Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford disposals

I guess there are as many views on this subject as there are enthusiasts but isn't Airspace now representing British and Commonwealth aircraft since B.Ae Systems put up some of the money. In that case the Dove should qualify as it was a sales success and the TSR-2 as an advance in technology (debate!). I certainly think the Viscount should be under cover as one of the oldest and most successful turboprop airliners in existence. How you reconcile that to a "war" museum is further grounds for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Imperial WAR Museum

Where does a Varsity fit within that remit?
    Blimey! Concorde, Comet, Hastings, Shackleton, TSR2, Lightning, Gannet, Phantom, Hunter, Meteor, Canberra, Strikemaster...

...they really are going to be able to have a clear-out!
    WA$.

Where does this leave the Shack and Victor??
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Where does this leave the Shack and Victor??
    When i heard about the disposals i posted about the guy did tell me that full surveys had been done on both but the museum did not have the money to restore them that is why they were bought inside to stop the rot so to speak until they could restore them.

I personally think it it more to do with space than not wanting them as over the years the museums collection has grown and with that growth has come less space which is why they turned down large aircraft preservations (Nimrod , VC10 & maybe C130) as they would rather have everything inside for future use.

If you think about it everything i pretty much inside and the aircraft that sat outside are now all in (of the museums aircraft) including long term outsiders like the Shack and the Victor, even the rotting B52 got inside with the AAM.

curlyboy
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

True but unless you apply some sort of anti corrosion protection to slow down the corrosion present, the airframes will continue to deteriorate even inside a building especially after decades of outside storage.
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

So in the glorified greenhouse that is the AAM the B29 and B52 will soon be heaps of scrap...

Dove, Concorde, Comet and so on arent owned by IWM, so are irrelevant in this instance.

Bruce

The DAS airframes are with a lodger organisation. As with any landlord / tenant arrangement things change ! I would not discount the airliner line up outside as being immune from any reshaping of the collection . The BAC 1-11 and Herald I would judge as 'at risk'.

So is there actually a complere list of what might be up for disposal?
    Pass the remote

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    So is there actually a complere list of what might be up for disposal?
    Put simply, no.

Duxford Disposals

Which a/c are going, and where? What is the logic in disposing of the "JU52" and the Avenger? There is little chance of a genuine JU52 joining the collection?

a lot of work would have gone into restoring them.
    pb::

The Amiot AAC.1 was built by the French and last flown by the Portugese Air Force. Whilst nice its only representative of the type.

Quote Originally Posted by SADSACK View Post
    Which a/c are going, and where? What is the logic in disposing of the "JU52" and the Avenger? There is little chance of a genuine JU52 joining the collection?

a lot of work would have gone into restoring them.
    The Avenger certainly needed a lot of work, it was rebuilt from a crashed firebomber conversion!

Here is a list of some of what was being considerd in January from the Historic Military Vehicle forum. Mainly vehicles and engines

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/..._disposals.pdf
    Dave Charles
    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron

re;

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbins View Post
    The Avenger certainly needed a lot of work, it was rebuilt from a crashed firebomber conversion!
    Seems riduculous taking it down from the roof. I am sure plenty of museums will give it a good home?

Seems riduculous taking it down from the roof.
    You are forgetting. Very soon they will be removing all suspended aircraft for rope testing/replacement and testing of the actual suspension points.

A good opportunity if it achieves what they want to do.

Seems ridiculous hanging it from the roof! If it stays there I reckon they should retract the undercarriage and have it dropping a dummy torpedo, complete with a mannequin of Bush in the cockpit...

Oh good [/irony]

It must be months since we've had a "Why hang aircraft on display" discussion

re;

How complete is the Avenger internally?

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Oh good [/irony]

It must be months since we've had a "Why hang aircraft on display" discussion
    Dont forget folks its a hangAr not a hangEr(unless you want to upset Moggy!)

Paul trying to get brownie points!
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

How complete is the Avenger internally?
    I would guess it's fairly complete, the turret had to be acquired separately as it was removed for the firebombing. The bomb bay doors were missing and had to be fabricated. There's some good info in Roger Freeman's book on the AAM.

Regarding the B-29 in England, did YB-29 #41-36393 land at Duxford while it was visiting the UK in 1944? I know it made several stops at various RAF airfields but I can't remember if Dux was included and I'm away from my file cabinet. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird167 View Post
    Here is a list of some of what was being considerd in January from the Historic Military Vehicle forum. Mainly vehicles and engines

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/..._disposals.pdf
    Includes an RAF AEC 0854 Matador Fuel Bowser and an RAF Thornycroft Amazon Crane 6x4. Plus there are eleven aero engines.
    Apathy is as powerful as any bulldozer and equally cherished by developers. Others cannot measure the importance of our heritage with OUR silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Rhodes View Post
    Includes an RAF AEC 0854 Matador Fuel Bowser and an RAF Thornycroft Amazon Crane 6x4. Plus there are eleven aero engines.
    But no complete aircraft...

Quote Originally Posted by DC Page View Post
    Regarding the B-29 in England, did YB-29 #41-36393 land at Duxford while it was visiting the UK in 1944? I know it made several stops at various RAF airfields but I can't remember if Dux was included and I'm away from my file cabinet. Thanks.
    Would be surprised if it had, as in 1944 Duxford was all grass with PSP runway.. and not exactly a 'big' airfield compared to some. So would they risk it with such a valuable aeroplane?
    Wyvern & Sturgeon parts projects
    Bassingbourn Tower Museum Volunteer

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Would be surprised if it had, as in 1944 Duxford was all grass with PSP runway.. and not exactly a 'big' airfield compared to some. So would they risk it with such a valuable aeroplane?
    B-17s definitely landed at Duxford during the war, but obviously they are a tad different to B-29s.

The only name I remember is Glatton, which I am unfamiliar with, but I know "Hobo Queen" made several stops in the UK. Just can't remember where.

Glatton is the present day Peterborough Conington I think.

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    The Amiot AAC.1 was built by the French and last flown by the Portugese Air Force. Whilst nice its only representative of the type.
    'Mary Alice' has no wartime service, so she is also only 'representative of the type'. If the IWM were to dispose of any aircraft with no option for appropriate original markings, then other departures would include the P-51D from Lambeth and the Gloster Javelin, as well as the Storch, B-25 and Avenger already mentioned. There has already been much debate about the CASA.2111 (being Spanish built), and this would clearly also depart.

Besides, the Ju52/3m is an important and distinctive WW2 type, and one which my son (who is 5) recognises and is looking forward to seeing when we visit Duxford (his first visit) this year.

Duxford would be a poorer place without aircraft like this.

If disposals are inevitable, and these decisions aren't taken lightly, then it makes sense to dispose of aircraft which aren't actually on site (for example, those at Coventry, Dumfries and Flixton) first.

Regards

Willow
    'You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!'

Hi,

Reading this thread, i have some questions. On the list there above is a Gypsy Major, does anyone know if its still available? if so who do i have to i have to contact at the IWM?

Thanks in advance

Will J

Thread Information