Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Married Quarters - 1940s to 1980s

Married Quarters - 1940s to 1980s

I am collating a documentary of life and experiences on married quarter estates throughout the post war years in particular on RAF MQs through the late 1940s to the 1980s. Also I wish to include RAF Khormaksar and RAF Wildenrath.
    Any photographs of these MQs would be greatly appreciated.
    As the son of an RAF navigator with Bomber Command and then Met Comm who served 40 years from 1939 to 1979 I have been closely involved with this life myself. Indeed from 1979 I have been actively involved in the acquisition of 36 redundant MOD sites starting with RAF Faldingworth NCO MQs in 1979 to our latest purchase the Officer MQs at RAF Ballykelly taking in amongst others RAF North Coates, RAF Hemswell, RAF Bicester and RAF West Raynham on the way.
    Our site may be seen at www.welbeckestate.com and under 'Projects and Management profile' the ex MOD projects may be seen. Under the heading 'Aviation' is a reference to our ownership of DC3s and Devons/Doves.

I would also suggest your register and ask here

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew-57/

Cannot help you as was detached for a short period to Wildenrath only when we had the runway done at Bruggen.

Egoat may be another source, register and ask there too.

At Finningley in the 1980s there was not enough room in the Sergeant's Mess for all of the newly qualified Aircrew Sergeants, so we were put into a section of MQs on base called 'Gatehouse'

It served as a bit of an epicentre for fun and um interesting behaviour...see this thread on pprune for a flavour:
    http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...gatehouse.html
    J Atkins - A PPL once More!

Are you an Aero-ist? Then fly with style at www.aero-ist.co.uk

If you pm me with your e-mail address I will send through some photos of the quarters at Wildenrath

Just a bit of fun in passing - the only time in MQs in 27 years.

I had 6 (?) lecture huts at Turnhouse converted into TMQ's in the 1946 shortage of MQ's.

By chance, I marrried a year later & moved into the first one.

We HAD to accept a barrow load of pre-war partly rusted kitchen wares - including a 20" fish kettle!!

One wedding present was a plastic washing-up bowl. Another, a pair of previously owned RN sheets.

You've never had it so good!!

= Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cotteswold;1826078/
    including a 20" fish kettle!!
    I must get some new glasses. When I first read that, what I thought I saw was mention of a 20' rather than a 20" fish kettle. I started humming 'whale meat again........'!

Quote Originally Posted by wessex boy View Post
    At Finningley in the 1980s there was not enough room in the Sergeant's Mess for all of the newly qualified Aircrew Sergeants, so we were put into a section of MQs on base called 'Gatehouse'

It served as a bit of an epicentre for fun and um interesting behaviour...see this thread on pprune for a flavour:
    http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...gatehouse.html
    They did the same at Brize, went round my mates house and the heat wave hit you, walked in his room and the windows were open, he explained if you turned the heating off it would cool off really quickly then take ages to heat again and got too hot, so the heating ran 24 /7 with the windows open as a thermostat, I believe someone in property had kittens when the first bills came through for the street, was rumoured it would have been cheaper to build a new block.. 6 months of sky high bills and they had to find block space for people as the costs were prohibitive.
    Last edited by TonyT; 23rd November 2011 at 20:07.

NCOs Married Quarter RAF Thornhill (5 FTS), S. Rhodesia 1951 - 1953

West of the Jordan, East of the Rock of Gibraltar

No 9, Officers Married Quarters, Kalafrana, Malta, 1966. And you should have seen the Hal Far CO's house just up the road...it was like Buckingham Palace.
    Great times, now unfortunately buried under the Malta Freeport container depot.
    Last edited by slicer; 24th November 2011 at 11:33.

My main memory of MQs is that the front door of the one we had lined up with the living room door. They both had decent gaps under them so that when it was windy the hearth rug flapped so hard there was a danger it would take off
    Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

MQ's Halton 1973, hallway floor had black gloss painted on concrete and a runner carpet up the middle, lived in some good ones though.
    if its working, leave it alone !!!!

RAF MQs Missing photos 1940 to 1970

Following on from the request for info on RAF MQ sites for our proposed documentary.
    The ex RAF MQ sites for the period from the late 1940s to the 1970s we are missing and are seeking photographs from that period are RAF Ballykelly NI, RAF Cranwell, RAF Faldingworth, RAF Hemswell, RAF Khormaksar Aden, RAF Manby, RAF Marham, RAF Middleton St George, RAF Scampton, RAF Tangmere, RAF Waddington, RAF Waterbeach, RAF Wildenrath Germany.
    Sites to date we have been involved are at: www.welbeckestate.com under 'Management Profile and Projects'

Thread Information