Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Slight F16 mishap at Oshkosh

Slight F16 mishap at Oshkosh

Went trundling off the end of the runway & then the nosegear collapsed causing the intake to become a shovel...

Interview Without Tea in his future..

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Bumps a daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post

Interview Without Tea in his future..
    Maybe, unless some other forces are at work here, like brake failure or such like
    Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

Someone on the spot said he landed in the #2 slot, didn't slow down at all, went around the other F16 in front of him & then planted it in the weeds
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Another reminder that all tarmac slickers fighters, are indeed tarmac slickers..

Perhaps a navalized fighter(SH?) with stronger MLG would have pulled this off and remained intact?
    Thanks

Why do you think it's called a lawndart ?
    Regards,

Frank

Wonder what the KPFAAAIB are going to make of this??
    www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Vamp T11 XE921, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

Took me a moment to work that out

Are there KPFAAAIB mugs?

ASB is saying the FJ Fury did the same move & is now sat next to the F16...

Holy Crap!
    Awsome pic!
    What kind of pods are under those wings?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Took me a moment to work that out

Are there KPFAAAIB mugs?
    There will be mugs.

Baz
    www.wallond.com

Quote Originally Posted by haavarla View Post

.......bent ones.
    www.wallond.com

Oopsie!

It will be interesting to hear the results of the accident investigation.

Note the non-collapse of the FJ-4 nose gear... a graphic demonstration of the strength differential between carrier-certified and land-only landing gear!

"Marinized-Typhoon" fanboys take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Bager1968 View Post
    Note the non-collapse of the FJ-4 nose gear... a graphic demonstration of the strength differential between carrier-certified and land-only landing gear!

"Marinized-Typhoon" fanboys take note!

Actually if you look closely at the pictures... the nose gear did NOT fold up...
    Its seems to have sunk into very soft ground

http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld...1.photogallery
    We are 100% SNAFU

Quote Originally Posted by haavarla View Post
    Holy Crap!
    Awsome pic!
    MXU-648 nukular bomb.

aka travel pod
    How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more.
    Yngwie Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by djcross View Post
    Oopsie!

It will be interesting to hear the results of the accident investigation.
    I wouldn't hold your breath for that, unless you are a Viper driver of course. We keep our mishap investigations confidential, on a need to know basis (ie releasable to others within the confines of the T/M/S community). Only time they become public is when there is some significant public reason to release it as such....ie jet crashes into house and kills a family in socal for example.

Board findings are routinely released to the manufacturer so design change recommendations can be made. Manufacturers are also brought into investigations as technical experts to support the AIB as needed. Strict privacy agreements are put in place when that happens. BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by djcross View Post
    Board findings are routinely released to the manufacturer so design change recommendations can be made. Manufacturers are also brought into investigations as technical experts to support the AIB as needed. Strict privacy agreements are put in place when that happens. BTDT.
    Agreed and I've seen all of the above, both with Boeing field reps as well as model manager types trolling around our spaces. Mechanical failure, yeah some folks like that on the extreme periphery of the business may see some of the findings, but I was speaking in general terms. Release is always very compartmentalized, and I rarely see SIR's for aircraft outside my own T/M/S unless for example the findings relate to the wider tacair community.

Interesting thread about it here:

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums...nt-at-oshkosh/

Which includes this gem:
    Was the first responder actually in an old VW Bug?
    & then this was posted:
    Yeager spoke last night at the theater in the woods. Apparently he's not afraid to speak his mind in front of a crowd. Don't know if he's got the scoop on what happened, but he bashed the viper driver in front of the crowd. Basically said he has no respect for a guy who lacks basic airmanship. I thought was pretty bold. But then again, I have no idea what happened.
    .....at which point the thread gets to discussing CY's personality...:diablo:

Quote Originally Posted by 35 AoA View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath for that, unless you are a Viper driver of course. We keep our mishap investigations confidential, on a need to know basis (ie releasable to others within the confines of the T/M/S community).

Not really.

The military (USAF) makes a public report (Accident Investigation Board) which anyone can receive, and a non-public one (the Safety Investigation Board) the difference is in security matters and aircrew confidentiality..some comments are "off the record" to facilitate openess in the safety investigation).

To quote from the USAF fact sheet on the matter: The SIB Report is prepared in two parts. The first is purely factual, and the second is privileged, meaning it is to be used solely for mishap prevention and is restricted from release outside the Air Force. The factual part is passed to the accident investigation board and is incorporated in that report in its entirety. The privileged part contains testimony taken under promise of confidentiality and a record of the SIB's deliberations. Additionally, certain medical material is included in this latter part to protect individuals' privacy.

I believe the non-public one is "For Official Use Only" as opposed to "Confidential" which is a security classification. (It's been 10 years, so my memory isn't clear..in part because I rarely saw the non-releasable/SIB report).

In any event, the USAF routinely makes a public news release on significant mishaps...and this event may, or may not, qualify. If this does, it will be because of its location and the interest it created.
    If the same thing happened at an air base, no one would care.

Usually, in anything other than a real crash or "Class A" mishap, no one asks for a report.
    I have handed out many AIB reports to media who ask for them.
    Usually, they're too detailed and technical for them to use.
    So in the end, they usually use the news release.

One of the highlights of my career was writing the official release on the gear-up landing of the YF-22 prototype.
    The report was 4" thick and I had to distill it into a page or two. I still have it in my files.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 3rd August 2011 at 01:56.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Yes, I agree with all of the above. On the USN/USMC side at least, we have 2 reports that can concievably be made. (1) would be the SIR (SIB in AF lingo), with this being the one that is convened for every class A, and remains confidential/secret. If there are greater liability issues, then a JAGMAN investigation would be (2) (AIB per your reference), and I think we are in agreement that this one is absolutely releasable to the public. In the case of a class A where a Viper plows into the dirt and doesn't hurt anyone, or generally cause a PR problem, I wouldn't expect (2) to occur, unless there were just a blatant disregard for the lives of bystanders. This is all I was getting at.......the situation IMO would only warrant a privelidged info SIR. My squadron has had a couple class A's since I have been around, and none have been released to the public, though both were aired on local and national news outlets at the time of the mishap.

Photo by S. Kovalsky on Sunday, 7/31/11

Thread Information