Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 14 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford Diary 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

This isnt just the best preserved Vampire; it is one of the best conserved aircraft of any type in the country. I sincerely hope it sets a standard for other conservation work in the future.

Take a bow guys!

Bruce

I realise I have been remiss in not giving my thanks to everyone involved in today's event. I hope press coverage reflects the effort that was put in.
    I would also like to thank the Vampire team for putting up with my regular visits over the past year, and their help with my photo coverage. All the photos from the past year's work are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitwo...7627825209793/

I have deliberately spared the blushes of the chief protagonists, but I do know they read this thread every night, so will appreciate the comments.

Bruce

I can only agree - it is a superb piece of work and will look great on display. Some great photos as well from todays event.

Lobster
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Sorry I dont like the Vampire, To me it looks over restored.

Dave

Bruce, I know you didnt restore this one but do you know what condition the fuselage pod was in woodwise?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Quote Originally Posted by G-ASEA View Post

Dave
    Don't worry, I'm sure the Dayglo will soon fade to a more 'in-service' look.

The wood was very good.

As I said earlier; you need to see it in person; the guys have worked hard to ensure it isn't over restored.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, from the pictures posted on that link, it looked in great shape!
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

I think the Vampire looks great... Does anyone know whats next to get worked on?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ASEA View Post

Dave
    at least the cockpit looks ok

I agree. She looks amazing outsize on the Dx ramp. But on the inside its just as pleasing to see the cockpit hasn't been over-done. As personally originality where possible wins every time!
    Wyvern & Sturgeon parts projects
    Bassingbourn Tower Museum Volunteer

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

That is stunning, shame it's not airworthy as that scheme would brighten up the majority of dullness currently displaying :diablo:

Duxford Wednesday March 14th:

A distant view of some of the ARCo winter residents undergoing maintenance:

0168:G-AWHE

Vampire WZ590 in her new home, Hangar 4:

0169:WZ590

0170:WZ590

An unusual road-runner spotted leaving the M11:

0171:ZD461

The convoy arrives:

0172:ZD461

The big reveal: Harrier GR.9A ZD461:

0173:ZD461

Some assembly required:

0174:ZD461

The fuselage is readied:

0175:ZD461

The wings are first to be taken off the truck:

0176:ZD461

With outriggers fitted the wings are lifted:

0177:ZD461

The fuselage is backed into position:

0178:ZD461

Wings are lowered into place:

0179:ZD461

Then the whole airframe is lifted:

0180:ZD461

The shot I was hoping for:

0181:ZD461

Touchdown:

0182:ZD461

Final touches:

0183:ZD461

Ready for handover?

0184:ZD461

0185:ZD461

Harrier GR.9A ZD461 first flew 10-10-89 and was delivered 16-11-89 as a GR.5A. It served with 1 Sq during Operation Herrick in Afghanistan. Suffering a brake fire after landing at Nellis AFB 26-1-10, it was returned to Cottesmore 19-3-10 Cat 3. With the withdrawal of the Harrier fleet, repairs were abandoned and the airframe became Cat 5 and struck off charge.

The aircraft is actually returning to Duxford, having starred in the Classic Jet And Fighter Display 2-6-96. For ZD461 fans, you can still get the Hobbymaster 1/72 diecast of this aircraft...
    Last edited by DCW; 15th March 2012 at 16:44.

Nice pics. Do you know if it will go straight on display or will go to H5 for concevation or restoration?
    " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    That is stunning, shame it's not airworthy as that scheme would brighten up the majority of dullness currently displaying :diablo:
    Are you happy with ANYTHING concerning the current preservation scene Black Knight? You seem to be stuck in some kind of a timewarp where there were only a handful of preserved aircraft flying at best, Duxford was a fraction of what it has now become, and outside the BBMF and RNHF, flyable warbirds were few and far between.

Do you wear flares and bri-nylon shirts too, perhaps?

My Global Aviation Resource Article on the Friends of The Fighter Collection Evening is now live

http://www.globalaviationresource.co...ning/index.php

Thanks

Thomas

I hope they paint her as ZG506 in the anniversary colours

Last edited by j_jza80; 14th March 2012 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
    Are you happy with ANYTHING concerning the current preservation scene Black Knight? You seem to be stuck in some kind of a timewarp where there were only a handful of preserved aircraft flying at best, Duxford was a fraction of what it has now become, and outside the BBMF and RNHF, flyable warbirds were few and far between.

Very well said. I've been wondering for a while why he reads this thread.
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post

Sounds like you need to change your tampon mike!!

Flares & bri-nylon was before my time

I like colourful markings on aircraft, which is why the civilian coloured warbirds such as Miss Demeanour are the best!!! Which is why I'm a big fan of P-51's, because of all the nice bright colours they come in, not the boring drab crap we Brits have always done. Most airshows are covered in grey clouds & all you end up with is a silhouette, unless Miss D is there. We had a gorgeous silver & red Mk 16 spit that got made dull & the Mk 14 that TFC had the same treatment.
    All I said was its a shame that Vampire wasn't a flyer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by j_jza80 View Post
    I hope they paint her as ZG506 in the anniversary colours
    I think that would be the WORST thing they could do to her. She looks great as she is... I think 506 was the most awful looking harrier out there!

Quote Originally Posted by 8674planes View Post
    Nice pics. Do you know if it will go straight on display or will go to H5 for concevation or restoration?
    They should put her straight on display, in a nice 'used' condition

Core that's a corker of a Harrier!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbins View Post
    They should put her straight on display, in a nice 'used' condition
    Couldn't agree more....just leave it as is, not washed, not tarted up. Aircraft aren't naturally clean, they get in an awful state and the Harrier will look all the better for it. They have a clean GR3 in AirSpace anyway....
    Shhhhhhh! It's the internet, no one cares. I hope the belligerent high post count tossers are listening...

During the move of Vampire WZ590 into Hangar 4 this morning, Phantom FGR.2 XV474 was outside briefly. Thanks to Fred Taylor for the photos:

XV474

XV474

XV474

I hope they put her back inside afterwards

curlyboy

Nice pics BTW
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by VX927 View Post
    I think that would be the WORST thing they could do to her. She looks great as she is... I think 506 was the most awful looking harrier out there!
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I like how she looks now, but I have a soft spot for '506. Of the same ilk as the F18 the Americans painted in the ww2 3 tone blue pacific camo.

Love this thread. Thanks guys.
    http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30343&dateline=131077  0701

Quote Originally Posted by bomberflight View Post
    Here's my photo - essay from The Friends of The Fighter Collection Event on Sunday evening.

Images taken with the new Canon G1X point and shoot camera ~ using a tripod and a six or eight second exposure time. The camera is in fact so new that it's not yet supported by Photoshop ~ so I've just converted the RAW files into JPEG's and resized them to share

Both the TFC's Bearcat and P-47 Thunerbolt were positioned before dark ~ which enabled photographers to get some nice angles of both .....

Many, many thanks to everyone at The Fighter Collection for such a well organised event. And especially for rearranging the lighting so we could get different moods and effects in our pictures.

How many hours and days is it now I wonder before TFC's Flying Legends Air Show at Duxford Airfield on June 30th and July 1st ?
    Absolutely fantastic collection bomberflight, thanks so much for sharing. Really enjoy the peculiar angles.
    http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30343&dateline=131077  0701

Any updates on B-17G "Mary Alice" looking forward to new markings.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

I photographed the B-17 last weekend, although I only have one of the edited images on Flickr. It's really quite fascinating to see!

IMG_5477 by Elliott Marsh, on Flickr

While I'm at it I might as well post a couple of other shots of the utterly gorgeous 'Snafu' from The Fighter Collection's open house (hope DCW doesn't mind me hijacking his thread!). As Mr Pitts has already pointed out, you can read all about it, with plenty more images, on Global Aviation Resource... http://www.globalaviationresource.co...ning/index.php

IMG_5670 by Elliott Marsh, on Flickr

IMG_5654 by Elliott Marsh, on Flickr

...and a token Bearcat shot or two for good measure.

IMG_5629 by Elliott Marsh, on Flickr

IMG_5607 by Elliott Marsh, on Flickr

Thread Information