Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: 100 Sqn Lancaster WW2 Code letters

100 Sqn Lancaster WW2 Code letters

The code "JA" is noted in Vic Flintham/Andy Thomas's "Combat Codes" as 100 Sqn, c44-45 for "C" Flt.
    In Ian Reid's "Lancaster Operations" a photo of ED583 coded "JA-U", appears on P.23 - this a/c is listed in Avro Lancaster the Definitive Record (P190) as "100 Sqn. broke up over N.Thorsby 4 Oct 43.
    Ian also quotes the ORB showing a change from "JA" codes to "HW" in May 1943, with "C" Flt using "FZ".

There is clearly a discrepancy in dates of usage - would anyone be able to offer clarification?

circa Feb 1940 - Feb 1942 NK (previous to that RA).
    Jan 1943 - May 1946 HW
    FZ was used Jan 1943 until 1944, JA from circa 1944 until 1945

There is a memorial in the village to the crew members who were killed . See here ;

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...383#post102383

100 Sqn Lancaster WW2 Code letters

Thanks for the replies.
    Antoni - what is the source of your dates?

ED583 was used to illustrate the fact that it is shown in 2 photographs with the codes JA-U (Lancaster Operations; I Reid); it crashed on 4 Oct 43, coded HW-K ; (Lancaster627.shaunmcguire).
    That is BEFORE the quoted dates of use in Combat Codes of c44/45! The conclusion therefore being that JA codes were in use before October 1943.

Reid, quotes the ORB as JA codes being in use from formation (Dec 42 at Waltham - Jefford, RAF Squadsrons) until MAY 1943 when HW was introduced.

The ORB is usually the best source document and I would lean towards it being correct, however, I have not seen it.

I am attempting to sort out the conflict between sources - both of whom I know are solid researchers.

Could any future replies please quote your sources.

Thread Information