Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Russian Crash details

Russian Crash details

Is there anywhere where I can found out details of Russian crashes apart from the usual couple of websites that always come up when you look on the internet? I am trying to find out details of a crash in the Northern Urals in 1991 in which there were 9 fatalities. I know nothing more than that, whether it was civil or military or type of aircraft other than these details here. It was near Mount Otorten and the Dyatlov Pass. I suppose even with the thawing of the secrecy after the fall of the Berlin Wall I don't suppose information is that easy to come by. There are details of accidents on the websites I mentioned but none of them fit.
    Any pointers greatfully received.
    Last edited by Old Git; 7th February 2011 at 20:46.

There is an irritating similarity with another incident, same location, same number of fatalities:
    "The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959."

Actually, Wieesso it is in connection with this that I was asking because quite frankly I don't believe there was a crash with 9 fatalities. It is merely to spice the Dyatlov incident up. There is a further dubious connecting story about the Mansi people of the region which says that 9 of the Mansi died on the mountain in ancient times as well. I think certainly the air crash part is hokum but of course you can never say that until you have checked it out properly.

Thread Information