Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: "Sea Fury" Riff Raff in Reykjavik 13.09.2011

"Sea Fury" Riff Raff in Reykjavik 13.09.2011

I´ve not seen any mention of this on the forum, but Reno modified Sea Fury Riff Raff stopped in Reykjavik on it´s ferry flight from the US to the Czech Republic. It arrived at around 17:20 local time on the 12th and left around 10:00 local on the 13th. It´s destination was Egilstadir on the east coast of Iceland, and from there it was headed to Norway. The general understanding is that the aircraft has been sold to the Czeck Republic, but I don´t know if that is true.

Baldur Sveinsson captured the arrival and departure, and his photos can be seen on this link: http://www.verslo.is/baldur/20110912_SeaFury/
    Those who can.....do,
    Those who can not.....teach (that's me!)

Confirmed to Czech Republic.

No extra fuel tanks... !!!

I thought it was a joke when it was reported on a norwegian aviation forum that a Sea Fury stayed overnight at Sola, Stavanger last night..
    That is a very rare visitor..!

-
    E

Thanks for the "heads-up" and the excellent photographs. Adds a lot of fuel to the debate about "do warbirds look good in civil schemes". Not 'arf.

Reminds my of Ormond Hayden-Bailey's ferry flight of his Sea Fury from Canada to the UK. He did a report of it in FlyPast at the time. One point was that he was alarmed to see smoke pouring out behind the aircraft, only to realise that it was a contrail caused by the exhaust gasses freezing in the cold air at the height he was flying at to reduce fuel burn.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

Sounds more like Rob Lamplough -Ormond was sadly deceased a good few years before FlyPast came on the scene.

Or maybe Norman Lees, who i think was Robs ferry pilot for that one!
    WANTED - Westland Wyvern & Short Sturgeon parts & photos!

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Yes indeed -I do recall the article trying to date it at maybe 1985 ish!

Fantastic looking example, thanks for posting the news and the link to those superb photos.
    Last edited by pagen01; 14th September 2011 at 20:41.

Its nice to see another of the type in Europe. The inevitable question is 'Will we see it at Legends?'

Quote Originally Posted by Banupa View Post
    Reminds my of Ormond Hayden-Bailey's ferry flight of his Sea Fury from Canada to the UK. He did a report of it in FlyPast at the time. One point was that he was alarmed to see smoke pouring out behind the aircraft, only to realise that it was a contrail caused by the exhaust gasses freezing in the cold air at the height he was flying at to reduce fuel burn.
    As soon as I read your first sentence I was sure of what you were going to say next, I to will always remember his report.
    Wide open & turning left

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Sounds more like Rob Lamplough -Ormond was sadly deceased a good few years before FlyPast came on the scene.
    Nope, I am pretty sure Flypast was around for a few years before.

Edit, as sure as I was, you are right about the time line , '77 and '81. Maybe it was in Aviation News ? because I am sure (there I go again) it was about OHB's Sea Fury.
    Last edited by Flat 12x2; 14th September 2011 at 20:13.
    Wide open & turning left

OHB was lost in the Cavalier Mustang I-BILL in Germany in 1977, just after his display at RIAT, Greenham Common

FlyPast first appeared in 1981.

Control Column ( only the radical hardcore will remember that ! ) ran a nice piece by OHB on his transatlantic flight, and his arrival at Prestwick, not forgetting the high speed pass which detached the anti-slip strip at the wing root!

At a guess, it was about 1974.

Just found that the anti-slip strip actually came off at San Diego, not as stated.
    Last edited by Propstrike; 14th September 2011 at 21:27. Reason: error

Count me as "hardcore" then! My dad still has loads of CC's in his loft!
    Shhhhhhh! It's the internet, no one cares. I hope the belligerent high post count tossers are listening...

Def O.H-B. Pretty sure it was FlyPast, but other magazines are/were available...
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

In a previous scheme...Oshkosh 2005
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 7th August 2012 at 10:14.

Any info available regarding its routing and possible (fuel) stops between Sola and the Czech Republic?

Are we sure it is not Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan on his way to Reno for the races..?

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

I remember an article about a Sea Fury ferry flight in Warbirds Worldwide-but doubt if that info helps at all!
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

That is gorgeous. What a scheme!

James

Sea Fury engine

Has that one got the Centaurus or the Wright R-3350?

This one has the R3350
    Those who can.....do,
    Those who can not.....teach (that's me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Banupa View Post
    Def O.H-B. Pretty sure it was FlyPast, but other magazines are/were available...
    I think I can clear this one up! The full article of the ferry flight was written by Ormonde himself in Control Column magazine, and I have the original copy. However a feature about his fleet and mentioning the ferry flight in its opening paragraphs was in a well known Boys magazine of the time , this being "Speed and Power" and included a nice colour air to air of the CF100 and the famous low level T33 shot at Duxford. Again I have the original magazine which I bought as a Schoolboy at the time. Flypast didn't emerge until 1981 and this signalled the demise of Control Column, which then got smaller and smaller until it just disappeared from its already limited outlets. Other magazines were indeed available to the schoolboy of the time but they were generally placed on the top shelf at newsagents...

Mark, can you add your comments please!
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
    Other magazines were indeed available to the schoolboy of the time but they were generally placed on the top shelf at newsagents...
    Unfortunately FlyPast and others of that ilk are now on the bottom shelf at my local WHS, which I can get down to easily enough, it's just getting back up that I have problems with.

Can't add anything about OAH-B, but there was a "trial" forerunner of FlyPast in 1980 called Classic Aircraft (a WHS publication), only number one saw light of day (I keep my copy with the reast of my FlyPast mags), although I have been told that number 2 was ready to go, Mike Twite and Ken Ellis were two of the names involved, and the layout was the same as FlyPast when that emerged the following year.

Thread Information