Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Purpose Built Viewing Park Birmingham Airport

Purpose Built Viewing Park Birmingham Airport

Hi I'm posting this to guage oppinion about an Idea I have for a purpose built viewing park to be built over looking Birmingham Aiport, this facility would be similar to Manchesters fine viewing park, but without the aircraft exhibits, but would have all the creature comforts to hand and facilities Including - a good aircraft shop selling all hobby related goods, a good fast food/restaraunt and fully equipped w/c facilities.
    Of special note would be the Viewing Platforms that could be constructed on top of the porta cabins (shop and Fast Food) with access by stairs and upto the top of the fast food a lift for wheel chairs etc. Ontop of the fast food would be chairs and tables with parasoles for fast food/rest, use, ontop of the shop benches could be fitted for viewing use.
    A covered see through roof would be fitted between thease two porta cabins and underneath seeting for when the weather turns, along with more seeting Infront of the facilities on paved areas.
    A car park would be provided for over 100 cars and situated just yards away from the main park, but still allowing views of aircraft on approach or takeoff.
    Admission prices could be based on a car and perhaps £5 for all day use with foot and bicycle users free.

Any feedback would be greatfully recieved

C D

I'm not familiar with Birmingham, but as ideas go this is an excellent proposal.

I like the idea of bikes and foot being free too.

Keeping all interested folk in on place with amenities is always going to be a plus.

The fact that authorites seem to want little to do with providing facillities doesn't necessaraly mean they would oppose anything that third parties are willing to put into place.

Thumbs up

Many Thanks for the kind words.

nd
    This is possibly what I'm on about ------- Layout and views possible(But would be better and higher up as pics where on groud)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHX Viewing Park.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	204896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC0000880 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	204897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC0000882 (1024x731).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	204898  
    Last edited by Deano; 5th May 2012 at 22:01. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Definitely a brilliant idea... Have you spoke to the airport authority,airport cops, airport security about it??
    Too often than not they throw ideas of spotters facilities out using the tired "security" reason...but are more than happy to have local spotters do their work for them around perimeters when seeing someone out of place... they need to realise that having a central facility for spotters should eliminate MOST need for folk lurking around perimeters (Photographers looking for a good shot excepted) and make their job easier.
    Really wish you great luck on getting this going...i would DEFFO pay a visit with my van if passing (Pls keep prices fair...the MAN AVP take the p**s with their greedy parking charges and TRY to make me pay tariff for a coach because it's a van!!....i no longer frequent this money hole)
    Best of luck

Although Birmingham is not my local/nearest airport, that idea of yours looks fantastic. Bearing the above in mind, dont they already have some kind of viewing area, with some of the amenities? Maybe I've got it wrong or it's now closed, but I seem to remember hearing that the Ian Alan book co, had a store there, that was bought out by the same guy that runs the enthusiasts shop at EMA.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Hi, Thanks for the reply, there are no current viewing facilities at the airport, the area you are on about closed down some years ago and Is now used as a school/college learning centre with no general purpose viewing possible their, the only place that Is suggested at the moment Is a 10ft piece of grass at the end of the long stay car park with the fence In front of you and 1000 ish cars and no facilities of any kind.

Also of note Is : The area I am thinking about would also be fantastic for Airways Spotting as there Is un-obscured sky N/S/E and West for the Daventry/Lichfield corridors so plenty of North UK/North USA flights easily visable.

Picture posted shows the possible location of the viewing park In location to the airport complex, the park Is on the right (L type shape) between the B Road and Airport Way(Long Stay car park).
    Photo opportunties from the platforms(possibly 14ft high) would be brilliant, Inparticular rotating aircraft and landing would be great, and positioning aircraft on the apron around the old terminal 2 would be great as would aircraft taxing to join the 33 runway would also be great.

C D
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Deano; 5th May 2012 at 22:01. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Thanks for that information. Then I think that they should take your idea seriously. I guess Stansted could do with something similar, but with an endless flow of virtually unpunctuated Ryanair and Easyjet movements, I think I would give it a miss.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

I'd love the idea to come to fruition!
    Y.N.W.A

More Information about my Idea to show Its possible layout and how close It would be for viewing/photo's.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC0000886 (1024x517).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	204977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birmingham Viewing Park 1.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	204978  

shame they could not have used the art deco original terminal for one
    since it closed mid 80s

Another Pic, showing how close the park would be yet far enough away not to be a security Issue like It would be If touching the airport fence.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't wish to sidetrack this thread, but could anyone tell me please where is currently the best spot to view aircraft inside the terminal at Birmingham? Due to fly from there in about 3 weeks, but no time to go outside the terminal. Thanks for any help or info.
    Terms & Conditions Apply.

Hi,

Its been a long time since I used to work there and Its been modernised quite abit, but I know you can get some quite good apron shots from the International Pier as they have plenty of windows, not sure about International Departures lounge or facilities might be some windows to look through or possibly the bars????
    Last edited by Deano; 5th May 2012 at 22:02. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Thanks very much for that. I will give it a go when we get there.
    Terms & Conditions Apply.

Does anyone remember visiting the viewing facility above the present terminal that has been closed down to the general public, I'm trying to get an Idea roughly how many people used to visit per day, as I used to visit In-frequently but It used to look quite busy some days.

Any Ideas.....?

Just thought I would bring people up to speed with my Idea, Im bust talking to some quite Influential people within the media world and I am finding some easier to track down than others, but after reading a few posts from people having an horrendous time trying to spend a few hours watching planes at Birmingham and just finding no where to view from, not to mention bored and fed up wives, It just encourages me even more to make my venture a very real location.........

Thread Information