Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHY?

Gaz. I don't think it was caused by other members, just one, who is now taking a "Rest". The forum still is a good one, with a lot of light hearted banter frequently tossed around, but if your going to act like a 5 yr old and throw your toys out of your pram, than expect to be admonished accordingly. I.M.H.O. Deano took the right action. Can you imagine ANY forum that is not patrolled by Mods?.
    I dread to think.Just remember there are those who THINK they know, and those who generaly DO know what they are talking about.
    Things will soon setle down again,well, for a short while, knowing this lot of reprabates
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

@ ppp

Well, I'm not that creative, so I'll leave the naming to someone more adept at these type of things.

However, I have devised a scoring system, the first Stepladder jockey dismounted you get 100 points, if he takes another out during his decent you get 200 points, a third 400 points & so one.
    A bonus of 1000 points is awarded if the last one ends his journey returning to Terra firma within the boundary of a Schloss Pimmel (one of those fortifications at the crowd line fashioned from windbreaks)

(Dr Strangelove & associate's in no way advocate the wilful dislodging of photographers from stepladders & takes no responsibility what so ever for any injuries & subsequent claims for damages thus incurred
    Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

Dr Strangelove. Looking at your addendum, I would have thought enticement to cause damage to those poor deluded photographers is rather naughty, now, when's the next airshow?.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

Quote Originally Posted by tornado64 View Post

next question !!
    Sorry for the quote, Deano, but it'd be confusing if I didn't quote this post when I ask T64 the next question.....

When did you last go to Specsavers?

There's lots of motion blur on this photo and if you've convinced yourself that you can hand-hold at 1/20th without support on the basis of this photo then you need an expert opinion on your eyesight.

Robbo, Or hows about a nice I.S. Lense for such photos.?.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

Lense?

Even with IS 1/20th is pushing it and you'd be better off upping your iso to get a faster shutter speed or supporting the camera on a tripod or convenient object. T64 seems to have picked up a few buzz words without really understanding this photography malarky.

I have a nice 28 to 135 I.S. and just put the camera on "A" and whatever I take suits me. I don't profess to be a David Bailey, as long as I am happy with it, thats all that matters, however there are those that will critisize others photographs, but don't have the knowledge to be able to explain as to how they came to that conclusion.But I certainly wouldn't create merry hell if others pointed out one or two faults with a photo I had taken.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7.

The bloke just likes digging holes.

Robbo. I agree, when your in a hole, stop digging
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

stumped

Quote Originally Posted by tornado64 View Post
    canooist fully manual f22 @ 20 sec handheld on 70-300 @300 end ( breathing optional )

It's this one that has me stumped, how do you get that face pin sharp at that speed and focal length, is the canoe cemented to the river bed:diablo:

Bruggen 130 I.M.H.O. I think thats a load of cobblers to say the least I recon there was a lot of a comp program done on this photo, In 20 secs, he would have been half a mile away:diablo:
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    @ ppp

However, I have devised a scoring system, the first Stepladder jockey dismounted you get 100 points, if he takes another out during his decent you get 200 points, a third 400 points & so one.
    A bonus of 1000 points is awarded if the last one ends his journey returning to Terra firma within the boundary of a Schloss Pimmel (one of those fortifications at the crowd line fashioned from windbreaks)

So we know what the RAF Falcons display team will be aiming to land on this season's shows, if they get wind of the Herr Doktor's game!
    Victor XL231 Blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
    Home of the V-force on the web: http://twittervforce.com/

pic

I think it should say a 20th of a sec Jim, but it's still very slow at 300mm with no IS and hand held.

Bruggen 130 No way was that taken at the top end of a 300mm hand held lense. I would lay a bet on that, there would, and this is only my opinion, quite a bit of distortion due to camera shake.

Don't they do a lot of canoeing in Wales?. I am sure one of our members who lives in Wales could tell us,what they think re the photo, and the given settings as explained, but then we would possibly end up in the photography side, of the Forum.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Just to say that I drive very frequently past the Lakenheath threshold.

Spectators go to the spectator enclosure, spotters congregate in a forest entrance to the south.

Here they are on a raised bank with a clear view of the airfield, and at least 100 YARDS from any fence.

And guess what? Some of them still painstakingly position their step-ladders.

And, in case of high-speed squirrel impact, a goodly number still don hi-viz.

Moggy

PS: Thank you for the information on image stabilization and tripod use. I have learned something today

And to Deano - Sorry D I was out last night, I'm appalled you had to cope with all that nonsense alone.
    Moggy they use step ladders at that location to get the aircraft on the runway and last chance area. You can't get a clear view without as the fence gets in the way.

The fully thing is all three would get exactly the same shot - how boring is that!

Quote Originally Posted by 92fis View Post
    Moggy they use step ladders at that location .....
    Knowing this does you no credit

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RAF Worksop View Post
    The fully (sic)thing is all three would get exactly the same shot - how boring is that!
    So you taking a photo that might be similar to someone else's is boring is it? Right.
    One might have zoomed right with a close crop, one might process the photo in monochrome, one might be using a wideangle. They may all be identical but so what?
    So much for Pathos

I notice from a couple of videos posted from Duxford (Legends), that they still allow "people" to set up camp along the crowd line.
    There were a couple of windbreak camps set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Sorry for the quote, Deano, but it'd be confusing if I didn't quote this post when I ask T64 the next question.....

When did you last go to Specsavers?

There's lots of motion blur on this photo and if you've convinced yourself that you can hand-hold at 1/20th without support on the basis of this photo then you need an expert opinion on your eyesight.
    maybe so but it took first place in a national photography magazines weekly competition for following a brief of "curves " with a stunning image taken within that week and taken on a nikon D40 competing against togs with 1000's of quidsworth of dslr

do for me !!

it's a stunner and you know it !!
    Last edited by tornado64; 4th July 2012 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Lense?

Even with IS 1/20th is pushing it and you'd be better off upping your iso to get a faster shutter speed or supporting the camera on a tripod or convenient object. T64 seems to have picked up a few buzz words without really understanding this photography malarky.
    i grew up with a police photographer brother in law from 1971 and spent a fair percentage of my childhood around a friends studio messing with medium format i also worked freelance at another friends studio doing portraiture and colour D&P as well as hanging around comercial labs as a teenager i was also a member of my local camera club, as a kid i started on zenits with my own black and white darkroom then progressed onto full olympus OM systems cameras with my own colour darkroom ( my first 500mm lens was owned by 16yrs of age ) then i progressed onto nikon f's before going digital

i obviously learned nothing !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruggen 130 View Post
    It's this one that has me stumped, how do you get that face pin sharp at that speed and focal length, is the canoe cemented to the river bed:diablo:
    easy as !! subject observation !! when paddling upstream a cannoeist often stays stationary in the water (particularly in the head and torso area ) and often when actualy moving it is very lazy movement the settings stated were all that i wanted to use for a weekly contest brief ( movement ) i had no tripod as i was out mountain biking at the time so the camera was in a belt pack .. the shot took joint third ironicly i was told i would have taken first with another shot i wasn't happy with but it had a little more blurr but more river (some you win !!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln 7 View Post
    Bruggen 130 No way was that taken at the top end of a 300mm hand held lense. I would lay a bet on that, there would, and this is only my opinion, quite a bit of distortion due to camera shake.

Don't they do a lot of canoeing in Wales?. I am sure one of our members who lives in Wales could tell us,what they think re the photo, and the given settings as explained, but then we would possibly end up in the photography side, of the Forum.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    i'm happy knowing i did what i did and others struggle 1000's of quid on equipment will never beat thousands of hours holding a camera and practicing breatholding etc to get results if your budget didn't streatch to film and materials as a kid but i found many hours practicing holding and moving without film in paid dividends !!

T64, What were the min and max F stops on your 300mm lense?.
    I dug out an old Canon 300mm EF lense, and at the max range, hand held, you could see distortion at the edges.Certainly not as good as the I.S. Lense I have.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7

A new tool in the war against step ladders...

and a new tool in the war against windbreak fortresses...

ppp

So it's YOU I see at airshows, flogging these products.

Jim.
    Lincoln .7

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln 7 View Post
    T64, What were the min and max F stops on your 300mm lense?.
    I dug out an old Canon 300mm EF lense, and at the max range, hand held, you could see distortion at the edges.Certainly not as good as the I.S. Lense I have.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    tamron 70-300 f4 f5.6 also goes down to f32 , distortion has never been an issue for me certainly never been an issue when it has beaten more expensive gear in competition

How does one compete in photography? Surely judging just becomes a matter of taste (snobbery)?

exactly but photography is so much more than blindly following sharp focus some follow that end missing the shot because they didn't view it as perfect focus

i don't enter comps that have the same staid judges every time ( you get to know what individuals want to see and you blindly follow what they want )

comps i enter are judged by the previous weeks winner

as far as equipment goes there is a lot of bull**** sold by companies selling you gear i have won and been placed using a second hand 3mp fuji s3000 baught on ebay for 25 quid ( not a brilliant camera ) but used in the right conditions with a realy nice 100 ISO setting it could give superb results and beat off many 1000's of quidsworth dslr owners

i go to my anual photographic clubs exhibition and many exhibit year after year slightly difrent shots from the same shoot , this doesn't tell me they are a good consistent all round photographer it tells me they knew one subject in one type of lighting and had one good afternoons shooting

irony sees these hopeless togs winning club events as no doubt they are fantastic shots but they have learned very little but how to do one subject in one light on one setting !!

and that is the difrence it is laughed by most of these guys using step ladders good photography practice is exploring all options it may only be a little difrence but that marginal difrence can make a difrence

for instance i waas stood in a multi story building when discussing this subject originaly and was experimenting with views of objects and it is suprising how small a movement can give totaly differing views over distance

there was a church obscured by a closer building but a move sideways revealed it movement ( less than 2 ft )

what a lot forget as well is just because it is at hieght doesn't mean it will be one type of view they may also experiment against slightly difrent cloud formation and slightly differing exposures

i look at a lot of the aircraft shots on here ( most are fantastic quality ) but few are what i class as good photographicly !! why ?? because most cater to only one group aviation fanatics so most follow being superb reccord shots with very little photographic art !!

but as said they are terrific work towards thier purpose

i think personaly i have only seen one shot that filled both areas brilliantly and that was a small in the frame mono looking spitfire take off shot with superb tones and a superb surrounding landscape and perfect lighting as happens it had great focus too but in all fairness on that image that was a small considderation as everything else was leaps and bounds above most others !!
    Last edited by Deano; 5th July 2012 at 11:09. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bruggen 130 View Post
    as the video demonstrates although paddlingupstream there are moments when the canoe and paddler are still in the water

as said it is a matter of observing your subject and knowing what you want to achieve because of the shutter speed used even at the lowest iso it was still overexposing so f22 was the only option as i had no ND filter to loose a few stops as i was travelling light on my bike

http://youtu.be/6Gsy30C0BzQ

Thread Information