Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple of olduns

Photo of Hermes G-ALDG referred to by Avion Ancien which was used as a cabin trainer at Gatwick in the 1960s. It is now at Duxford, it would be good if they could put a tail on it even if it is fibre glass or plywood ! Not sure what happened the tail between Gatwick and Duxford maybe somebody here knows the tale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few real "oldies" some Dragon Rapides all taken in Dublin in the 1960s
    Last edited by Argonaut; 30th September 2012 at 09:13.

Here's a couple taken at Booker in the early 1970's
    Last edited by Banupa; 4th October 2012 at 13:28.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

A few years ago, I took one of the pleasure flights on board a Rapide based at Duxford. It was a beautiful aircraft inside and out. The interior featured leather seats and even these little cords adjacent to each seat to help you to lower yourself into your seat with a little dignity! One of my fellow passengers described the Rapide as a 'Gentlemans Aerial Carriage' a very apt description I think
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Rapides at Heathrow

Island Air Services flew joyrides from Heathrow in the Fifties with their own Rapides....G-AGZO, here, was hired from Marshalls of Cambridge (central area ground enclosure, Brownie 127 camera, ca.1956

Cheating a little on these 2, while the subjects are old, they were taken in 2005. The French one in Le Bourget and the Dutch in Sosterberg. Fans of the Dragon will be glad to hear that EI-ABI is back flying.
    Last edited by Argonaut; 30th September 2012 at 09:13.

Apolgies for the picture quality. G-AGSH at, I think, Croydon. Goodness knows when!

That BEA livery really suited the Rapide, Banupa.
    Y.N.W.A

Pity Olympic teams this year will not be travelling by the kind of transport they did in 1964. G-ASTW of Lloyd International at Gatwick in 1964. The Swiss team travelled in style. The sticker under the cockpit window was the ESSO " I have a tiger in my tank" tag of the day.

These two copies have been worked somewhat to improve the quality since first posting at the beginning of the thread.. ..
    Free-loaders paradise that's the place for me.
    That land in Valhalla where everything is free.

I thought that I could see that the Caravelle pictured, had Sterling ancestry.

Having viewed one of there old ships I now see your point of view.

You can if you look into the tail section,start to see the S in out line

painted over.Think maybe that's just me this time though.Thank's anyway

for pointing that out..JB

A couple more old slides with a bit more photo shop work done on them.The 727 was owned by Malcolm Forbes and the FM was supposed to highlight the Forbes Magazine.The aircraft was called,"Capitalist Tool" and the green was chosen to represent the colour of money.Formerly a Braniff machine with reg.,N7294.

I thought I would add one more shot with G-BWWT in it to show it's age,as we thought it was new when it came to Norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by The"Eh"Team View Post
    Having viewed one of there old ships I now see your point of view.

You can if you look into the tail section,start to see the S in out line

painted over.Think maybe that's just me this time though.Thank's anyway

for pointing that out..JB
    No worries. There was a Spanish airline at one time called TAE, which also operated a Caravelle leased from Sterling. Back in the early 70s, Sterling operated a subsidiary known as Sterling Fillipinas, their spelling not mine. The livery was virtually unaltered from the parent co, except for an 'F' on the fin iso the letter 'S', modified titles of course.

MSR777..Thanks for that detailed insight on the paint job.Sometimes we don't appreciate the old internet enough,as that snippet may have not been in the public domain....CheersJB

I remember TAE. I believe they had a DC6 prior to the Caravelle. I saw their SE210 replacement retired at Palma when I was on holiday there in the early 1980s.

I believe the Caravelle used the same red livery as this Dc8 jet.

Last one before lights out.Last user of the 1_11 in the UK.

Forbes had a gold painted DC-9 in the 70s briefly before the 727 and a Convair 580 before that in the 60s and 70s , all registered N60FM
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Forbe...34828d880fd3da

There's an interesting Spanish photosite with a lot of rare types...also a CV990 graveyard
    http://www.aviationcorner.net/show_photo.asp?id=181796

Thanks longshot for adding the links and putting in the extra bit of info into the Forbes past history with aircraft..cheers

London Heathrow from FL 120 in January 1966

This is pretty interesting. It shows Runway 33 (left) apparently active with runway approach lighting at both ends. I see the Juliet to Lima stands are built in 1965 and they are in the process of building the Cargo Area.

I suspect this image was taken by an Ordnance Survey mapping aeroplane (like the Fairey Survey DC3s at White Waltham at that time) due to the direct-down looking view and that it was taken at 120, which is the right height for mapping. This was airway green one though and a lot of mid-level traffic would probably be using it at that altitude.
    You can also see the old peri-track at the western boundary even though it was extended around the runway 10R takeoff extension in the photo.

Layout in 1965
    Last edited by VeeOne; 9th May 2012 at 01:57.

Approaches to Runway 7, passed right over my house. It wasn't used much, but aircraft using it severely upset my 12" black & white TV's signal. with an early Doctor Who like wavey picture effect...

Mick, I remember the Forbes 580 at Heathrow. That was another "Capitalist Tool".
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

Looks like a few aircraft parked on 33L (Runway No6) in the aerial photo. I don't remember it being used but it was used back around 1949 (B-29 landing over the A4 at Harmondsworth for 13R (No6))
    http://www.skyport-heathrow.co.uk/cg...16&search=B-29

CV-580 N60FM in Malcolm Nason's shot http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/5391534304/

Two more

Couple more to keep it going.Both from Newcastle late 80s or very early 90s.Nostalgic anyway..

Here's a couple of Daks.
    Last edited by Banupa; 4th October 2012 at 13:29.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

Nice couple of Daks Banupa, here are 5 ex Spanish Air Force Daks in Blackbushe in the late 1970s.
    Last edited by Argonaut; 16th August 2012 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
    Nice couple of Daks Banupa, here are 5 ex Spanish Air Force Daks in Blackbushe in the late 1970s.
    Do I take it these C-47s were on delivery to the Spanish Air Force at this time?

I recall the 1970s were interesting at Blackbushe. I recall seeing other Spanish Air Force types like the Casa Heinkel 1-11s and some Junkers 52s.
    Last edited by VeeOne; 23rd May 2012 at 23:48.

Court Line colours outside and inside

Court Line Pink One Eleven jet is pretty on the outside...

But as much as I love this colour i am not sure it should be the same inside...

[QUOTE=VeeOne;1894263]Court Line Pink One Eleven jet is pretty on the outside...

Ah, Halcyon Bay, the first jet powered airliner I ever flew on, happy (if noisy) days

Quote Originally Posted by VeeOne View Post
    Do I take it these C-47s were on delivery to the Spanish Air Force at this time?

I recall the 1970s were interesting at Blackbushe. I recall seeing other Spanish Air Force types like the Casa Heinkel 1-11s and some Junkers 52s.
    No, they were going the other way! Doug Arnold bought up 1/2 of the Spanish Airforce to sell on, sometimes after being tarted up, whilst other stuff was just moved on still with the Spanish markings showing. He didn't just buy from the Spaniards, but there were Indian Spitfires, American B-25's, T-28's from Algeria, I think and the German Sea Fury target tugs. I was fortunate enough to be there when 2 of them arrived. Both were bright red and rather smokey as they taxied in, folding their wings on the way. At this time, no one realised that these Sea Fury's still existed, let alone were airworthy, so it was a surreal experience for me.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

my child hood memorys flooding back with court pic
    kinky apron though!!!!!:diablo:

Thread Information