'm no tree hugger. I use the hose to water my garden, and wash my car (when there is no ban in force!) - I just know a little bit about it, and I know that drought warnings aren't issued for the fun of it, to inconvenience any one, or for making money (there are far easier ways for the government to do all of the above!)
    Last edited by VX927; 13th May 2012 at 22:24. Reason: typo!

So, take 2! - Groundwater and rainwater - Generally speaking, rainwater remains above ground and flows to sea through rives or is stored in above ground reservoirs. However, some rain water does percolate down to become groundwater.

Groundwater is exactly that... Its water that is stored in underground aquifers - Most of our drinking water comes from this .

Most of the water you see on the shelves in shops is sold as 'mineral water'... This is ground water that has been 'filtered' naturally by stone, soil etc, and along the way, it has picked up lots of natural minerals. As with most ground water is is very old... Its been underground for thousands of years. Places like Buxton, in the peak district are sat on top how huge aquifers hence they are able to export so much water out of the region.
    So before we started selling the stuff what happend when all these underground caverns were full up, did that water not rise to the surface and flow into the river just like any other water?

So before we started selling the stuff what happend when all these underground caverns were full up, did that water not rise to the surface and flow into the river just like any other water?
    Don't know about other areas, but in Buxton the water has and still does come to the surface, the town was built as a "Spa" town.

There is at least one drinking fountain constantly running where you can fill your own bottles if you wish FOC.

Thread Information