Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford disposals

Cool Duxford disposals

I have been told in the last 48 hours by a guy who usually does not mess about that there could possibly be some major disposals from the IWM at Duxford very shortly. I do not know if it has any connection with London closing for around 14 months while they do up the place or not but his initial info is to expect such things as vehicles,tanks and possibly some aviation related items going up for sale/disposal/auction all to move on very soon.

Has anyone else any knowledge of this please as I dont think a lot of stuff actually belongs to them and like the Shackleton is still on RAF charge !!!.

I know what you will all be saying now we have heard this sort of thing before well put it this way if the guy was tipping horses I would put a lot of money on !!!.

Mike E
    Last edited by Firebex; 6th March 2012 at 16:24.

Mike, the only advice I can give is don't speculate, ask, or mention anything on here because they don't like it and you will get nothing.

Cool

The only response I can give to your post john is to quote a little German in a coal scuttle helmet peaking out from behind an aspidestra in Rowan and Martins Laugh in "Very Interesting "

And I am not interested in anything they may or may not want to sell or may or may not want to auction or may or may not want to give .From past history to much politics to many conditions and we dont meet any of their criteria anyway.
    So we would stand more chance of getting aircraft out of the major Russian museums "Simples" by comparison.

If it is or is not happening or going to happen as far as I am concerned its a public interest posting .I would hate for them to give sell or otherwise something that does not belong to them it does very little for the PR.

Mike E:diablo::diablo::diablo:

The main IWM building in Lambeth Road will be closing for six months, not for 14 months, to enable work to be carried out in the building, including on the First World War galleries.

As for the rest of your statement...

Always wise to be certain of the facts before posting

Cool

that must be why stuff is being cleared from the North Side to make way for the 6/12 months minimum they have been talking about its going to take to do some structural work also.

Or does their own hand outs and press releases not give the correct info ?.

If its renovation work then the main thing is DON'T PANIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebex View Post
    I have been told in the last 48 hours by a guy who usually does not mess about that there could possibly be some major disposals from the IWM at Duxford very shortly. I do not know if it has any connection with London closing for around 14 months while they do up the place or not but his initial info is to expect such things as vehicles,tanks and possibly some aviation related items going up for sale/disposal/auction all to move on very soon.

Has anyone else any knowledge of this please as I dont think a lot of stuff actually belongs to them and like the Shackleton is still on RAF charge !!!.

I know what you will all be saying now we have heard this sort of thing before well put it this way if the guy was tipping horses I would put a lot of money on !!!.

Mike E

And did he by any chance say what items these 'might' be?
    WANTED - Westland Wyvern & Short Sturgeon parts & photos!

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Disposals

Yes, I've heard about this too.

I have heard it from a reliable source there are supposed to be tanks and other heavy vehicles as well as some aero engines up for disposal.

I am waiting to hear about one or two items but I can't disclose the source.

Anon.

Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    “The Friendly Accredited Aviation Museum!”

I believe this was mentioned in Flypast last year a total of 12 aircraft are up for disposal. The deadline was early December for enquiries. They are mainly aircraft on loan to other museums. There are lots of conditions.

Ashley, you are back!!! Great to see you...we must organise another forum getogether!

Maybe that'll explain the Land Warfare Hall situation? They can sell the lot for all I care, and a load of planes. They have far too much stuff and need a good clearout!

On the other hand, if the war birds were to move out then there would be plenty room for the IWM collection.

Brian

Not realy 'move them out' as such. I would think that all of the Historic Aircraft Collection, OFMC aircraft and the Firefly and Blenheim ect could be moved out and placed into H2 North or South during the Summer when the Catilina and B-17 are not in residence inside the Hanger.
    " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

Quote Originally Posted by VARSITY View Post
    I believe this was mentioned in Flypast last year a total of 12 aircraft are up for disposal.
    Does anyone know if the Shackleton is still under the threat of disposal from the IWM?
    I just wish a 'national' would cherish these beasts and permanantly put one undercover on their premises.

There is one at Manchester but not a MK3. Also the Shackleton was not on the list last November.

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Shackleton is still under the threat of disposal from the IWM?
    I just wish a 'national' would cherish these beasts and permanantly put one undercover on their premises.
    Haven't Manchester put theirs under cover?

Duxford disposals

A contact I have at Duxford told me, about 18 months ago, that they were considering disposing of one of the Phantoms. They reasoned that as they had two then they could get rid of one.

Now bearing in mind that one is an ex-USN F-4J in the US collection and the other a Rolls-Royce powered FGR.2 in one of the hangars you don't need to be Brain of Britain to realise that they are two very different and very important types in their own right and each deserves to be preserved.

It seemed that the decision was to be made on the basis that each was a Phantom, not their respective differences, development history and use.

I am pleased and relieved to see that (so far) neither is on the list to be disposed of.

Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    I have heard it from a reliable source there are supposed to be tanks.....up for disposal.
    Why on earth would they need to sell-off any tanks if the space is only needed for six to twelve months? Just park them outside and they’ll be fine!

In fact, why bother moving any of the tanks from IWM Lambeth? It is not as if anybody is going to walk-off with them!

Seriously, ‘historic’ armour, and aircraft, aren’t exactly in plentiful supply so I hope nothing irreplaceable is lost to the nation.
    WA$.

I don't think the Phantom in Hangar 3 or 4 (i can't remember) is or was owned by OFMC as Mark Hanna used to taxi it along the Runway ad Duxford.

Theres some vids on youtube with it being run up the runway.

Rumours are just that, everytime i go to Duxford i hear the new up coming gossip sometimes it is true and more times it is rubbish.

Although the disposal of the F105 was told to me 6 months before it happened and i think sometimes plans change.

The last rumour i heard was when the AAM is refurbished in the next year or so the following aircraft are going

Avenger
    Mitchell
    Stearman
    Plastic Mustang
    T33
    B29 Superfortress (i did not believe this one though)

And some of the vehicles in the AAM

I post this as in about 5 years time this thread will possibly become a necro and we will see if it is true??

curlyboy
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Haven't Manchester put theirs under cover?
    I actually tried wording my post carefully to avoid this, by 'national' I mean IWM, RAFM, Science Museum, FAAM, East Fortune. I know Manchesters' Shack belongs to the RAFM, but it isn't displayed on their premises.
    I should have distinguished between the Maritime and AEW variants though, there are no MR variants preserved undercover or on a national site,
    Good to hear it wasn't on the list though

The Phantom thing sounds absolutely barmey!
    Last edited by pagen01; 6th March 2012 at 20:01.

I don't mind the Stearman or mustang leaving but I don't agree with the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    A contact I have at Duxford told me, about 18 months ago, that they were considering disposing of one of the Phantoms. They reasoned that as they had two then they could get rid of one.

Now bearing in mind that one is an ex-USN F-4J in the US collection and the other a Rolls-Royce powered FGR.2 in one of the hangars you don't need to be Brain of Britain to realise that they are two very different and very important types in their own right and each deserves to be preserved.

It seemed that the decision was to be made on the basis that each was a Phantom, not their respective differences, development history and use.
    This kind of dumbed-down thinking which has infected all our national museums is exactly why the IWM needs watching like a hawk.
    After what happened to the BA Collection at Cosford they can none of them be trusted.

Talking of the Duxford F105... I took this photo of it a couple of week ago at Krakow.

Quote Originally Posted by curlyboy View Post
    The last rumour i heard was when the AAM is refurbished in the next year or so the following aircraft are going

Avenger
    Mitchell
    Stearman
    Plastic Mustang
    T33
    B29 Superfortress (i did not believe this one though)

And some of the vehicles in the AAM...
    Are these actually 'owned' by the IWM?
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by VX927 View Post
    Talking of the Duxford F105... I took this photo of it a couple of week ago at Krakow.

Hey nice pic, and a great sight, thanks for posting.
    If only Duxford had been in a position to do that.

Some of the AAM rumours raised eyebrows with me, if they are ever crazy enough to get rid of the A-10 (not mentioned in the earlier post I know) there is a very nice little museum at Bentwaters that will give it a home

Funny you say that when the war on terror began the USAF apparently visited a lot of the 'preserved' A10's to look at returning them to service but some were in too bad a condition or hanging from a roof to be bothered with.

The aircraft on the list i put are all owned by the IWM or under loan and can be returned, The gent who told me about this said that the IWM have a changed collecting policy and only want foreign aircraft that were operated from the UK or operated by the UK in war (which the Avenger & Mitchell were?).

curlyboy

PS good to see the poles did more with the F105 in a year than Duxford did in 5.
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by curlyboy View Post
    ...the IWM.....only want foreign aircraft that were operated from the UK or operated by the UK in war.
    Goodbye Messerschmitt 109 then! :diablo:

I hope this isn’t true or the IWM is going to be much less of a visitor attraction.....and surely that is important too?
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by 8674planes View Post
    I don't mind the Stearman or mustang leaving but I don't agree with the rest
    I'll let you have my address, I will give them both a very good home.

Thread Information