Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Mail, Just Jane period Photoshoot... Superb

Welcome to the site first JT816 you do get the younger generations involved too, I go to a show near here which has A full blown war re enactment over several fields they really do go the whole nine yards too... As I said I think they set the scene, and far from lines of static aircraft they give an added dimension with their historical insight into the period, something that fires the imagination of the younger generations.... And that cannot be bad.

This is one of my re enactor photo's

BTW Jeepman is a dustbinmen similar to a waste management facilitator?

Al is offline Embittered old curmudgeon
    Forget all the aircraft and bombs etc - the lass with the black stockings would have been on a charge...
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

I can see how historical re enactment helps bring things to life, there's just something about some of it that makes me really uncomfortable. I think this is particularly true whilst there's still folk about who remember it for real, members of the sealed knot or the Napoleonic re enactors don't offend anyone. I'm less sure about those that seem to think that owning any German ex military vehicle makes it ok for them to dress up like Hardy Kruger in "A Bridge Too Far", albiet with wardrobe provided by Freddie Starr.
    Perhaps I'm a minority and should just shut up.

Ps don't get me started on Elvis "tribute" acts, I can rant for hous on those but I'll need to find a different forum for that!
    Last edited by JT816; 13th April 2012 at 07:34.

JT, in my own area of research I have found that official historical accounts are distorted by the images pushed out by the authorities. As a result we are presented with a biased view of appearances. The need for manpower during large wars meant that recruiting standards were changed and just how fit did you need to be to drive ? Not just physical standards were flexible, many "gay" men and women served with honour, for example Hardy Amies.

Re enactors are showing that it took all types to fight a war.

Quote Originally Posted by JT816 View Post
    I can see how historical re enactment helps bring things to life, there's just something about some of it that makes me really uncomfortable'...'I'm less sure about those that seem to think that owning any German ex military vehicle makes it ok for them to dress up like Hardy Kruger in "A Bridge Too Far", albiet with wardrobe provided by Freddie Starr.
    Now that quote deserves a 'LOL'.

Despite my earlier post proclaiming enthusiasm for re-enactors, chatting to friends I wasn't the only one to feel uneasy about the apparent carnival atmosphere intermixed with the 'period' costumes of those clearly enjoying the Titanic 'memorial' cruise on TV. I'm sure they were real enthusiasts but it seemed on the face of it to me to be somewhat dis-tasteful. The media frenzy accompanying the whole anniversary thing hardly helped.

Clearly we're not going to get super-fit youngsters all the time in period wear, but if there is proper learning involved (information boards, knowledgeable participants etc) it is a good thing.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that re enactment should only be the preserve of the young and healthy. I also didn't meant to imply that those who fought in some of history's major conflicts only represented a very narrow section of society.

Just an unease at some of the appearance of some participants at events that have a historic or wartime theme. Obviously there are re enactors and there are re enactors.

There was no impression of any such suggestion or implication from your previous posts, JT816. I enjoy reading your views on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafuryfan View Post
    There was no impression of any such suggestion or implication from your previous posts, JT816. I enjoy reading your views on the matter.
    Thanks,
    was more reffering to Scotavia's earlier comments. But nice to know I'm not the only one out there with reservations.

Personally, as a 17 year old currently going through officer training, I was inspired by visits to museums around the country to join up, and I think that the re-enactors give the place a much more realistic feel... especially on the night runs, it brings the place to life, and the whole place has an atmosphere.

Just my thoughts.

re;

I will keep my opinion of dobbin to my self.

I am a 15th century reenactor. My gf looks after a Georgian farm house and she decided to bring it to life by wearing the period costume. The response from the public, when they see her in the scullery, or raking out the fire, is phenomenal. and its damned romantic to sit by the log fire when the public have gone and have a meal together. We play traditional board games with the kids. The feed back has been really good. If the powers that be had their way it would just be exhibits in cases and soul less.

on the other hand I like East Kirkby both ways. When its deserted and eerie it has a different atmosphere. But its not bringing in revenue that is crucial to the future of what is after all a totally self funded memorial.
    pb::

Thread Information