Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire X4650 flying at Biggin today

Well that's fair enough Mark12,we will look forward to your posting them and voll 2 of the bbbbbbooook! Cheers.

If the aircraft owner grants privileged access and then asks that the person given access doesn't publish the pictures until after the official press release then the owners wishes should be respected by the person given privileged access. A certain amount of trust is involved here and abuse of that trust means no privileged access to any future events.
    Tuck 1940 was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time but wasn't subject to any picture embargo so there should be no problem with him posting his pictures here.

I never cease to be amazed at the restored aircraft appearing and the high standards applied, terrific.

And as for photos this is an area I have learned a lot about since becoming a full time pro photographer. When permissions are given to be on private property for a photo session you have to abide by any conditions set by the owner of the property and also the subject in the picture. In a public area such as a road and not bound by any terms you can shoot what you like(almost ).

Any more news on the official first flight photos,are they out yet and if so where?

I think "P9374" should show up and "buzz" the hangar that "x4650" is in till it come out to play,,, THATS a pic I want!

...some first flight shots from the Aeroclub.

The take off.

The fly-by.

The taxi back.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Bright Young Thing.

Very nice Mark 12! So, who got to "do the honours"?

Quote Originally Posted by Avro Avian View Post
    Very nice Mark 12! So, who got to "do the honours"?
    Paul Bonhomme made the first flight of some 35 minutes, including holding off for local exec traffic.

On landing he pronounced 'do not touch anything'.

A precautionary inspection with the side cowls removed revealed not one drip or weep and a further flight of 35 minutes was made shortly after.

It was a great credit to Peter Monk and his engineering team at 'The Spitfire Company'.

Tom and Dan Friedkin are absolutely delighted with it.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Wonderful pictures Mark 12. Do we know if there are any plans to fit the padded head rest behind the pilots head seen on Spitfire I`s ?.

Thanks Mark,she looks fantastic.So the official photos have been released now then,any idea where?

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Absolutely fantastic stuff!
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
    Thanks Mark,she looks fantastic.So the official photos have been released now then,any idea where?
    Well the John Dibbs first flight photo is in my May A-M, in the post this morning, and others will be in all the usual mags just coming out.

I gather Air to Airs have been taken for a piece at some time in the future.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Something about the nose cone profile keeps catching my eye, but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyone have any details on the prop used?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Something about the nose cone profile keeps catching my eye, but I can't put my finger on it.
    First thing to catch my eye too. Something is just a bit off.

Pretty bird though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
    On landing he pronounced 'do not touch anything'.
    I love it! In true Spitfire tradition. Lovely photos Mk.XII, I only hope that one day we get to see the Mk.Is all in formation, and a representative KL-B.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    The Merlin and prop configuration are not the exact replication of a Mk I Spitfire (ie Merlin III and DH bracket two-position, c/s or Rotol unit) as seen on P9374 which has a Merlin III and re-engineered DH prop.

I believe I am correct in saying that X4650 has a Merlin 30 series engine with a Hamilton-type prop. The purist will also note the slightly incorrect propeller blade shape and profile - especially at the tips.
    http://andysaunders.tumblr.com/

Trouble is, when the fat lady sings, it might signal a Da Capo moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    I believe I am correct in saying that X4650 has a Merlin 30 series engine with a Hamilton-type prop. The purist will also note the slightly incorrect propeller blade shape and profile - especially at the tips.
    Is this the same as the Canadian Hurricane prop?

Propeller technology was a fast moving area in the run up to the Battle of Britain where modest engineering changes could yield vital increments of performance improvement. There were a number of iterations of production and experimental configurations by both DH and Rotol at this time with spinner profiles ranging from 'snubby' to 'pointy'. Here is one that looks very close to the X4650 profile to me.

There are several routes to produce a three blade propeller for a Mk I Spitfire in the 21st century that meet with the approval of the CAA. There is the very very expensive route and there is the very very very expensive route.

Let's not get too 'picky'.

Mark

..and in the mean time enjoy a few more images of the second flight of the day.

...and finally back to the hangar...job done for the day.

It's a Merlin 35.

Shouldn't there be a padded headrest?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Shouldn't there be a padded headrest?
    Negativity requires a faster response. See post 40.

Mark

Magnificent restoration of this Spitfire. Thank you all for the photos.
    Philippe
    " When the RR Merlin sings, the Spit hums ! "

One of these cases where a recovery picture would make a nice comparison .

Mark
    Mark i was not meaning to sound negative in my enquiry. It was just a simple question. The restoration of X4650 has been superb and we are very lucky to have two new airworthy Spitfire I`s in this country at this present moment in time. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by One of the Few View Post
    Mark i was not meaning to sound negative in my enquiry. It was just a simple question. The restoration of X4650 has been superb and we are very lucky to have two new airworthy Spitfire I`s in this country at this present moment in time. Long may it continue.
    I know you were not being negative.

Mark

Great pictures, Mark. And no pickiness on my part, just wondered.

Mark
    Where's the negativity? I could've said great another bluddy spitfire

Thread Information