Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Quiet SST hint at Russias new Bomber?

Quiet SST hint at Russias new Bomber?

Musings from the DEWline blog:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...upersonic.html

Which I post here, because that was my first thought too.

Any thoughts? It's light hearted but are there design clues in this image?

I would not read much into the colour, it's probably just how the guy who made the 3D model set the surface of solid bodies to appear in his CAD package (e.g. CATIA uses a similarly suggestive grey by default). It isn't even textured with windows and other similar details - chances are this is a geometry straight from an engineer's work station and pretty much innocent of any deliberate artistic touches. Since the PAK-DA is more likely than not to be supersonic, there may be clues in there, but I would not count on it.

As far as the design itself goes, it certainly looks coherent, but I prefer Sukhoi's quiet SSBJ studies - the curved edge of that planar dorsal surface in front of the inlets looks like it could result in some interesting issues in supersonic flow. Then again, this is TsAGI and I certainly can't profess to know better than them

I can't see them making it unless India and/or China are interested in buying some.

SuperSonic Business Jets (SSBJs)

There won't be anything useful in commercial supersonics until the ICAO can define what allowable over-pressures are.

In terms of Bizjets - to the best of my knowledge they are all on the back-burner if even slow-burning anymore... someone somewhere may be moving beyond concepts, but I'm not aware of it.

But there has been loads of fundamental research done on quiet SSBJs, so I would assume this is just some more.

[Although I will point out the fuselage does shroud the engine inlets from any radars both forward and below the aircraft... ]

FWIW, I photographed this design proposal at the Hydroaviation Salon, Gelendzhik, in 2008.....

It's a 'spaceplane' called 'Fanstream' - and appears to be based on the Su-34 fighter-bomber!

Note the four jet engines - plus a rocket motor on the central boom.....

A search for "SPS Fanstream" in Cyrillic finds this

OK, not an SST nor a bomber - but interesting.

Ken
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

The rocket spaceplane idea looks like nonsense from a 1980s Popular Mechanics issue. However, a non-rocket-equipped version of that used as a bizjet would be pretty neat. It certainly would make quite a fashion statement.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Levsha View Post
    That wouldn't fly... not with that long tube out in front of the wings.

The wing of that CAD drawing is awfully long and slender to supersonic - flutterflutter ... Is that a swing wing?

And these engine pods are very short. And in the slipstream of that chip in the fuselage. Have they discovered something?
    "Distiller ... arrogant, ruthless, and by all reports (including his own) utterly charming"

The su-27 wing is probably the best wing designed ever for a supersonic fighter, will it be useful for a large bomber?, we don't know, but probably they will try it.
    "It won't let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. annoys the hell out of me."

-Best joke ever

Thread Information