Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Whitley story...in scale

I have been in awe of your work all the way, I hope you can finish it.

I hope for better days for you, your family and Country.

My Very Best Wishes,

Paul

seconded

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    This is my first visit to this thread, and I have to say my mind is well and truly blown!!

Staggering stuff, man, please keep us informed!!
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Daren, This man is well and truely a master of his art seeing it is 1/72 scale.

I too am a modeller but this thread nearly made me pack it in and throw mine in the bin!!!!!!!!!!
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    And I thought I was good when I finished the 1/24th scale Airfix Spitfire Ia...!!

I really hope Alex gets to finish the Whitley, and I wouldn't mind looking at some of his other work, too, should he decide to post it on the forums.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Well.

Some people are good at making models..better than the average and good enough for museums etc.

Then there are a small band of folk who are just brilliant. You can see how they do it but wonder how they manage it and keep patience for all the time and care it needs to be something special

Then, now and again, you see this.

It doesn't seem possible, the detail and craftsmanship is beyond comprehension.

It is truly outstanding and I can't say more as there are not words to describe it.

Amazing

Alex...hope soon for a better future for you and of course everyone in Greece.

Garry

Sorry I've not revisited your thread since my last post, that work is again amazing. I hope things improve for you, your family and your country soon.

When you're ready I look forward to your next update.
    Victor XL231 Blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
    Home of the V-force on the web: http://twittervforce.com/

Alex,

From this day on, when I hear the phrase "Museum Quality" I shall think of your Whitley. It is a one of a kind that no one else could possible have the steady hand and patience to duplicate. If you put that on display anywhere be certain to have the photos of the interior with it. You really started with nothing on this project. Remember, when the non modeller asks you how many hours you've spent on this be sure to ask them how many hours they've spent watching TV!

I'd suggest that you include what you've posted here so far into a book describing your techniques step by step.
    Last edited by optimator; 29th April 2012 at 18:05. Reason: add second paragraph

Hi again,
    I apologise for my absence, but the project was paused for a long time, and by the other hand I had to keep my promise to Jay Laverty. He wanted the article for his magazine (SAM, March 2013, issue No:35).

So, the project is finished, and I tried for the best. I would like to Thank ALL of you, one by one, for your stunning help on this effort. Your support was truly remarkable and very important. Special regards to my friend, Elliott Smock. Without him, the project would never reach the end.

All the openings of the model were sealed in preparation for painting. The transparencies were masked using my own masks, carefully designed in illustrator. My Versa cam did the rest. I have chosen to represent a mk.V in Coastal command camouflage and markings, without ASW aerial antennas. I managed to get a pictured of the real one (MH-F, Z9217) to secure the accuracy of some details, such as the black colour on the legs, the code letters position and dimensions, the type of the crew door etc.

A typical, straightforward painting of the model was performed in the colours of Coastal Command for the war period. Xtracolor X005 & X025 for the topsides, as well as a mixing 2 shades of light grey and matt white for the fuselage and undersides were used. My intention was to give the stressed effect on the fuselage sides and wings under surfaces, the base colours were followed by airbrushed shades of grey and pure white. Obviously one can only get better with experience, as the white (and black also) is probably the most difficult colour to master. The roundels, code letters and serial numbers were painted with my own masks and decals (for the S/N), according to Whitley’s specifications.
    A wash of oil colours over the camouflaged upper surfaces was done at this point, using black and raw umber oil colours. Exhaust stains were sprayed on the wings using a matt brown/black mixture and a very light tan colour instead of light grey as usual. The entire model was sprayed with a light coat of Alclad Matt lacquer, and was left aside to dry. With the matt varnish dried so as to be treated safely, the weathering continued with the application of the inevitable oil leaks and stains that completed the appearance of the model as an in-service machine.

Gradually, the fuel vents, landing lights, Pitot tube, gun barrels, aerial mast and aerials, engine and propellers, were placed onto the model. I made the escape door (crew entrance) on the underside of the model. By pure luck, I got a clear picture showing the inner side of the door, showing clearly the “PARACHUTE EXIT” warnings. 2 ladders were made from evergreen strips. I decided to add one more thing. A portable bomb hoist hanging under a 250lib bomb.

The model is finished. This build was a very difficult undertaking for me, more than my abilities. There were many times -when problems arise-, justifying a decision to quit. But every time that happened, I was thinking all these fellows who helped me with information and stuff in order to build an accurate Whitley in 1/48 scale. I didn’t want to disappoint them. Neither all you, who spent few minutes to read this article.

Bibliography

* Roberts, R.N. The Whitley File. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians), 1986.
    * Wixey, Ken. Armstrong Whitworth Whitley (Warpaint Series No. 21). Denbigh East, Bletchley, UK: Hall Park Books, 1999.
    * The Whitley Boys: 4 Group Bomber Operations 1939 to 1940
    * Armstrong-Whitworth Aircraft since 1913
    * Pilot’s notes
    * Profile 153 - The Armstrong Whitworth Whitley

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank the following Gentlemen for their kind offer in helping me!

* Elliott Smock (Whitley_project). Elliott restores a Mk.V
    * Johan Bloemers.(http://www.crashsiteslimburg.nl)
    * Hendon Museum
    * David Briggs
    * IPMS MALTA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7149.JPG 
Views:	576 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	215539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7158.JPG 
Views:	383 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	215540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7163.JPG 
Views:	410 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	215541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7179.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	215542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7182.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	215543  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7185.JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	215544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7189.JPG 
Views:	630 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	215545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7191.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	215546  
    Last edited by Alex Kontiveis; 18th April 2013 at 07:03.

that is truly wonderful Alex, you have my admiration,

Mine too, it inspired me to build my own 1/32 version from scratch

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/...k-v-a-journey/

Cees

Alex your work defies words. It is the best I have ever seen without a shadow of a doubt.
    I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
    I take something for it.

Thank U guys, I appreciate your Kind words. I did my best. Happy end at last. Thank you for joining me on that journey! Cees comes next!

PS. Cees, you've got a PM

ive seen some dedication in my time, but this guy takes the biscuit!

AMAZING!!!!! You`re a very talented and patient man.......................now....how about a Stirling in the same scale ????
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

This build can only be described as a work of art. Amazing.
    Victor XL231 Blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
    Home of the V-force on the web: http://twittervforce.com/

Wow - I seem to be almost out of superlatives again...
    Place the model, sorry - work of art - onto a suitable diorama, add the right lighting, and it would be nigh impossible to tell if it was real or a model.

Outstanding, incredible piece of miniature engineering, and truly inspirational.

Many, many thanks, Alex, for sharing this fantastic build with us.

Don

Within striking distance of EGMH - as was!
    I have only just caught up with this thread so have been able to see the entire story from beginning to end in half-an-hour instead of 2/3 years. I cannot find the words to express my admiration for your skill and your perseverance, notwithstanding the problems you must face living where you do. I am so impressed!

I have no idea how but your talents should be put to wider use, somehow, and perhaps even as a means to a living. Perhaps others might have an idea how. In the meantime thank you so much for sharing this story with us and thereby for giving us so much pleasure.
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

as Charlie has just said to realise the full beauty of this project you have to follow it from the beginning, there's so much in the interior that isn't visible now

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    now....how about a Stirling in the same scale ????
    My dear friend... The Stirling is a fantastic project for all modellers! But a little Huge, don't you think so? I wish i could handle such a big model, but I do not have such a huge case to display it! I'd love to make it, it is much easier than the Whitley....but!!!

Anyway thank you for your Kind comments!!! I'm thinking of something smaller...maybe a Hampden!

Thank you all of you, my friends. You make me feel very Happy. Your Help was the most powerful weapon on this build!

We will look forward to ANYTHING you choose to model....did the Hampden have the same Elsan??
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    We will look forward to ANYTHING you choose to model....did the Hampden have the same Elsan??
    I have no idea yet... First I have to get a Kit... It is discintinued and as soon as I have a piece I will start making my plans for that!

Alex

It was only a joke!! Best of luck, Alex.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charliehunt View Post
    It was only a joke!! Best of luck, Alex.
    be my guest please!!!

Don't worry about!!! My Elsans became the No1 gossip comment around the modelling forums!!! I love it!!!

...I like it..and your sense of humour!!
    Charlie

let's hope you manage to get a Hampden kit, really though anything would be be good

This is an awesome model !
    If it looks good, it will fly good !
    -Bill Lear

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Well done Alex - a real masterpice and doublely difficult to do to a high standard as there is very little available information. This is a great acheivement! I would love to see you make a Hampden next!

Thumbs up

amazing piece of work, so good to see some life in this part of the forum as well ! Thanks for sharing.
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

Τhank U Gentlemen. Your words are very Kind. I'm glad you like it. I didn't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitley_Project View Post
    Well done Alex - a real masterpice and doublely difficult to do to a high standard as there is very little available information. This is a great acheivement! I would love to see you make a Hampden next!
    Hi Elliott,
    So nice to hear U again. Thanks for sharing this comment with me. I wouldn't have done it, without your precious help. Your info were very valuable. This build is devoted to U. You deserve it.
    Lets hope that I will find a Hampden's kit. No signs at the moment. I'm studying that bird already. I' m really excited with its interior structure. So many levels... I can not imagine my self...moving into this narrow machine.

Key forum will be my valuable guide on this again.

Thread Information