Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Supermarine Swift on E-bay

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John Smith View Post
    Hmm..if that is the case, then there a company called Jet Art Aviation; they seem to buy ex-military aircraft, tart them up and them sell them on for outrageous prices on E-bay.

They're based in North Yorkshire, by the way...so the combination of the words "e-bay" and "North Yorkshire" may not be just a coincidence!

I've checked the website, no mention of any Supermarine Swifts yet (although they do have a pair of Tonkas for sale - see http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/what-we-do/aircraft/. Seems to be F.3 ZE256 and a GR.4 with a "ZA" serial. The website shows GR.1 ZA558, but that one crashed 28/10/1983...)

If I am correct, then the Swift will turn up on e-bay in a year or so, cosmetically restored, and with a £75,000 price tag...
    Well lets hope so!

Your post makes it sound like it s a bad thing IF it were to go to Jet Art when really, it can only be a good thing. It will be restored, sold on, and another aircraft that was looking like it was only fit for the scrap man will be bought, jet Art will be criticised for their prices, the aircraft will get restored, sold and so on... It's a win win situation for aircraft preservation.

Their prices might seem high (And personally speaking, I think some of them are very hight!), but they're making a business from it... So if people are willing to pay, then good luck to them.

Either way, its great news that the Swift has been saved.

Difficult one really -it will only enter preservation if it ends up with a museum and preferably undercover.
    Look at a number of posts now with fuselages and cockpits and many state that you can have it cut where you like . So I guess if the bid is enough the Swift could become a cockpit depending on the buyer's taste.

I have to agree with VX927, IF the Swift has gone to JA then that would indicate a good future for the aircraft, just look at the fantastic restoration work on their Harrier T.4 last year, possibly one of the best Harrier restorations ever.
    Anyone that can pour in their own money and resources into these projects deserves credit, ultimately it is down to them how much they sell the item for, hopefully someone will be able to afford the finished article.
    Also worth noting that the advertised price, is rarely the same as the actual selling price.

Supermarine Swift on E-bay

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Shocking! Just looking at the map and clearly its North Yorkshire !
    Selby, whether you like it or not, is definitely in NORTH YORKSHIRE. Who says so? The local council - and, after all, it is their business to know...

Selby District Council
    Civic Centre
    Doncaster Road
    Selby
    North Yorkshire
    YO8 9FT

source http://www.selby.gov.uk/template.asp...d=0&pageid=293

It would be great if the Swift were to be restored and eventually displayed undercover in a UK museum. I wonder if the IWM would be interested if they had funds available? I've always thought that the lack of a Supermarine jet is a real gap in their collection of British aircraft. We can always hope!

To answer my own question, an article was seen in Jets Monthly which confirmed the Swift F Mk.4 WK275 has been bought by a private collector and has been transported to Jet Art Aviation, Selby, North Yorkshire for a full restoration.
    On inspection it has been found to be a complete airframe with it's original engine and jet pipe, also when the cockpit was opened for the first time in nearly forty years again it was found to be complete with all instrumentation and the original ejector seat

Great news, and good to hear that it is still so complete.

As a former resident of Hereford, and one who has watched the sad decline of this aircraft over the years, I am delighted that the future looks rosy for it. I'm amazed that it still has its original engine! Hopefully Jet Art will document its restoration - I'd love to see how it progresses.
    Along the edge of this airfield, the old prop-shaft airliners stand.
    Altimeters reading zero, formless memories lingering...

theguitarsmith.com

Thanks for your report: it proves that my speculation - that Jet Art were involved - was correct.

Relevant to this post is this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-15636592 It's an interview with the former owner of WK275, dated 8 November 2011 and gives a good "up close and personal" look at what state the airframe was in late last year.

From what you say, it look as though WK275 was very well "weatherproofed": it will need to have been, having been out in the open for 44 years!

The speculation now moves on to: what the new owner plans to do with WK275 in a year or two, once it has been restored?

I hope that it will be made accessible to the public, and it would be great if it were loaned to say, the chaps at Elvington...
    Last edited by Dr. John Smith; 17th April 2012 at 17:37.

Quite possibly the last earely Swift afterburner, as neither the RAF or Newark examples have theirs

Great to hear it's gone to jet Art. I'm sure they will do a great job on the restoration
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

The thing that concerns me is that Jet Art price things to sell overseas, does this mean the Swift is going to need an export licence too?

Its not owned by Jet Art - they are doing the restoration work.

I understand it was an absolute pig to dismantle!

Bruce

Would it be possible for JetArt to post a picture of the cockpit here? Would love to see it
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

I also read the Jets Monthly article today. Another thing worth mentioning is that Jet Art were quoted as saying it had been very well weatherproofed, and was in remarkable good overall condition given how long it has been outside. That sounds encouraging! I really hope it gets well restored and taken care of from now on.
    Is it just me, or would the finished article look fantastic at Hendon next to the Hunter?
    Bright Young Thing.

Thread Information