Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Brimstone

Brimstone

With reports that both the USA and France are interested in Brimstone is there any chance that it will be deployed aboard Gunships to replace Hellfire as it is a better weapon in the antitank role and it would be able to be used against ground targets as well.

Nick
    Nick Ashwell-Kennedy
    @nickajkennedy

Is it actually a better anti tank weapon though? There are versions of Hellfire that can be used against non-hardened targets as well. How does it compare range wise? I would think the main concern regarding fitting Brimstone to helicopters would be cost, how does it compare against Hellfire?

I don't see the point. Brimstone is a Hellfire-sized & shaped missile designed for firing from fast jets. It's probably more expensive than Hellfire, & for firing from helicopters, I can't think of any advantages it has.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

Proposals for the Joint Air to Ground Missile (JAGM) were submitted last week by LM and a team from Boeing/Raytheon. It is to replace Hellfire and Maverick. JAGM's trick is a tri-mode seeker robust to weather and countermeasures.

Early in the JAGM competition, Boeing was talking to MBDA about using the Brimstone airframe and adding it own seeker. I guess those talks fell apart because Boeing teamed with Raytheon.

Thread Information