Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2072

Thread: The New "Wot Plane" Thread (For The Rules Of The Game, See Post #1)

Spot on Mike, and I think SKh-1 is the same as CX-1. (I think of it as the LIG-10).

Have at it-

Well it's at least five days since we had a glider, so, never let it be said that I am narrow-minded........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dearie me, it's gone quiet. Funny thing is, this company made gliders of the other sort (i.e. the boring ones) too.....but here's another view.

My money is on the Arsenal 1301.

I'd have said the 2301 as it appears to have a swept, rather than a delta, wing.

This was the photo that sold me on it.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...Braas/8296.htm

I was using http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/ar...ronautique.pdf as my source of reference - but as F-WFUZ seems to have been applied to both gliders, maybe the Arsenal 2301 was a reworking of the 1301!

Have to give this to aa, as I have this as the Arsenal 2301.

According to 'Prototypes de l'Aviation Française', the later delta modification to the same machine was designated SFECMAS 1301.

If I am wrong, please put me right !

Credit to Moze, he did the hard work. I was just fortunate to have side by side images of the 1301 and the 2301, to notice the different wings and to think that I could see shorter wing roots on the second image posted. I'll post a new 'wot plane' but you'll probably have to give me until this evening to come up with something reasonably challenging.

Here's a sporty little number that shouldn't be too difficult to identify...............

If this is a "not difficult" type, I would hate to see one of the hard ones!

I know the French liked to photograph their aircraft with the tails propped up quite a bit but don't think this one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moze View Post
    If this is a "not difficult" type, I would hate to see one of the hard ones!
    You should have seen the one that I wanted to post. I came across the photos purely by chance. It was an aeroplane completely new to me and I was only able to find one other passing reference to it anywhere. But those pictures were so poor and grainy that I decided it really wouldn't be fair to use them. But maybe, one day when I'm getting really desperate......! But in the meantime, that posted really isn't as difficult as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    But those pictures were so poor and grainy that I decided it really wouldn't be fair to use them.
    Don't worry, aa - Moze has a cellarful of photos like that and never fails to use them - especially when it gets hot in Texas and that makes him what they call 'ornery'....

Wot, no attempts at all? I would have expected more of such a body of expertise, particularly as there are images of this one on the web. But so be it. According to the rules, we're now at clue time.....

This 'wot plane' was written off in a landing accident, but the next (and last) in the series - cowled, faired and spatted - carried all before it (in the hands of the same pilot who had written off that which is illustrated here).

Is it the Lorraine-Hanriot LH-41 ??

It is indeed - or to be more precise, the Lorraine Hanriot LH 41/1. Thus it's your shout, sir!

At http://www.airwar.ru/enc/law1/lh41.html and http://mainescenery.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=5392 there are selections of images of the LH 41/1 and the 41/2. It is in the 41/2 that Marcel Haegelen won Coupe Michelin in 1931 and 1932. But these images of the 41/1 all appear to show a radiator (?) on the starboard side of the fuselage above the wing and this is not evident on the image that I posted. Now it may be that I am being deceived by the poor quality of that image but, if not, can anyone comment on this?

Looks like there were three distinct developments, as shown on this Czech modelling site -
    http://obchod.valka.cz/index.php/man...skq0qnrhts8rrt

The only one I knew previously was the streamlined, spatted model !

Here's a neat little 'phibian...

Looks like the Spencer-Larsen SL-12C.

A man who knows his floaters.... Correct, sir.

Everyone likes a motorglider, right? (Small pusher setup at rear of wing. A bit hard to see as I think the engine is in the fuselage attached to the prop via a long chain.)

I just found another photo and it looks like the 34hp engine is mounted on the wing. My apologies!

If only I could read the board on the hangar door in the original image. It looks as if it might offer a clue. The words in bold appear to read 'DAY'S EVENTS' (although I'm less sure about the former than the latter) and the words in smaller print might be the days of the week. Thus this had me wondering about the 1923 Lympne motor glider competition, but I think that I have discounted all entries to that and thus this possibility. Which leaves me no further forward than when I started!

I was thinkin Snyder Buzzard or Curtiss-Wright Junior first, but I think it is a tad earlier than that.

Eric has it although there seems to be two Buzzards. The one listed at Aerofiles is a smaller, lighter model. This is the Snyder-Johnson Buzzard of 1930 which led to the development of the CW Junior.

I have attached a pic of the other model for comparison. Very similar in layout.

Well done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snyder-Johnson Buzzard.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	207104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snyder Buzzard.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	207105  
    Last edited by Moze; 25th July 2012 at 12:16.

Thanks, the resemblance to the CW-1 is striking, so it had to be the Buzzard, but on checking my vague recollection I could only find the latter version...

Here's a picture with four different aircraft types (or bits thereof). I want at least two named, bonus point for three. Naming only the bottom one does not win you this wot-plane ;-)

Oh, and Avion Ancien should be having a field day: it's in France, although two of the types are not French!

..........yes, but it's rather like these archelogical dig TV programmes where the experts pick up a shard of pottery and assert boldly: "Oh yes, it's part of a neo-Samarian ritual mead jug from the first century BC, clearly imported from Gaul by Phoenician traders...." whereas I'd think that it was part of the flowerpot I dropped last week if I had any idea at all! But I'm sure that there is nothing Neo-Samarian or any Gaulish imports in the picture anywhere but, other than the Bulldog, it's not easy identifying sailplanes from their constituent parts. But I'll have a go, although it's likely that one of the real experts will weigh in with the other answers before I get anywhere near a result. Now where is that cap with the big D on it.......!

Right, here goes!

If the Bulldog is French, then I suspect that it's F-AZOB. If so, the photograph may have been taken at Chavenay-Villepreux. Ericmunk says that two of the types in the picture are not French. Thus is it reasonable to deduce that the other two are French? If so, taking the Bulldog out of the equation, presumably two of the three sailplanes are French. And if that's the case, I wonder if the constituent parts of the two sailplanes that, by deduction, are French are from Caudron C.800 (F-CBFO) and Nord 2000 (F-CAZK). Both are currently registered to Aéro Groupe de l'Air at Chavenay-Villepreux but there do not seem to be any recent pictures of them on the internet, so they may actually be hors de combat at the moment.

And if I'm not even warm, then I'm going off to have my glass of wine and leave better minds than me to find the answers!
    Last edited by avion ancien; 25th July 2012 at 21:06. Reason: spelling!

Right airfield (impressed!), right Bulldog. Now for the gliders: they are not the Neo-Samarian Nord 2000 (although its wings are in the same hangar, yes) and the C.800 (don't know where that is).

The clues: the fuselage frame is a French glider. The wing is a German glider. The rest is a complete French glider (although it is a bit difficult to distinguish what's what, it's almost all there).
    Last edited by ericmunk; 26th July 2012 at 07:48.

I must forget about the German glider, as my knowledge thereof leaves much to be desired, but might the bare frame, hanging in the rafters, be a Breguet 901? As to the other French glider, I'll take a stab at at Wassmer WA-30.

Thread Information