Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: That could have been nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    What utter ********. Speed in itself isn't dangerous at all, inappropriate speed however is. but you already knew that, didn't you?

speed limits were put there for a reason i assume "muppet boy " would be a fair assumption of you from others come the innevitable day that you fall off

you are of course totaly correct speed never killed any biker it is usualy the rapid deceleration on an imovable object !!

Looks like my other assumption was correct. You REALLY don't have the first frigging clue.

One more time:

Explain the difference between all 5 of us stopping & only 4?
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado64 View Post
    ...there was no considderation for a downed biker...

...whilst it may no be compulsory it shows the standard of curtessy to other humans still i guess it would be difrent if it was him that rode past the exceptionaly experienced and in the right you...
    So your basic problem is that to have ridden past shows a lack of courtesy and consideration...

...courtesy and consideration for a guy on a powerful bike, pushing it to and (apparently) beyond his ability on a public road?

Sorry, you can’t take the moral-high-ground under those circumstances; this guy wasn’t on his way to work, he was looking for excitement by riding near to the limit of his ability and unfortunately he ended up on his ****! Fortunately it didn’t appear to be an accident that would lead to a life-threatening injury for him, or more importantly, anybody else. While he may not have deserved what he got surely he must have been aware that the way he was riding greatly increased the chances of something like this happening (with all the consequences for himself and other innocent parties) and yet he still chose to ride this way!

If you ride like that on a public road you must take responsibility for the consequences!

And, no, I wouldn’t expect to be treated differently had it been me in similar circumstances; in different circumstances, where serious injury was likely, I’d have stopped but in this case, no, I wouldn’t see the need.
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    So your basic problem is that to have ridden past shows a lack of courtesy and consideration...

...courtesy and consideration for a guy on a powerful bike, pushing it to and (apparently) beyond his ability on a public road?

Actually all he did was lose his balance. The video doesn't really show it, but that's a fairly steep road. As I came around the corner he was just starting to pull out & do an illegal u-turn (no crossing over solid double yellows). When he saw me he grabbed a handful of front brake & fell on his ass.
    He didn't see the guy on the KTM until he flashed by in front of him, but by that time he was already on his butt.

The guy on the KTM confronted the Suzuki guy at the parking area just up the hill after they got themselves sorted out. The guy on the KTM was hauling butt, but he managed to aim for the only open space he could see. He could have maybe tightened his line & passed behind the fallen bike but he didn't have much time to think, just react.

I could have passed either side of it, but when KTM guy went to his left, I had to go to mine.

The point is that if the guy on Suzuki hadn't have seen me & grabbed his brake when he did, the KTM would have either hit him broadside on & my video would have been full of flying plastic, or he would have had to go further to his left which would have put him over the edge & into the canyon about 200ft below.
    Last edited by ZRX61; 14th April 2012 at 01:54.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

presently i have an old cb100n that is getting a nut and bolt custom cafe racer build and a cm 125 daily use bike not quick or glamourous but good for the use they are being put to and ecconomical
    Interesting choice for a cafe racer.
    Will that be on 'L' plates??

As to the stopping business.
    As I said, I might have stopped but if I had the bit between my teeth--well then you might have had to ask me again.

ZRX61, I might have missed something in all of this, what are you riding??
    The bloke coming the other way probably felt luckey afterwards.

A.
    It is better to be born a beggar than a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in Beds View Post
    Interesting choice for a cafe racer.
    Will that be on 'L' plates??

what exact relavence has that got to do with anything ?? yes on L plates

but a return after many years where i never felt the need to own a large machine as i was happy knocking about local roads in reasonable speed limits wich smaller bikes are more than capable of without insurance premiums akin to a mortgage

but i may add my first spell was as a full time biker not a sunny weekend warrior ten years in sun , rain , sleet , snow , ice and hailstone

in my first 2 yrs i had covered 24000 miles on bikes

some may have bigger bikes they escape to the hills on on sunday

and some of us ride high milage day in and day out

so which do you call a biker ??

One more time:

Explain the difference between all 5 of us stopping & only 4?
    fair enough yiou can't teach manners !!

ZRX. Rick, what were you doing a Vid for?. Surley this is an inducement for the other riders with you to ride faster, as it would make for better filming?.
    And why was the rider doing a "U" turn on a solid line on his side of the road, seems it's like it is over here, no Coppers about, lets go mad.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

...lost his balance.....fairly steep road.....an illegal u-turn.....the canyon about 200ft below.
    Which parts of your description do you think the lawyers would be interested in if this had been a more serious accident?
    WA$.

very true and lets not forget the many sucessful prosecutions from fools stupid enough to put thier antics on you tube !!
    Last edited by Deano; 4th May 2012 at 21:04. Reason: CoC Rule 15

Have to say, I firmly agree with Tornado here.

I used to commute to work 5 days a week (540 miles)
    runaround (120 miles) per week, Coastguard work approx 80 miles per week, so on average 740 miles every week in all weathers. This equates to nearly 3,000 miles a month, every month. (Yammy 750 shaft)

However, never on a weekend, too dangerous in Cornwall with all the 'Sunday' riders tear ar5ing up and down the country roads. I would swap to my trusty old 109" Landy.

SpitfireCorner (where I live) is in fact two bends one of which is a lovely sweeping curve to the left, the other is a nasty tight (90 degrees) right hander.
    Between these two bends is the approach to RAF St Mawgan, so a further distraction to the unwary with aircraft 40ft above your head. I have at least 4/5 bikers run out of road here every year and it is quite usual for a broken collar bone etc. Although they give the impression they are ok by getting up, they are in fact incapacitated, unable to move their bike and quite naturally, going into shock.
    So, what can 5 bikers do?
    Well I guess 1 could render first aid, 1 could nip up the road to warn the traffic approaching one way and 1 could nip down the road for the other. This leaves 2 to remove the wrecked bike to the side of the road and call the ambulance. Whether the guy is considered a muppet or not, should not be a prerequisite for getting assistance.

Just because he is moving doesn't mean he's not injured.

Next time.....stop.
    Last edited by spitfireman; 14th April 2012 at 10:31.
    www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Vamp T11 XE921, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

so which do you call a biker ??
    The ones who have passed their test....

ZRX61, I might have missed something in all of this, what are you riding??
    The bloke coming the other way probably felt luckey afterwards.
    A.
    Probablt took a while to get the seat out of his butt... I was on my ZRX1100

fair enough yiou can't teach manners !!
    It's got FA to do with manners

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln 7 View Post
    ZRX. Rick, what were you doing a Vid for?. Surley this is an inducement for the other riders with you to ride faster, as it would make for better filming?.
    And why was the rider doing a "U" turn on a solid line on his side of the road, seems it's like it is over here, no Coppers about, lets go mad.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    Rule #1: NEVER ride for the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    Which parts of your description do you think the lawyers would be interested in if this had been a more serious accident?
    They'd have gone after the pillock on the Gixer that started the entire event.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfireman View Post
    So, what can 5 bikers do?
    Well I guess 1 could render first aid, 1 could nip up the road to warn the traffic approaching one way and 1 could nip down the road for the other. This leaves 2 to remove the wrecked bike to the side of the road and call the ambulance. Whether the guy is considered a muppet or not, should not be a prerequisite for getting assistance.

Just because he is moving doesn't mean he's not injured.

Next time.....stop.
    One more time:
    Lead bike missed the wreck, bikes 3 thru 6 stopped, bike 2 (me) chased down the lead bike.
    By the time the bike behind me had stopped the guy was already on his feet picking the bike up. He had it on it's wheels & out of the road in SECONDS. The only danger at that point was the pillocks in the minivan who parked in the middle of the road to rubberneck.

Oh, I touched a raw nerve there.
    I just thought you'd carry more weight in your role as self appointed motorcycling safety expert if you had passed your test at some point.
    I mean you've had quite some time to apply etc.

you might be surprised at the attitude of many instructors (both civilian and Police) to speed and it's useage--also filtering and other stuff.

As to what I call a biker..??
    it's a term I never use--it's too limiting as a description.

you might be surprised at the attitude of many instructors (both civilian and Police) to speed and it's useage--also filtering and other stuff.

Wouldn't surprise me. I've had conversations with Laura Norder where they have question exactly why I felt the need to travel at fairly rapid levels of motion & been told to "take it a bit easy in future".. & that includes 105mph on a freeway by the CHP, also 85 in a 50 & 90 in 55 on the same road, two weeks apart by the same Dibble... & not even been given a written warning, let alone a Performance Award... & that's without asking for mercy/a warning/promising not to be a **** in future etc. They just look at my advanced age, documents, run me through the computer to see if I'm *known* to them & tell me to ****** off
    Last time, I was asked why I was going 63 in a 45 (truck, not the bike) I said 'I guess I had my head up my ass". Cop laughed & let me go

I was talking to an instructor in my workshop as recently as yesterday and he was telling me how agressive some of the instructors on the local 'plod' bike refresher course (Bikesafe) encourage riders to be.
    One of the expressions used was 'hunt the overtake'.
    Now I've done a bit in my time but I'd rather make my own assessment of that one--each instance as it comes up.

That Kawasaki of yours probably sticks the fear of Christ into the odd Sports bike rider too.

A.

That Kawasaki of yours probably sticks the fear of Christ into the odd Sports bike rider too.

A.
    It's a bit quicker than stock since I stuffed the engine full of ZZR11 parts The ride last weekend was 4 ZRX's, a ZX10 & a one day old Z1000. We made good progress...
    I also got a video of some chap in an Exige waving me past on a blind left hander with oncoming traffic. I declined his invitation as I could see round the corner, but he couldn't because his butt was a lot closer to the ground. I stayed behind him enjoying the view for a mile or so.
    As for "hunt the overtake", CHP riders are instructed to ride a bit faster than the rest of the traffic as it's found to be safer that way to travel by bike. They don't always appreciate civvies knowing that, but it will usually get you out of a ticket... depending on ones interpretation of "a bit faster".
    Last edited by ZRX61; 14th April 2012 at 18:23.

Well if I can ever get the camshafts back into the engines, I own a couple of these (amongst other things).
    Both have their thirtieth birthday next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfJ9IqXcoE

A.

Oh, I touched a raw nerve there.
    I just thought you'd carry more weight in your role as self appointed motorcycling safety expert if you had passed your test at some point.
    I mean you've had quite some time to apply etc.

As to what I call a biker..??
    it's a term I never use--it's too limiting as a description.

my instructors attitude was the limmits are there for a reason !! he was on an 1100 machine

fair goes i may have a small bike and may not have passed the test but it duesn't mean i haven't put in the miles in all weathers

to be told i'm not a biker by imbeciles that pass thier test at 40 something then go round to the local bike shop and buy the biggest sport bike possible to go and terrorise the roads and other road users on a sunny sunday once a month or maybe weekly if thier wives let them whilst videoing it for you tube

if i'm totaly honnest i trust some teens on scooters to ride better than the mid life crisis brigade !!

my instructors attitude was the limmits are there for a reason !!
    Revenue generation...

imbeciles that pass thier test at 40 something then go round to the local bike shop and buy the biggest sport bike possible to go and terrorise the roads and other road users on a sunny sunday once a month or maybe weekly if thier wives let them whilst videoing it for you tube
    None of them in our group, we won't ride with weekend ******s. (we did once, it didn't end well). Been riding on the street since '76 & the current bike has just a hair under 100,000 miles on it. Hopefully it will beat the 165,000 miles I had on my '83 GPz1100... When the ZRX rolls over 100K I know I'll be over 1.5M miles total, I already am, but I don't count miles on other peoples bikes, just my Kaw's including 800K as a London courier.
    My ex missus took her test on a '78 Z1000-A2... her first bike...

Revenue generation...
    aint that the truth brother !!

fair goes i may have a small bike and may not have passed the test but it duesn't mean i haven't put in the miles in all weathers
    Never said you hadn't. We've all been soaked to the skin more times than we care to remember--plus frozen, frost-bitten and otherwise p*ssed off.

to be told i'm not a biker by imbeciles that pass thier test at 40 something then go round to the local bike shop and buy the biggest sport bike possible to go and terrorise the roads and other road users on a sunny sunday once a month or maybe weekly if thier wives let them whilst videoing it for you tube
    Yes, but essentially your refusal to take and pass your test exploits what is essentially a loop-hole in the law. The spirit of the law (if such a thing exists) is that a provisional license is a stepping stone to a proper full license--proof that the rider is competent--not something to be perpetually renewed with the occasional re-take of the CBT.
    At you age you could consider a direct entry test I would think.
    I think your attitude reflects a certain amount of hypocrisy to be honest. You're happy to quote the law at others while conveniently choosing which bits apply to you--and while not actually breaking the law, you are bending it to suit your convenience.

If you're wondering if I'm a born at forty biker then I'm not. I passed my test when I was seventeen and have ridden (with a couple of gaps) ever since. I'm fifty in October.
    And whatever you say, the forty something blokes who ride apparently so badly (and some do) on their Gixxers, Hayabusa's and Blades have done just that--passed their test.
    I'm happy for you to read about me here...

http://www.andysbikes.co.uk/index.php

if i'm totaly honnest i trust some teens on scooters to ride better than the mid life crisis brigade !!
    You've very obviously never worked in a bike shop in Luton..!!

Andy.

Was in the same area today. I parked up for a while. Gixerboy wasn't around, assuming he ran out of bikes after wadding 2 last weekend. In the video there's a guy pulled over on the left, on a blue/white R1 (or gixer?) without a fairing. The reason he pulled over there was so he could also do a Uturn where brainiac dumped his gixer last sunday. I saw that guy again today & he ran up & down that road about 6 times, stopping to do a uturn exactly where his thickheaded oppo crashed last weekend..

Why am I begining to think that this is all staged?. Just have that "Gut feeling". Or perhaps it's just me being a bit pessimistic.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

dunno but one fella fell off his 500 this morning , except i stopped enquired if he was ok helped him to get his bike up then departed for work

if that makes me the lesser biker i'm perfectly happy not to be tarred with the same brush !!

and yes there were others there but he was still apreciative !!
    Last edited by Deano; 4th May 2012 at 21:05. Reason: CoC Rule 15

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln 7 View Post
    Why am I begining to think that this is all staged?. Just have that "Gut feeling". Or perhaps it's just me being a bit pessimistic.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    ? what's staged?

Little bit of Los Angeles lane splitting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOmYRjQDSoA

dunno but one fella fell off his 500 this morning , except i stopped enquired if he was ok helped him to get his bike up then departed for work
    if that makes me the lesser biker i'm perfectly happy not to be tarred with the same brush !!
    and yes there were others there but he was still apreciative !!
    What sort of 500?
    I ask because it's an unusual engine capacity these days and the bike may therefore have been something vintage.
    Most Japanese bikes tend towards 600 or 650 in the modern era.

Andy

Just for a spot of thread R&R

Used to own a 500, a Yammy XT500, one of my all time favourites, lots of fun, one of the few bikes that I actually miss.

Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

A good XT is worth a few bob these days.

Thread Information