Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Horsa MKI Arnhem

Horsa MKI Arnhem

For those interested have just finished a new publication

70 pages, 75 photographs/pictures/maps/drawings

20 euro's europe/22 euro's outside europe, postage included

What's it like on details of Serials/CN's because thats one area that really frustrates me when trying to do research.
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."

It holds all serials numbers that flew to Arnhem, chalk numbers only a few as that was different for every operation, and only a few chalk numbers of Arnhem are know.

Its mainly about the building, what happened during and after the battle, and the modification tags, as people use to think that when they got a modification tags it was the same as the chalk number, which is not correct

Philip,

Sounds interesting and I'm a little curious.

One thing though in your last statement intrigues me as it seems to contradict all the books/research I've seen to date.

My belief was that the chalk numbers were wildly known but it was the crews/loads and serial numbers of the Horsas that were in dispute. Mostly this was down to the Form B's not being complete and the fact that the gliders serial was never used in paper work, just it's chalk number.

I've been trying for years to match up chalk numbers visible in photographs with aircraft serials which is why this sounds interesting...
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."

I expect you guys have already seen a book called 'Glider pilots at Arnhem'
    I was reading it recently and it made most references to the 'chalk numbers'
    One of the more amusing references was that 12 'stowaways' were known!
    RAF and Army types who wanted to go too!
    mmitch.

Thanks mmitch, yes I know the book as I know both authors.

Regarding the chalk numbers, from memory I can't tell you which ones, but it seems that only the even or oneven loading list survived sometimes some loading list with chalk numbers turn up in the National Archives in Kew.

In the book are two so called glider cards with serial number and what happened to both the gliders.

booklet sold out

Shame. I was planning on ordering one when I got back from holiday

Arnhem, Martin Middlebrook.
    In the above book it mentions a Halifax tail gunner who watched the Horsa it was towing "break up in mid air (tail came off) and crash to earth".

Do you have any information regarding this incident and was any cause ever found?

Thought it might of been the Double Hills Horsa mentioned here before but that was towed by a Stirling.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=104374

I know of a few gliders that disintegrated on the way, accounts of other pilots seeing jeeps falling out of the sky with the drivers still sat in them flak just making entired gliders vanish in a puff of smoke and splinters.
    Last edited by OneEighthBit; 22nd May 2012 at 08:15.

Yes, that was the one. Looks like premature detonation of the tail, but I guess exact reason unknown. Very tragic.

Double Hills

There are 2 booklet about 9th Field Company RE, the one by John Sliz, is still available

As I`ve mentioned on the other thread,a witness in the village saw the tail come off the double hills glider with a` puff of smoke`.
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information