Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Which Air Show ?

Which Air Show ?

Ladies and Gents i need your help.My wife and i have decided that it`s about time that we went to an airshow,the last one was at RAF ST Mawgan(yes that long)but the question is which one?We are making plans for next year.Iwas thinking about flying legends at duxford and treating us both to an enclosure seat,but someone said that i would be trying to take pics with the sun shining in my face and that the enclosure was set away from the crowd line.my question is which airshow(s) would you recommend?There is a lot of experience out there and i value your comments.we are driving up from cornwall so will be looking at somewhere close to the venue to stay.

never been but would have thought Yeovilton

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Flee...n/Air-Day-2012

Legends is undoubtedly the best piston engine show with heavy emphasis on WW2. If that's your thing then a very strong case can be made for choosing it.

It's packed and bustling, the roadways are lined with tat stalls, the food and drink is event-priced. So it works out pricey, but is worth every penny, particularly if you haven't attended the previous year and the year before that and the year before that.

The enclosures are crowdline centre, and if you value comfort, well worth the expenditure, particularly if you aren't a huge fan of standing in a mile long queue to pee in a plastic box. Nobody says you have to stay locked in the enclosure the whole time, there is plenty of time to escape and sample the joys of the tank bank where a thousand blokes with unfeasably big cameras and multi-pocketed gilets jostle in their eagerness to take identical photographs and occasionally come to blows.

If you want a more relaxed and paced day then nothing is better than Shuttleworth / Old Warden. You may only see one Spitfire, not a dozen, and there is no huge balbo at the end (I wonder will Dux have one this year?) but you will love the atmosphere, see some incredible and unique aircraft and be really close to the action.

None of us can chose for you, but it's a great dilemma to have.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Shuttleworth, definitely and always.

Regards
    David Mylchreest
    Steam and Model Railway videos http://www.youtube.com/user/PenrithBeacon
    Aviation videos http://www.youtube.com/user/austerfive

In nubibus & Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
    Flying Legends
    Shoreham http://www.shorehamairshow.co.uk/
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Ladies and Gents.many thanks to the four of you for your replies.Rob68,yes i had thought of yeovilton as it`s the closest but i don`t know much about it.Orion,i had put shuttleworth on my short list and Flygirl,i hadn`t even thought of shoreham so thanks for that.Moggy c, thanks for the description of duxford and shuttleworth.i`ve got a year to decide, but which ever airshow i choice to attend i shall enjoy and to be honest i`ll be like a kid in a sweet shop because it will be the first for years.i`m looking forward to everyone`s airshow photo`s

Yeovilton in recent years has been an excellent show. It is generally a good mix of flying with several piston warbirds (P-51, BBMF, Sea Fury, Seafire), a few classic jets (Vulcan, Hunters,Sea Vixen), plus modern fast jets and the finale of the commando helicopter assault. There is a varied static lineup and a vintage fly-in in the morning. Never had any problems with traffic and the site is spacious compared to Duxford. Only draw backs are the crowd line is quite short and it is south facing.
    I guess it all depends on what you wan't to see? Britain is blessed with so many great shows from the genteel 100 year old aircraft at Shuttleworth to the noisy giant that is Fairford. Kemble may be another option with most shows there held on the south side.
    Last edited by farnboroughrob; 28th March 2012 at 19:03.

farnboroughrob.thanks for the detailed reply,it`s always nice to hear from someone who`s been there.i`ve never considered yeovilton,mmm that might change now.

Have you considered either Culdrose or Dawlish as they are near to home.

I guess its all down to your taste in airshow as most wonderfully put by Moggie. Shuttlworth is the most relaxed even my wife who is a avid airshow hater enjoyed it!!! If you want Modern and Military rather than the annual bun fight that is RIAT Fairford, Waddington is IMHO just as good and quite often more varid.

Just my 2 euro worth!!

Good luck

Cliff
    =======================================

"What do you mean the computer say's NO!"

http://cliffibell.fotopic.net

As well as the content you should consider getting in and out of the show.
    RIAT is a nightmare and Waddington, to which I went for the first time this year,
    was pretty awful.
    Nobody so far has suggested Kemble. There is usually a good mixture, including the Red Arrows, the sun is not in your eyes and it is closer to Cornwall than most.
    John

If you are talking about 2013, why not consider Culdrose? Apparently it should be back on the calender next year. Travel would not be much of an issue, the sun (when it shines) is always behind you and the crowd line is close to the runway.
    Yeovilton is just a two hour drive from mid Cornwall, easily done in a day and enclosure packages are available.
    Along the coast you have Dawlish and Bournemouth, a bit further along you have Shoreham and Eastbourne where you could book a hotel and make a weekend of it.

thanks for another three great replies.

cliffair,we are not going to consider culdrose because it is in cornwall,we are going to treat ourselves and travel out of county for a few days.i`ve noted the fact that your wife enjoyed shuttleworth,thanks.

johnr,i`m expecting problems getting in and out of which ever venue i end up visiting,but thanks for the warning.now kemble there`s a thought,again it`s nice to have a view of a show from someone who has been.

Lima1,Bournemouth and Eastbourne. Thats another two i didn`t know about.making a weekend of it is exactly what we are planning on.many thanks

I would say Yeovilton is a must, great variety of modern, British & foreign forces, as well as vintage aircraft.
    Cosford 2010 was a reasonable show, though not of the same scale as
    Waddington, it had good variety and was nicely paced. RIAT Fairford and the Farnaborough shows are still the giants.
    Wouldn't consider Legands at all, too much of the same thing for me.

As a taster for VL,
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a82...eovilton%2010/
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a82...%20Day%202011/
    Last edited by pagen01; 7th April 2012 at 16:56.

Sywell, 19th August and its only every other year so a good one to catch when its on. 3 hr plus Airshow including the Red Arrows all for £15 if you buy an advanced Ticket
    But I am biased

www.sywellairshow.co.uk
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

pagen and blue max, many thanks for your replies.

pagen.Thanks for adding some photo`s, like you said a wide variety which is nice to see.some of the pics seem to indicate that you were the "wrong" side of the barriers.how did you manage that? still you got up nice and close.

Blue Max.thanks for mentioning sywell,unfortunately my browser crashes everytime i go to the site,but i`ll work on that.

thank you both for taking time to reply

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    some of the pics seem to indicate that you were the "wrong" side of the barriers.how did you manage that? still you got up nice and close.
    Not unusual to find me the wrong side of a barrier, but not the case at any of the Yeoviltons - unfortunately!
    I think their barrier distancing (a big gripe of mine at some shows!) is just right and allows for good shots of aircraft with little in the way.
    Cosford is good for capturing the few aircraft on the grass flight line, as they're parked well clear of the barrier and with little clutter in the background.

Spitfire LF.XVIe TE184 / G-MXVI Cosford 13 July 10 by jamtey71, on Flickr

Yeovilton 2007 show on flickr, here http://www.flickr.com/photos/5627032...7629395814410/
    Last edited by pagen01; 7th April 2012 at 16:56.

Hi dogman, I have just checked the site and it seems to be working ok so I think it must be something your end. Hope you get it sorted ok
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

hi blue max.yes it is problems at my end.my internet browser is firefox, this crashes everytime that i go onto the site.however,my wife uses internet explorer which is fine,so i will get to see the site.
    many thanks

Regards,

Frank

hi frank, i`ve had a look at the web site,what an interesting place and the admission fee is reasonable.tell you what mate if i just happen to passing there on may 5th i`ll pop in and make a day of it he he.
    thank you.

Just around the corner, eh ?

Speaking of that part of the woods, there is another show that promises to be interesting... Catalina Airshow in Avalon, CA end of September. No runway, but a beach, on an island !
    Regards,

Frank

Airshow for wife

I brought my wife to RIAT 2 years ago and she liked it big time. Only problem is now that she doesn't want to fly these small "boring" C152 with me.

hi jdlundin. thanks for your reply. it looks like we have made our minds up. we will be in 2013 going to see flying legends.........or maybe waddington.....or yeovilton....or ??????.it seems to change everytime.one thing is certain,we WILL be going to an airshow.

Has anyone been to the CAF in recent years.
    Last time I went was in 98.
    What's it like now, was thinking of revisiting.

Thread Information