Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 750 of 1028

Thread: Couple of olduns

  1. #721
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,061
    I loved the good old days of hybrid and leased 737's between all the charter carriers. Went on many BY 732's in various guises including a half painted BY one.

  2. #722
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicester.
    Posts
    547

    Yes it's EMA.

    Hi all

    Yes the BMA 707 is at East midlands. The photo was taken from a grass bank which was to the right (looking from the car park) of the Terminal building. I must have spent hundreds of hours sat in that same spot when I was a kid.

    I would date it as mid 1970's at a guess, I stopped sitting there in 1976, when I moved the other side of the fence and trained as an aircraft fitter at Field's. I then spent as many hours the other side on Argosy's, Herald's and Viscount's.

    I loved that old BMA livery, and still think it was one of the best on the 707 and One- Eleven.

    Great days.
    Leicester Aviation Restoration Workshop.

  3. #723
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214
    Boeing revived the 727 and 737 programs in the early seventies with ADV variants (more power, more payload/range) according to an 'Air and Space' mag article at the end of the seventies Unducted Fans were thought to be the next 'thing' and the CFM56 re-engined 737 (now the '737 classic') was only expected to sell a few hundred until Unducted Fan types took over

    VeeOne's thread on the 737-100 and -200 'Initial Model' was fun
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=109343

    Quote Originally Posted by garryrussell View Post
    So slow to sell, at one point Boeing considered abandoning the type
    Last edited by longshot; 21st March 2012 at 20:47.

  4. #724
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    3,020
    As a novice traffic officer, the first load control qualification that I got was for Braathens Boeing 737, later this also covered their 767s as well. Nice crews I seem to remember.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

  5. #725
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    270
    In that Braathens 737 photo there are also some RAF Dominies on the left of the photo. The only permanent Nimrod MR bases were Kinloss, St. Mawgan and Luqa, as far as I know. Could it be the latter or is it too green for that? By the way, LN-SUP was also an early 737, being line number 128 and delivered in January 1969.

  6. #726
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritch & Max View Post
    Hi all

    Yes the BMA 707 is at East midlands. The photo was taken from a grass bank which was to the right (looking from the car park) of the Terminal building. I must have spent hundreds of hours sat in that same spot when I was a kid.

    I would date it as mid 1970's at a guess, I stopped sitting there in 1976, when I moved the other side of the fence and trained as an aircraft fitter at Field's. I then spent as many hours the other side on Argosy's, Herald's and Viscount's.

    I loved that old BMA livery, and still think it was one of the best on the 707 and One- Eleven.

    Great days.
    Ah, thanks for that. The image was taken off of a slide and was one of my Dad's, taken, no doubt, on some dodgy Russian camera (probably his trusty Zenit-E). I'm not sure what he was doing at EMA but as he was a bit of a master of getting the cheapest package holiday possible (irrespective of airport) no doubt he was off somewhere sunny!

  7. #727
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,022
    I favoured the classic Zorki camera personally...
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

  8. #728
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    176
    Another shot from Luton, this time Vickers Vanguard G-AYFN of Invicta Airlines. Which airline used this colour scheme?


  9. #729
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214
    I suspect it was ex Air Trader (a Swedish Company) see #584 in
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...105156&page=20

    also
    http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

    [QUOTE=nigelrob;1870977]Another shot from Luton, this time Vickers Vanguard G-AYFN of Invicta Airlines. Which airline used this colour scheme?
    Last edited by longshot; 22nd March 2012 at 22:59.

  10. #730
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214

    Lufthansa Boeing 737-130 with short engine nacelles

    Steve Aubury has a nice shot of D-ABEA on abpic at Heathrow in 1969 with, I think, D-ABEB behind

    http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1338337/

  11. #731
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by by738 View Post
    I loved the good old days of hybrid and leased 737's between all the charter carriers. Went on many BY 732's in various guises including a half painted BY one.
    Good evening,

    Here are two hybrid Transavia aircraft.

    1. PH-TSA: Boeing 737-2A3, in Pluna colours; Schiphol May 30th, 1984


    2. PH-TVC: Boeing 737-2K2, in Markair colours; Schiphol, August 11th, 1984


    Kind regards,

    Peter

  12. #732
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    3,020
    Nice shots Peter. Is that the nose of the Surinam DC8 in the background of the first pic? I quite often see their A340 'contrailing' over my house, en route home I assume.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

  13. #733
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214
    When did the observation decks at Schiphol finally close to the public, Peter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Zeeuw View Post
    Good evening,

    Here are two hybrid Transavia aircraft.

    1. PH-TSA: Boeing 737-2A3, in Pluna colours; Schiphol May 30th, 1984

    2. PH-TVC: Boeing 737-2K2, in Markair colours; Schiphol, August 11th, 1984

    Kind regards,

    Peter

  14. #734
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    110
    Good afternoon,

    MSR777, the DC8 in the background is N1809E, a DC-8-62. It had Surinam Airways colours, but small Arrow Air titles. It was leased by Surinam Airways to fly the Paramaribo route.

    Longshot, the observation deck at Schiphol is still open and it is even free of charge at the moment, the ticket machines don't operate. During the wintertime it is open from 9am till 5pm and in the summer period from 7am till 8pm.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,

    Peter

  15. #735
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    3,020
    Thanks for the info Peter.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

  16. #736
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214

    Bunnies meet Hefner's DC-9 at Heathrow South...youtube

    The notes say 1969 but I thought the 'Big Bunny' a DC-9-32 with long range tanks first visited in 1970....the sharp-eyed will note Fields hangar and the 1955 Control Tower...it's short
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nxU...eature=related

    it's from
    http://www.explayboybunnies.com/foru...74ae03d53bcd10

  17. #737
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,022
    What this one you mean?
    Last edited by Banupa; 4th October 2012 at 13:28.
    Lee
    Cap'n Plug
    www.afac.co.uk

  18. #738
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214
    Good shot, Lee!...That's where I photographed it, too between Field's and Air-India on LHR South
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...cd9d7ddcf0c08d

    Was the 1970 visit the first or did it visit in 1969?

    Key forum's been here before with a colour photo and links....
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...t=playboy+DC-9

  19. #739
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    998
    I hope this one count's and was taken late 80s going into Hull
    Free-loaders paradise that's the place for me.
    That land in Valhalla where everything is free.

  20. #740
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    196
    A Viking with an identity crisis at Luton c.1963/4. being used as a garage for motorcycle and sidecar !!
    Last edited by Argonaut; 30th September 2012 at 09:13.

  21. #741
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wiltshire, England
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Good shot, Lee!...That's where I photographed it, too between Field's and Air-India on LHR South
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...cd9d7ddcf0c08d

    Was the 1970 visit the first or did it visit in 1969?

    Key forum's been here before with a colour photo and links....
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...t=playboy+DC-9
    This was one of the first CIA flights to the Middle East taking bunny rabbits to a place where they could be ticked almost to death in a vain attempt to find where the easter eggs were hidden. The bunnies were later transfered to Guantanimo Bay for cooking. It was indeed a black day for bunnies everywhere! Happy Easter, folks! (And I mean that most irreligiously.)

  22. #742
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
    A Viking with an identity crisis at Luton c.1963/4. being used as a garage for motorcycle and sidecar !!
    It's odd that the reistration under the wing is G-AHPB whereas on the fin it is G-AJBT. I guess that 'BT has been fitted with 'PB's wings but the aircraft looks derelict!

  23. #743
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,214
    Interesting theory, VeeOne!!

    One of the links suggests the Bunny Dc-9 took part in the Vietnamese orphan airlift...I wonder if it actually went to Saigon?
    http://www.explayboybunnies.com/phot...aron/jbs5.html

    The World Airways 727 newsreel from Da Nang in the airlift was memorable
    http://vimeo.com/8649603

    and the long Fall of Saigon newsreel with Hueys going overboard
    http://vimeo.com/8634599

    Quote Originally Posted by VeeOne View Post
    This was one of the first CIA flights to the Middle East taking bunny rabbits to a place where they could be ticked almost to death in a vain attempt to find where the easter eggs were hidden. The bunnies were later transfered to Guantanimo Bay for cooking. It was indeed a black day for bunnies everywhere! Happy Easter, folks! (And I mean that most irreligiously.)
    Last edited by longshot; 7th April 2012 at 12:24.

  24. #744
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wiltshire, England
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Interesting theory, VeeOne!!

    One of the links suggests the Bunny Dc-9 took part in the Vietnamese orphan airlift...I wonder if it actually went to Saigon?
    http://www.explayboybunnies.com/phot...aron/jbs5.html

    The World Airways 727 newsreel from Da Nang in the airlift was memorable
    http://vimeo.com/8649603

    and the long Fall of Saigon newsreel with Hueys going overboard
    http://vimeo.com/8634599
    Wasn't this the time when the worst single-aircraft passenger loss happened, when a Lockheed C5A packed full of Vietnamese sitting on the aircraft's floor (over 500) went down? That must have been just an awful experience.

    I remember the videos you mention.

  25. #745
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    308
    just out of interest and this seemed like place to get an answer
    what was the spike on the top/front of B707s for?

  26. #746
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    270
    It is a HF radio antenna. US domestic aircraft (e.g. some TWA and American aircraft) did not have the spike as they didn't require HF. It could be retrofitted, though.

  27. #747
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    3,020
    I think I'm right in that the early BOAC Conway 707s also had one on the starboard wingtip.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

  28. #748
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    196
    Two from June 1962 in Dublin D-ALID L1049G Super Constellation and D-ALAN L-1649 Starliner of Lufthansa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-ALAN L-1649.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	204709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-ALID L1049G.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	204710  

  29. #749
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The wild west of France!
    Posts
    4,209
    I don't normally lurk in these parts but I've enjoyed spending this afternoon lazily leafing through the nineteen pages of this thread.

    In the dim, distant past, I was a regular habitué of Gatwick - just a bicycle ride up the road when I lived in Crawley. That was in the days when they had a Viking for fire practice and you could cycle up the internal service road past the Hermes cabin trainer. But what I didn't have was a camera. So maybe I've already disappointed a few.

    Anyhow, these days I live far from Gatwick and tend only to photograph light aircraft. But occasionally, the heavier end of the scale attracts my attention. But it's not always on aerodromes. Hence the following images of Caravelle F-BHRI. Maybe better that it is the annexe to a nightclub rather than having succumbed to the scrapman's torch. But how are the mighty fallen!



    Last edited by avion ancien; 15th April 2012 at 15:38. Reason: Spelling!

  30. #750
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    3,020
    Although saved from the scrapman, its still a sad sight to see such a once graceful bird, well and truly grounded. I have always loved the Caravelle, a design that could only have been dreamt up by the French. Thanks for the images all the same.
    "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES