Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rothmans Aerobatic Team

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    John Jordan's Pitts S-1 was also used as a static display piece.

Biggin Hill 18 May 1974 - the only time I ever saw the S1. I believe it was built at Old Warden but have no idea of its ultimate fate.
    Apologies for the quality - scanned from the original print and taken with a Boots instamatic camera so it wasn't good in the first place.

Whatever became of Brendan O'Brian?
    He hosted a TV series that was shown in the US on the old Wings network, haven't seen him since.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    Whatever became of Brendan O'Brian?
    He hosted a TV series that was shown in the US on the old Wings network, haven't seen him since.
    Brendan is still about in recent years he has been doing his trailer top landing crazy flying act with a J3 Cub
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    Biggin Hill 18 May 1974 - the only time I ever saw the S1. I believe it was built at Old Warden but have no idea of its ultimate fate.
    ... ...
    G-AXNZ is now a static exhibit in Rahmi M. Koc Muzesi in Istanbul.

Tim
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Thanks for that. Shame it isn't in the UK. The Pitts design is old enough to qualify for a place in the collection at Old Warden now and there would have been no better candidate than one which was "built on the premises".

Here's some I took earlier.... At Booker C1972
    Last edited by Banupa; 4th October 2012 at 13:28.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

The mention of John Jordan's Pitts reminded me of a flight on the 10th November 1984. I hadn't had my PPL long and had joined The Stevenage Flying Club to take advantage of their very reasonable rates flying Thruxton Jackaroo G-AOIR. All new club members were required to do 15 hours dual before being let loose solo. On this occasion I was stooging around near Old Warden with Andy Watson as my check pilot, when on the wing tips appeared John Bygraves in his Stolp Starduster and John Jordan in his Pitts . As a low houred PPL I was a bit surprised, as they were in very tight formation! I carried on straight and level just in case, when "Bertie" Bygraves peeled off to return to Old warden. John Jordan disappeared too...only to reappear inverted above my head :diablo:! John Jordan was always bouncing you and continued so to do even when I had my Auster some years later.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ244 View Post
    Thanks for that. Shame it isn't in the UK. The Pitts design is old enough to qualify for a place in the collection at Old Warden now and there would have been no better candidate than one which was "built on the premises".
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

A Survivor

I took this photo of VH-BVS at Jamestown, South Australia a couple of years agow.
    With the "Rothmans" it was Neil Williams' mount, G-AXYW.

Digger, OZ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Survivor

oops that should be VH-BVU

Thread Information