Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hurricane Panel Help

Hurricane Panel Help

Hello All,
    I am currently collecting instruments to put together a Canadian Hurricane MK II panel and in need of assistance locating just about everything. I currently have a complete blind flying panel, RPM gauge, oxygen gauge and undercarriage switch. My priority is to obtain original port and starboard instrument panels preferable Canadian Car Manufacturer but also interested in any Hurricane gauge or switch for this panel.

Hi 69goatpgh

I just see your thread searching information on a Canadian Hurricane panel and wondered whether you had managed to get any further on your research?

As i have just acquired a replica panel with original instruments but unfortunately its missing some cockpit panel dials.
    I appreciate it will be a tough task but i would very much like any help into identifying the correct instruments for his panel.

Any help by anyone would be very much appreciated.

I'm sure he wont mind me mentioning him, but Ron Taylor in Canada is doing a Canadian Hurricane cockpit project. He is a regular here so I'm sure he will be along to give you some help and advice. I can help you with advice on a Mk I British panel, but not sure which you have ?

Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by Worcs Aviation View Post
    I'm sure he wont mind me mentioning him, but Ron Taylor in Canada is doing a Canadian Hurricane cockpit project. He is a regular here so I'm sure he will be along to give you some help and advice. I can help you with advice on a Mk I British panel, but not sure which you have ?

Ant.
    Hi Worcs Aviation

Thank you for taking the time to reply, below is a link of the Hurricane panel that i have the link was previously started by flyingblind.

Unfortunately since the thread was started back in 2013 a few instruments have gone missing, i have been told its from a RCAF Mk1 Hurricane but unfortunately whilst searching the net for sources up to now i have found no further info on my particular panel. whether it is the correct panel or not i would still like to complete it to the nearest as possible , so any information would be very much appreciated.

The left hand side of the panel is complete.

The blind flying panel is missing the top right instrument,the middle bottom Giro and the bottom right turn slip dial.

The right hand side panel is complete bar Temperature gauge fuel, the boost instrument (currently i have replaced it for now with a port and starboard fuel switch) also the rad temp dial and the rectangular instrument?
    of course the other extremely rare undercarriage dial at the very top left of the left panel, which has a temporary home made replacement.

So ideally i will require what i believe are American produced instruments.

Im a little out of my depth on this one but hopefully some of you panel experts can point me in the right direction.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...panel-or-is-it

Just to add one other thing could someone also tell me if these dials are correct on the completed panel one question for me is reference the MPH (Air) instrument would this be correct for a MK1 Hurricane? recording of 320 mph.

Thanks again.

I can't tell you much about the Canadian panels, not sure what is correct or not. The Airspeed indicator should go to 400 MPH if the same as a British one, the Artificial Horizon, is the later type , not fitted on MK I British Hurricanes. Magneto double switch should be the shorter toggle type. Downland Aviation used to do good undercarriage indicators. Hope this helps a bit.

Ant.

I can't tell you much about the Canadian panels, not sure what is correct or not. The Airspeed indicator should go to 400 MPH if the same as a British one, the Artificial Horizon, is the later type , not fitted on MK I British Hurricanes. Magneto double switch should be the shorter toggle type. Downland Aviation used to do good undercarriage indicators. Hope this helps a bit.

Ant.
    Thank you again for your quick reply and help, sorry was meant to add that i had added the artificial horizon (for now) ref the Magneto switch being longer would you know what type of aircraft mine may of fitted?

Ref the Download aviation used would there be a link for this?

Not sure on the toggle switch, bomber maybe. I don't have a link for Downland aviation, it has been ages since I was in touch with them, don't think they have a website. But the chaps son took over and is still producing replica parts including a MPH gauge. If you follow this link and then get in contact with him that way maybe ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/replica-ww...QAAOSwdGFYsa5p

Not sure on the toggle switch, bomber maybe. I don't have a link for Downland aviation, it has been ages since I was in touch with them, don't think they have a website. But the chaps son took over and is still producing replica parts including a MPH gauge. If you follow this link and then get in contact with him that way maybe ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/replica-ww...QAAOSwdGFYsa5p
    The link on ebay is to the son of Corke Areo of lincolshire.
    Downland aviation used to be based down in Sussex and used tio be a pleasure to deal with and well recommened. Sadly I believe the gentleman who ran it has now retired.
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit158 View Post
    The link on ebay is to the son of Corke Areo of lincolshire.
    Downland aviation used to be based down in Sussex and used tio be a pleasure to deal with and well recommened. Sadly I believe the gentleman who ran it has now retired.
    Thanks again Worcs Aviation the ebay link may be a path to follow.

A shame reference the Downland Aviation as no doubt would of been a handy link, but thank you for letting me know.

Actually it could have been Corke Aero, I think Downland aviation may have supplied me with a spade grip brake lever, been a while and the brain isn't what it was !

The 400 mph ASI on E bay is only a replica and a overpriced one at that.
    I have seen them a lot cheaper at a few aero jumbles last year and suggest you contact the owner of this website http://www.raf-surplus.co.uk/
    If you don't see what your after on the website email him.

Regards

Jason
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Canadian Car made Hurricane instrument panels and the appropriate instruments are difficult to locate. I've been looking for a manifold pressure gauge for 5 years without a sniff. But, everything shows up eventually.

Below are pictures of CCF made instrument panels for reference. The colour picture has a couple of replacements including the undercarriage indicator and the 4 switch at the bottom should be 3 switch.

The switches should be marked "CAN" instead of "AM".

The Artificial Horizon should have a surround as pictured in the 3rd picture.

Cheers,

Ron Taylor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCAF-production-018-via-Deryck-Hiskox.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	251896
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hurri 002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	251897