Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Cockpit Sections/Instrument Panel Projects Part 2

You're right on the low number of open cockpits, though there were more if you asked nicely. No cockpitfest South activity at all but nothing was promised on the website. Still a good afternoon out.

We weren't there as we were at the excellent Martlesham Heath Tower Museum in Suffolk.....we had already been booked there. Besides, I don't have bottomless funds to attend every event (fuel and trailer hire is expensive!!)

Quote Originally Posted by ian_ View Post
    You're right on the low number of open cockpits...No cockpitfest South activity at all but nothing was promised on the website
    Not the website no, but Heli1 has repeatedly mentioned it in his IHM thread, most recently as August 31st...

Plans are now confirmed for the informal Cockpiteers Day on 11th September at the museum.This will run alongside the Open Cockpit Day ,with space provided for other nose sections under cover if necessary.Although the number of confirmations/interest is small,the museum hopes to build on this for future years.
    Cockpiteers can arrive on the Saturday or early Sunday morning for the event....just contact 01934 824758 to confirm .
    The museum opens to the public at 10.00
    ....whereas with hindsight and being out of pocket for a familiy admission plus fuel, there was in fact no such event or any participants.

Perhaps Heli1 would care to explain himself ? I would at least like to know the answer/s even if no one else is bothered.

Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

It was a good afternoon, I found an attitude indicator for my panel
    Okay there is a little bit of work
    To be continued
    Last edited by mirage3B; 12th September 2011 at 16:46.

Does anyone have any ideas on what type of metal is used for the identifying clips on the wiring below, I initially thought they might be lead but I don't think that is the case now. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it so I can hunt a roll of metal down to make my clips! I would also be interested in any links to UK aircraft parts suppliers too as I haven't had a massive amount of luck locating sites aircraftspruce in the UK.

Thanks
    Matt

They are a soft aluminium - about 24swg - use something like L59

Bruce

Cheers Bruce thats greatly appreciated. Incidentally I managed to track down a roll of yellow wire that is a great match for the wartime stuff, unfortunately its multi stranded and not solid core but it just doesn't look like its possible to get solid core wire like the type I need.
    The one thing I haven't been able to locate that would be a great help would be an actual Luftwaffe wiring manual, I've got ignition harness manuals, pipe manuals and all the schematics and parts lists (except of course k-4 electrical) but I have yet to see anything that mentions the actual wiring specs to use and wiring guidelines, also unsure as to how the choice between yellow or red wiring was made.
    The schematics show internal plug colours (blue, black, red etc.) for the varnish to be applied to the connections but nothing seems to mention the actual wire type to use!

All the best
    Matt

I think there was a switchover between red/black, and yellow wire, but I dont know when it was.

None of the wire in the FW190 or ME262 was single strand, it was all multi strand. There are however crimped ends which might give that appearance. They are available from NWS in Germany.

Bruce

That's interesting, I was under the impression that it was all solid core from the bits I have, it's good news if it isn't! I did find the thin internal wiring in the Mutterkompass is multi strand with crimps.
    Thanks again it's much appreciated
    Matt

Thats a real mix! 109G?

Probably built with red and black wiring, and the yellow is later modifications.

Bruce

Looks like one of Connie Edwards Buchons to me?
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Quote Originally Posted by Fouga23 View Post
    Looks like one of Connie Edwards Buchons to me?

It's the Australian G-6, I think it's probably the best reference as every other 109 has been restored and re-jigged. By the looks of the photo I think anything goes!
    Thanks for the heads up on the NWS crimping tool too Bruce that looks to be perfect, i'm regretting now that I didn't have any money at the time to come and hoover up your Luft spares but circumstances don't always align correctly!

No problem; I may have a few odds and sods left; I'll have a rummage

Bruce

Ta, anything is useful! Just respraying Brandschottstecker at the moment!

Two restored Brandschottstecker and Steckdose

some great looking projects on here guys, great job each and everyone of you!
    myself im just working on a couple of instrument panel projects (being a student it's all that time and money currently allow!!) the one im closes to completeing parts wise is a p-51D but im still missing the panel!! can anyone point me in the direction of a decent replica or plans?
    thanks
    Sam

Hello,
    I went out this topic to show you where I am with my cockpit,
    I ended up restoring the standby horizon...and the adventure continue

I also get the second panels Jaguar (left side) so now I have the full panel, if someone is interrested it is to sell or exchange
    Good Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by mirage3B View Post
    I ended up restoring the standby horizon...and the adventure continue
    Nice work!
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

A bit more

Well it is still part of a B-17 Blk 4 and floor
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'I know, lets build a B-17' seemed like a good idea at the time

Very nice, Mirage. You brought that gauge back from the dead. That is a very impressive bit of engineering, B17 man. Is it upside down?
    I gave up and made a selector panel. Still looking for a VSI though.
    Last edited by ian_; 4th December 2011 at 17:43.

My Fairey Firefly Mk 7 project is progressing slowly.
    Last edited by H.M.S Vulture; 3rd October 2012 at 19:34.
    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Quote Originally Posted by H.M.S Vulture View Post
    My Fairey Firefly Mk 7 project is progressing slowly.
    Looking good Andrew keep at it.........

That's a lot of Firefly, Should keep you busy! I've got four bits of a MkVII Spit which are from just close enough together to fit. Not really a project but with a proper frame to hold them it should make a suitable display.

Quote Originally Posted by No.2 A.A.C.U. View Post
    Looking good Andrew keep at it.........
    Its about time you showed photos of the Martinet project !!!!
    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Panels

Maybe not quite so historic as some pictures I have seen, nor perhaps as interesting as the 109, Firefly etc stuff on here but I thought I would post my latest project. It has taken about a year or so to obtain all the right instruments and get them cleaned up to a presentable standard but well worth it as it was a very enjoyable project. Here is my early SH-3B originally but then I believe converted to an H, instrument panel from about 196?.

The main reason for posting this pic is that beneath the panel is a landing gear sub panel complete with emergency lowering handle, I have no idea what it came from, it was originally attached (poorly) to the bare metal panel before restoration. Anyway the point is that that is going spare and is available free to anyone who has a use for it. Perhaps I should mention that the workings behind the front plate, dont. Work that is, but it would still fill a whole in someones panel if just for display purposes.

PM me if interested.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

QP
    Last edited by QuePee; 6th December 2011 at 01:56.

Lovely stuff chaps! Keep it coming! Although it is cold we need to keep it cooking lol!!
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 7th August 2012 at 10:14.

Bottisham P-51 project

Progress slow but sure - new canopy glass acquired - bulkhead being sand blasted prior to permanent fitting - seat fully restored - cockpit panel complete.

Now focusing on fitting wooden floor and trying to find some suitable H section for upper longerons.

N9 gunsight, SCR 522 radio & throttle quadrant still on wants list.

Bottisham Link Trainer

After a substantial loan of parts our ANT-18 Link trainer is making progress. The loan has included a base, throttle quadrant, control arms and many of the desk items.

Picture shows the trial fit of our new cockpit panel which should bring back closer to its original USAAF configuration - the panel that came with it was fitted with 50's & 60' RAF instruments.

Still on the look out for a cockpit hood, wings and tailplane. Also more american instruments & rudder pedals.

Picture shows part of our dedicated team my deputy chairman Mark (left) & Rob (Wyvernfan).

Ah my old blue Linkie. Might have a leed on parts you need. I'll get back to ya....

Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

Thread Information