Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Quadbike Indian Air Force Thread Part 18

So it is not called Tejas...only LCA NAVY?

Its always been Lca Navy or NLCA or Naval LCA , Navy might have a different name for it

Last edited by coldfire2005; 27th April 2012 at 17:35.
    Brand New LCA TEJAS site is online

WWW.LCA-TEJAS.ORG

Good to see NLCA finally fly.

Is there any shots of its landing? and how long did it run to halt?

Good job team HAL, good job. One very handsome bird that's for sure. So what are the next Tejas prototypes /series slated to fly and when? Thanks.

my favorite shot

http://livefist.blogspot.in/2012/04/...her-debut.html

they did not take the route of MiG-29K/M in having an underbelly point for the drag chute and arrestor hook.

The Design of first indigenous Naval aircraft imposed huge technological challenges to the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) to meet the peculiar requirements of Naval aircraft; starting from saline and humid environment of operation, restricted availability of deck run for launch and recovery and high operating load conditions. Basic design changes required to suit the carrier operations are strengthening of aircraft structure and Landing Gear, Arrester Hook, improved engine, enhanced aerodynamic performance and incorporation of special metal/material. A host of other systems like the Leading Edge Vortex Control (LEVCON) surface fitted at the front end of the aircraft wing operated by a concealed rotary actuator with aerodynamic profiling to ensure low landing speed, good controllability and better vision for the pilot. The feature of launch and recovery onboard Carrier at high sink rate of 7.1 rn/sec, flareless landing with engine to full throttle till arrested by deck cable impose five times of loading on Main Landing Gear as compared to the IAF version. Also such axial load calls for re-certification of all Line Replacement Units (LRUs), components and associated systems of naval version to ensure fail safe operation repeatedly.
    http://livefist.blogspot.in/2012/04/...-lca-navy.html

Any idea on when they intend to have the definite variant of a carrier based aircraft with arrester hook?

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    thats definitely the best looking LCA!

Without a doubt ! Now, add a 0.5 meter (some say 1 meter) plug aft of the cockpit and remove the second seat to make it a single seat NP-2.. My guess is that definitive NP-2 (based on the Tejas Mk2 and NP-1) will be the best looking LCA variant with a better aspect ratio than the Mk1 derivatives that are there today.

Last edited by Kramer; 27th April 2012 at 23:10.
    "By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!"

video of the NP-1 taxiing..

India Today link

Quote Originally Posted by JangBoGo View Post
    http://livefist.blogspot.in/2012/04/...-lca-navy.html

Any idea on when they intend to have the definite variant of a carrier based aircraft with arrester hook?
    I don't see any arrestor hook yet, but NP1 and NP2 are supposed to demonstrate carrier landing capabilities by early 2013.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/news...w/12921558.cms

Just wondering, having missed all deadlines in 2011, are they in a position to deliver first serial production units this year?

Without a doubt ! Now, add a 0.5 meter (some say 1 meter) plug aft of the cockpit and remove the second seat to make it a single seat NP-2.
    Completly disagree. This is the ugliest Tejas ever, and many here and in BR agree with me. The thing is out of proportion.
    Love Planes, Live Planes

Will the NLCA eventually get a retractable ladder for the pilot(s)? That separate ladder used on the N-1, to me, seems like it would be a hindrance for a carrier deck.

On second though, I would think that the LEVCONS are "NO STEP" surfaces so without an external platform like the ladder used for the N-1, the back seater wont be able to get in.

A couple of pics of the Rafale-M and the SH to clarify what I am talking about...

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...016_of_108.jpg

http://www.jaffapix.com/riat2006/fri....1280x1024.jpg
    But what a fool believes, he sees
    No wise man has the power to reason away

-The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Will the NLCA eventually get a retractable ladder for the pilot(s)? That separate ladder used on the N-1, to me, seems like it would be a hindrance for a carrier deck.

On second though, I would think that the LEVCONS are "NO STEP" surfaces so without an external platform like the ladder used for the N-1, the back seater wont be able to get in.

A couple of pics of the Rafale-M and the SH to clarify what I am talking about...

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...016_of_108.jpg

http://www.jaffapix.com/riat2006/fri....1280x1024.jpg
    I like the Rafale solution but hope they stick to the external ladder... not sure how much more extra weight they will add to the NLCA and LCA which is already having performance issues..
    Wrinkles wrinkles my kingdom fallen to a wrinkle

Quote Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
    Completly disagree. This is the ugliest Tejas ever, and many here and in BR agree with me. The thing is out of proportion.
    Go fap to some gripen pics, will ya its scientifically proven that if you fixate long enough on one particular thing/person/idea/object, it distorts your relative perception of the alternates.

Is it me or does NLAC look more like a trainer than a combat plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Thornado View Post
    the NP-1 prototype is a twin seat trainer. the single seat NP-2 will most likely do away with the large canopy as seen in this image that shows how the definitive N-LCA Mk2 will look like.

This is the N-LCA Mk2. most likely that NP-2 won't resemble it totally since it is already in assembly. the NP-2 will be shorter than the N-LCA Mk2 by at least 0.5 m
    Last edited by Kramer; 30th April 2012 at 20:16.

the NP-1 prototype is a twin seat trainer. the single seat NP-2 will most likely do away with the large canopy as seen in this image
    ahhh I see

Quote Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
    Go fap to some gripen pics, will ya its scientifically proven that if you fixate long enough on one particular thing/person/idea/object, it distorts your relative perception of the alternates.

unfortunately enough for him, the particular object he is so fixated on has not an iota of a chance of entering IN service..

ahhh I see
    but let me clarify- it is still a combat capable trainer. It has all the systems of the single seater and includes radar and when in service, will be able to carry and use the same weapons too. the only penalty will be slightly shorter range due to deletion of a fuel tank.

That's my take, looks nice for a trainer, but for a fighter, way too stubby, especially when the R-73s look so big on it.
    But whatev, let's get that production rollin'.
    Last edited by TR1; 30th April 2012 at 18:51.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

AM Philip Rajkumar replying to a blog post..

Philip Rajkumar on May 1, 2012 at 6:01 am said:
    philip rajkumar
    I worked in the LCA project for nine years from 17 Sep 1994 to 31 Aug 2003 (actually 17 days short of nine years!). I was deputed to ADA by the IAF to oversee the flight test programme of the Technology Demonstration phase of the project. Having been on both sides of the fence i have a few points to make.
    1. Development of a capable aeronautical industry is a small step by small step evolutionary process.Infrastructure and skill sets of the work force have to be built up over decades with considerable effort. All this requires investment of money and managerial resources. Mainly due to financial constraints and lack of vision in the IAF, HAL and the GOI we allowed capabilities built up during the Marut and Kiran programmes to atrophy. While the world leapt ahead with several technological innovations like fly by wire,digital avionics and use of composites for structures HAL did not run a single research programme because it was not the practice to do research unless it was linked to a specicific project.
    2.The LCA project is where it is today thanks to one man-Dr VS Arunachalam who as the SA to RM in 1985 had the gumption and clout to go to the GOI and convince them that India could build a fourth generation fighter. It was a leap of faith no doubt.
    3. HAL feels wronged about being asked to play second fiddle to ADA. This pique continues to hurt the project even today.
    4. Without help from Dassault of France,BAE Systems UK, Lockheed Martin of the USA and Alenia of Italy we would not have succeeded in developing the fly by wire flight control system,glass cockpit,and composite structures for the two TD aircraft.
    5. So far the flight safety record of the programme has been good. I pray every day that it remains that way. The loss of an aircraft early in the programme would have surely lead to its closure.
    6.All pilots who have flown the aircraft say its handling qualities are very good. It means it is easy to fly and perform the mission.
    7.It needs to be put into IAF sevice as soon as possible to gain more experience to iron out bugs which are sure to show up during operational use.
    8.Programme management could have been better. IAF is to blame for washing its hands off the project for 20 years from 1986-2006. A management team was put in place at ADA in 2007.
    9.Dr Kota Harinarayana and all those who have worked and continue to work have done so with great sincerity and dedication.
    10.Indian aeronautics has benefitted immensely from the programme. It is a topic for separate research.
    11. It was a rare privilege for me to have been given an opportunity to contribute to the programme by setting up the National Flight Test Centre and putting place a methodology of work which has ensured safety so far.
    12. According to me the project can be called a complete success only when the aircraft sees squadron service for a couple of decades. We will have to wait but it is progressing on the right lines and we as a nation have nothing to be ashamed of.
    http://tkstales.wordpress.com/2012/0...tejas-arrives/
    PEOPLE.FIRST.MISSION.ALWAYS.
    Have a good one..

About LCA Navy Mk2..pity they dont seemed to have modified the air intake?
    Have a good one..

Quote Originally Posted by rayrubik View Post
    About LCA Navy Mk2..pity they dont seemed to have modified the air intake?
    LCA Navy Mk2 will get slightly enlarged air intakes and that's about it..what modification are you referring to?

Not DSI I hope !

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    LCA Navy Mk2 will get slightly enlarged air intakes and that's about it..what modification are you referring to?

Not DSI I hope !
    I meant the increased size..which doesnt seem to have happened.

Not DSI...

IAF to get PC 7 at last..basic flight training is currently in a very pathetic state.

Korean Protest Dismissed, Indian Trainer Deal With Pilatus On Track

A deal with Pilatus for 75 PC-7 Mk.2 basic trainer aircraft is expected to be approved shortly, with India's apex Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) scrutinizing the final contract. A formal protest by Korea Aerospace, whose KT-1 trainer was runner-up in the final toss-up, was dismissed by the MoD. In Parliament yesterday, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said, "The proposal for procurement of Basic Trainer Aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF) is awaiting consideration of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS). The proposal regarding the selection procedure of the Pilatus Trainer Aircraft has been progressed in accordance with the Defence Procurement Procedure. A representation submitted by M/s Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), one of the bidders, has been found to be devoid of merit."

The IAF currently has 114 HAL HPT-32 Deepak basic trainers, all grounded since July 2009 owing to critical technical problems and flight safety issues. In a Parliamentary Standing Committee report released this week, the MoD gave testimony saying, "The Air Force is procuring 75 Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) for its Stage-I (ab-initio) flying training requirement. PC-7 Mk-II Turbo Prop aircraft of M/s Pilatus, Switzerland has been short-listed and contract negotiations have been completed. The case is being processed for CCS approval. The delivery of the aircraft is scheduled to commence 15 months after signing of the contract. 24 aircraft are expected to be delivered within 25 months, which will enable basic training to commence on these new aircraft. Two simulators for BTA are planned to be procured. 106 BTA are planned to be designed and developed by HAL along with 3 simulators. Induction is planned to commence from 2016."

Speaking of the HPT-32 grounding and the genesis of the basic trainer procurement programme, the IAF told the Committee. "In July, 2009, we had a very unfortunate accident on the HPT-32, which was our basic trainer. This involved two very senior qualified Flying Instructors.About the HPT-32, because of no satisfactory response from the original equipment manufacturer of the engines, we found that we had no option but to ground those aircraft till such time we did get a very satisfactory answer. This aircraft has got a very adverse gliding characteristic. In case, the aircraft is not able to restart the engine in the air, then it is very dangerous for pilot. Here, we had two senior qualified Flying Instructors not able to pull off a safe landing. So, the Air Force had no option but to ground these aircraft. The process of getting this basic trainer aircraft started immediately thereafter."

Speaking of the Korean protest and certain "anonymous" complaints, the IAF's testimony continues: "Finally, there were only three aircrafts, which were short-listed. This entire process finished in January 2011 on approval of the Staff Evaluation Report by the Ministry. What happened after that was this. There were a couple of letters. There were some anonymous letters, some actual representations from one of the losing vendors. Therefore, it was felt appropriate in this case to have it thoroughly examined and the Ministry did that. It took some time. So, if you look at it, the time lost was, actually after submission of the report in 2011. If this had not interfered with the procurement process, I believe by end of 2011, by the last quarter, we would have certainly signed the contract. The intervening delay was only because of this reason."

The Standing Committee, in its comments, has noted: "[The Air Force] has reached to a critical stage with regard to trainer aircraft and simulators. The grounding of HPT-32 and the ageing of Kiran aircraft has further worsened the situation thereby compromising the training requirement of our pilots. The Committee are of the firm view that there is an urgent need to address the aforesaid issue immediately. The option of having aircraft on lease from the countries where we have signed the contract as well as sending our pilots to the manufacturer country from which we are buying trainer aircraft emerged as option during the course of deliberations by the Committee. The Committee emphasize that all these options need to be explored by the Air Force as well as the Ministry of Defence. Moreover, all the support by way of outlay should be provided by the Government. Not only that it should be ensured that the procurement procedures are put on fast track by addressing the various hurdles encountered at various stages so as to ensure that the Air Force at any cost get the Pilatus PC-7 Mark-II aircraft by the December next year as stated by the representative of Air Force during the course of deliberations so as to address the urgent and immediate need of Basic Trainer Aircraft for Air Force."
    from livefist
    Have a good one..

ICG dhruv..

Have a good one..

Wing Cmdr (retd) Hari Nair, HAL test pilot of the LCH posted this pic of the LCH while climbing beyond 6000m, i.e. beyond 20000 ft..:diablo:

IAF hercules and Mi 35s in action...

Have a good one..

Slick Looking Aircraft

I hope it does well.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrubik View Post
    I meant the increased size..which doesnt seem to have happened.
    Oh they definitely will increase the size of the intakes on the real Mk2 prototypes. It may well be such a small increase that to the naked eye it may seem the same. Even on the Gripen Demo that is powered by the F-414, the increase in the intake size is very hard to tell by just looking at it.

Not DSI...
    Thank God ! I thought that you'd crossed over to the dark side !

LCA planners now plan on adding a 5th naval prototype to the 4 already decided on. Design release of NP3 and NP4 is a big step. It means that they have released the drawings, which implies that the LCA Mk-2 detail design phase is over. Now, they will start manufacturing the Mk2 prototypes for the IAF and IN.

Does any one know how many Mk2 prototypes were to be built for the IAF version of the LCA Mk-2?

LCA team gearing up for 5th prototype

Chethan Kumar, Bangalore, May 4, 2012, DHNS :

Learning from its experience with the air force version of the light combat aircraft (LCA), Team LCA is gearing up for the design and development of NP-5, the fifth prototype of the naval variant of the LCA.

P S Subrahmanyam, chief of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the nodal agency for the LCA programme, said: “We believe that we would need more than two aircraft to go through the certification process and get the aircraft inducted into the Navy and so, we will have NP-5.”

NP-5 will be in addition to LCA-NP 1, the first prototype (twin-seater trainer) which completed its maiden flight on April 27, 2012, and LCA-NP 2, a single seat fighter, which is in the process of development.

Although ADA is yet to decide whether the prototype will be a fighter or a trainer, sources said: “The Tejas (IAF version), which has more than six aircraft flying ‘continuously’ is yet to complete the certification process. So we have learnt that it would be very time-consuming to try and get through the process with only two aircraft for the naval version.”

The prototype will be powered by the GE-404 engine that powers other LCAs.
    “This will be the fifth prototype because we have already allocated and released the designs for NP 3 and NP 4 (LCA MK-II) to be powered by the GE-414 engines and cannot change that now.
    But NP 5, we now think, will be necessary, keeping in mind the certification process,” Subrahmanya said. And the only thing left before India signs deal with GE Aviation for 99 GE-F414 engines now is the clearance from the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).

The Price Negotiation Committee (PNC), which was set up in late 2010 has finalised the deal after having surpassed all the hurdles before it and the file is now expected to go to the CCS anytime. The PNC, comprising representatives from the Indian Air Force (IAF), the Navy, the Ministry of Defence (MoD), HAL, ADA and the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) negotiated with GE and the US government for over 15 months before coming to a conclusion.
    Last edited by BlackArcher; 4th May 2012 at 23:02.

Thread Information