Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RFC 100th Anniversary, What Are You doing?

RFC 100th Anniversary, What Are You doing?

We are unveiling a new exhibit...

Here's the press release:

100th Anniversary of the Royal Flying Corps

The Royal Flying Corps (RFC) was established April 13, 1912 and operated until April 1, 1918 when all of Britian’s air operations were amalgamated into the Royal Air Force (RAF).

Britain realized both the potential and importance of the aircraft as a tool of war early and established the RFC to train pilots and crew as well as developing the aircraft as reconnaissance tool using aerial photography. When the First World War started in 1914 the reconnaissance capability became crucial to combat on the ground. Knowing where the enemy was, how they were set up and what troop movements were being made were critical to developing the ground strategy.

Soon both sides sought to deny the enemy the ability to gain information from aerial reconnaissance leading to the development of specialized fighter aircraft and combat tactics.

The aerial arms race quickly produced technological advances and massed fleets of aircraft on both sides.
    Canadians in the Royal Flying Corps

Few Canadians know that Canadian fighter pilots in the First World War ranked with the best, with many of the top aces being Canadian.

Two of the most noteworthy Canadian airmen of the war were William (Billy) Bishop, awarded the Victoria Cross, and William (Billy) Barker, the most decorated British Soldier (all services) of the First World War.

Edmontonians in the Royal Flying Corps

Even fewer know of the aircrews from Edmonton and area that left their mark in the RFC and during the aerial combats of the First World War.
    - Stanley Winther Caws, First Canadian killed in aerial combat (1915).
    - Arthur Roy Brown, Credited by the RAF with the downing of the “Red Baron”
    - Wilfrid R (Wop) May, almost the 81st victim of the “Red Baron”. Went on to become a Canadian Ace and eventually one of Canadian’s most famous aviators.

The Alberta Aviation Museum is celebrating this 100th Anniversary as well as Canadian and Edmontonian contributions with a new exhibit to be unveiled 9:00am Friday morning. This Exhibit will continue to evolve with special artifacts and custom built models being added to the story through 2012.

We are hoping you can join us as we add this exhibit promoting Canadian
    and Edmontonian history.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum
    Media contact: 780-907-8455

Today we flew the BE2 replica into Farnborough, first BE2 to land at Farnborough since 1918. The A/C was then parked infront of the Black Sheds and Trenchard house next to the Cody Memorial for a photo call with local and Aviation press. Have to thank all at Farnborough for coping so well with an arrival of a Edwardian Biplane on 24 hard!!!
    A great day and what a privilege it was to take a BE2 back to where it all began 100 years ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1447.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	204655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1452.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	204656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1444.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	204657  
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

The Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop is revamping its early days/RFC displays, due for opening in May.
    I like the original insurance certificate for FS Cody. Cover for experimental flying in 1910 for a whopping £7 10s. (£7.50p for you youngsters)

As Blue Max said above. A special privilege to be able to be part of the Centennial celebrations with the BE2 replica at Farnborough Air Sciences Trust yesterday.

A big thankyou too, to TAG Aviation, who now run Farnborough, for fitting the BE in amongst a hosted of bemused business jets!

We also hope to be part of celebration activities with No.II (AC) Sqn at Marham in May and at the Central Flying School in June, so a busy few weeks ahead!

Name:	BE2 Farnborough 1913.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	204676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP4120346.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	204677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP4120349.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	204678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP4120354.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	302.3 KB 
ID:	204679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP4120360.jpg 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	204680  

Last edited by low'n'slow; 13th April 2012 at 10:33.

Yes, jolly good fun it was, too

A little surreal, to waft down onto the acres of tarmac, with all the memories of the great air displays from the Glory Years.

The aircraft tug had enough grunt to tow a 747, so he expended his spare energy in pulling the BE at 40 mph instead !

Thanks to Matt for a nice steady ride.

Name:	002 copy - Copy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	204688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010 copy.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	204689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013 copy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	204690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017 (2) copy.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	204691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026 (2).jpg 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	204692  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023 copy.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	204693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045 copy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	204694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032 copy.jpg 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	204695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008 copy.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	204696  

First weekend of May I'll be at RFC Stow Maries
    Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground

http://electric-edwardians.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

Great pictures as always Andy, and it was a pleasure

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

I've been told that on Saturday 12th May the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop is having a static display from the WW1 display team of replica aircraft along with re-enactors on the ground.
    There is also going to be the official opening of the museum's revamped pre WW1 and WW1 display.
    I'm told its not a flying display or a fly-in but the aircraft have to arrive and depart and no doubt the WW1 display team will be practicing their routine.
    Let's just hope that this torrential drought stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlangham View Post
    First weekend of May I'll be at RFC Stow Maries
    What will be happening there apart from the Fly-in ? It says something about an air show, although I didn't think
    they were allowed airshows (as such) at Stow Maries.
    Last edited by ~Alan~; 28th April 2012 at 10:15.

I've just found out that the event at Middle Wallop on 12th May is FREE which also includes entry to the museum

The website says that the Great War Display Team will be flying 2 shows a day. The rest of the "display" will be large scale radio control models.
    Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder this time. Unfortunately both the fly ins I attended at Stow Maries last year were blighted by strong winds which reduced the number of visitors. They definitely deserve better luck with the weather this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    The website says that the Great War Display Team will be flying 2 shows a day. The rest of the "display" will be large scale radio control models.
    Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder this time. Unfortunately both the fly ins I attended at Stow Maries last year were blighted by strong winds which reduced the number of visitors. They definitely deserve better luck with the weather this year.
    I don't think it's looking too hopeful for this weekend. Car parking could be a problem on waterlogged fields.
    The weather forecast for the rest of the week and weekend looks petty foul

We'll be off with the BE-2 at the end of next week (11-12 May) to help No.II (AC) Sqn help celebrate their Centenary among their Tornados at Marham.

Should be interesting. Not sure whether there is public access but even if not, we'll post some photos!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    I don't think it's looking too hopeful for this weekend. Car parking could be a problem on waterlogged fields.
    The weather forecast for the rest of the week and weekend looks petty foul
    Also the restrictions in airspace around Brentwood and Chelmford for the RAF Olympic Flypast preparations for Saturday and Sunday dont look to much fun either!!
    Sadly at the moment Sywell is water logged and not open untill at least Monday And thats before the rain that is forecast tomorrow so I think the BE2 will be staying firmly in the hangar, and with the forcast for the weekend they dont seem to have much luck with the weather at Stow Maries
    Lets hope the weather improves before the following weekend and our trip to Marham

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
    Also the restrictions in airspace around Brentwood and Chelmsford for the RAF Olympic Flypast preparations for Saturday and Sunday don't look to much fun either!!
    I mentioned this to a friend who does a lot of flying at Stapleford. He didn't know anything about it, and cant locate a NOTAM.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    Whatever happens, the Great War Society will be there doing a WW1 Infantry and Royal Flying Corps display, including myself, with the Sopwith Pup static replica they have there. Just finished repairs to one of my replica Lewis guns and ready for the three hour trip tomorrow!
    Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground

http://electric-edwardians.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

Quote Originally Posted by Rlangham View Post
    Whatever happens, the Great War Society will be there doing a WW1 Infantry and Royal Flying Corps display, including myself, with the Sopwith Pup static replica they have there. Just finished repairs to one of my replica Lewis guns and ready for the three hour trip tomorrow!
    Doesnt look like I will make it down to Stow this weekend with the forcast and Sywell Closed untill next week!! So look after my Pup Rob, I dont want any holes in it!!!

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Meanwhile - we're busy enough indoors!!

Last edited by low'n'slow; 4th May 2012 at 13:53.

Looks like its a night shot. Will we be seeing a CGI Zeppelin in the final version?

The positioning of the Lewis gun on a Strange mount may be a hint!!

If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

Thread Information