Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Indian Missiles News

IAF is a substantial purchaser of KH-25 & 29 missiles but it does not seem that DRDO is developing any missile in this category of medium weight Air to Surface missiles equivalent to KH-25, 29, 38 series or for that matter Maverick missile.
    Last edited by Curious; 12th March 2014 at 06:18.

x-posting from http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...93#post2125093

India test fires long range N-missile launched from under sea

In a significant step towards completing the nuclear triad available with a few nations, India has successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable ballistic missile launched from an underwater platform with a range of over 2,000 kms.

The missile, which can be launched from submarines, was test-fired yesterday in the Bay of Bengal and all parameters were met, Defence Ministry sources said.

This is the longest range missile in the underwater category to have been developed by India.

With this development, India has developed the capability of launching long-range nuclear-capable missile from surface, air and underwater.

Defence Minister AK Antony has congratulated the team of scientists involved in the tests.

Launch from a submarine and integration of the three types of capabilities will mean completion of the nuclear triad, which is available only with a few countries like the US, France, Russia and China.

The submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) is being readied for deployment on various platforms including the around 6,000-tonne indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant which will soon be ready for sea trials, sources said.

The missile is part of the family of underwater missiles being developed by DRDO for the Indian strategic forces' underwater platforms.

The DRDO has already developed the BO5 missile, which can strike targets at a range of around 700 km.

India has a no-first-use policy for nuclear weapons and the development of an SLBM boosts its retaliatory strike capability, experts said.
    Although this missile will require more tests ... but another step to fill the gaps.

I do not trust that range is 2000 KM

First ASTRA launched off a Su-30MKI today !!!

https://twitter.com/livefist
    http://www.livefistdefence.com/2014/...-from-iaf.html

Deino

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

The new PDV interceptor for the BMD shield with an intercept ceiling of 120 km, was tested a few days back. The current test was only test of seeker and the missile mechanism with the missile being taken close to the target without interception. PDV, a hit to kill interceptor with a dual IIR and active radar seeker, will replace PAD interceptor from the shield.

A video of the latest ASTRA test from Chinese site !

http://www.fyjs.cn/forum.php?mod=vie...45536#lastpost

Deino

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

CHANDIGARH, MAY 7 Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha today visited the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL) ranges at Ramgarh near Chandigarh today for technical discussions and review of the joint collaborative projects being undertaken by the TBRL and the Air Force. He was briefed about the activities and facilities at TRBL by its director, Dr Manjit Singh and presentations were made on the new projects taken up by TBRL, that include development of fuses for air armament,high calibre bomb, deep earth penetrator and the jet propulsion system for RTRS National Test facility. The Air Chief was also shown experimental trials on Flux Compression Generator.
    http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/whatsnew/ac-demo.pdf

Bunker busters and research into EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post

Brahmos-M 'mini' on display with the standard Brahmos missile. The lighter version is being developed for mid sized fighters (MiG-29, Rafale, Mirage-2000 etc)
    It has now been confirmed that Bramhos 'mini' will have the same range and warhead size as original Brahmos, but a higher velocity. A Su-30Mki would be able to carry "3 to 5" of Brahmos-M.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
    It has now been confirmed that Bramhos 'mini' will have the same range and warhead size as original Brahmos, but a higher velocity. A Su-30Mki would be able to carry "3 to 5" of Brahmos-M.
    Very impressive if it's achieved.

What is mini on this missile if warhead and other parts are the same? smaller fuel tank? New and smaller engine?

Quote Originally Posted by xena View Post
    What is mini on this missile if warhead and other parts are the same? smaller fuel tank? New and smaller engine?
    1.5 ton instead of 2.5 (air launched, 3 ton for regular Brahmos), 6 meters length instead of 8.4, 0.51 meter dia instead of .6m+, smaller wingspan. Also, no mods needed on existing airframes to carry the missile.

A bit of info on the roll that affects Sudarshan LGB kit restricting it's CEP to 10 meters.
    ADE is engaged with design & development of high precision laser guided bomb (LGB). It is
    an air dropped munition that by help of its seeker guides itself towards the target. The associated
    control law deflects the front canards to generate the desired trajectory. Figure 1 shows its overall
    configuration. During its free flight, Air Weapon generates a roll which may be arising from
    sources such as manufacturing asymmetry, small protrusions, separation dynamics or unsteady
    atmospheric conditions. Though the roll is unintentional, it is generally not harmful, as small
    amount of roll provides lateral stability to the flight. The control law is also such that it is able to
    incorporate some amount roll while guidance is given to munition. The problem arises when roll
    rate is more than 10 RPM which causes control law to be ineffective and it becomes difficult to
    guide the munition.
    In such instances, the canards are deflected so as to generate rolling moment for reducing the
    RPM. It is observed that canards are not very effective in producing desired rolling moment due to
    an “adverse roll” effect being generated from tail fin. It can be seen that the size of canards is
    relatively large and when deflected, creates a large wake. The interaction of this wake with tail fins
    is reason behind “adverse roll” effect. This phenomena leads to non linear rolling moment (w.r.t.
    canard deflection). The non-linearity makes it very difficult to implement a roll control law in Air
    Weapon.
    Therefore, ADE has decided to modify the munition to a Free Rolling Tail configuration,
    thereby, isolating the effect of tail roll on canard roll control effectiveness. However, whether the
    free rolling tail will affect the overall aerodynamics of Air Weapon, is dictated by the roll rate of
    tail, which is difficult to estimate.
    ADE desires to investigate the “adverse roll” phenomena in Air Weapon by CFD-dynamics
    studies with an objective to estimate the roll rate of tail fin under the influence of “induced” rolling
    moment.
    It looks like a 250 Kg variant of Sudarshan LGB kit is also coming out soon (on top).

From IIT-K yet another torpedo project, Glider assisted torpedo.

Projects : Glider Assisted Torpedo, NSTL Visakhapatnam

Sponsoring Agency : NSTL
    Period : 2011-2012

The goal of this project is to develop a design of a glider configuration which when mounted on the torpedo can assist it to glide. The specified objective is to achieve a minimum range of 25 Km in a maximum duration of 250 sec when the whole assembly is launched from an altitude of 6 Km with a circular error probability of 500m. This study posed interesting problems in terms of high wing loading and development of compact mechanisms owing to the space constraints. Mechanisms are required to set the wing and tail in positions after launch, which otherwise are aligned with the torpedo and folded respectively, so that the system can fit in the bomb bay. Indigenous mechanisms are proposed to meet the requirements. Wing loading is very high resulting from the heavy weight of torpedo and geometrical constraints on design of wing. The assembly after launch has to be controlled with the help of an on-board autopilot using integrated GPS-INS so as to accommodate it in the flight envelop provided by NSTL, Visakhapatnam. Apart from glider design, this project involves evaluation of stability of the entire system during flight, trajectory simulation and performance against atmospheric disturbances.The mechanisms are developed using Autodesk Inventor software and the stress analysis on them for different loads is also carried out using the same software.
    Prof. A.K. Ghosh Home page

Quote Originally Posted by lukos View Post
    Very impressive if it's achieved.
    Why wouldn't it be achieved ?

A lot of the gains in performance with respect to weight will come from undoing whatever they did to reign in the original missile's capabilities to MTCR limits - the Russian domestic equivalent has almost double the range IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    A lot of the gains in performance with respect to weight will come from undoing whatever they did to reign in the original missile's capabilities to MTCR limits - the Russian domestic equivalent has almost double the range IIRC.
    Yep, that's why i'm asking why the scepticism. BrahMos Mini is very much doable by India alone, let alone a joint project.
    Last edited by El_Indigo; 6th July 2014 at 20:09.

Brahmos Block III was tested again yesterday. Apart from having steep dive mode for bunker busting it carried a new guidance chip, G3OM (GPS + GLONASS + GAGAN). The chip is small enough to be fit inside miniature PGMs.

Maitra?
    Oppressi Liberandi

Thread Information