Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Monthly and Flypast - Editors move on!

Aeroplane Monthly and Flypast - Editors move on!

I hope the Mods will permit these words of thanks to Ken Ellis & Michael Oakey.

Michael, I'm saddened to hear that you're stepping down as Editor of Aeroplane Monthly. I've really enjoyed the magazine over the years and found the article on your own personal highlights fascinating and poignant. I think my own personal favourite piece was on Black 6 by Chris Starr, which I still read when I want a reminder of that golden age in which she flew.

Ken: Thank you. I'm sure you're proud of the body of work created under your captaincy. Like many of us, my bookcase groans under the weight of those volumes (have you ever tried reading them in bed?!), but 'there's gold in them there issues'. My favourite article: The Stirling 'gust lock fitted' test flight (with the Irish Navvy on board) that ended with two uninjured occupants and a Stirling with no wings. I wish I could find it!

Well done gentlemen, take a break and enjoy those past issues!
    Last edited by Seafuryfan; 1st November 2010 at 19:30. Reason: Post No2: Ken's going as well!

In order to keep some balance on the forum, it will also be noted that Ken Ellis, Editor of Flypast has also stood down from the editors chair, although he states that he will continue as a contributing editor for a while yet.

Sea Fury Fans addition duly noted and acknowledged!!

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce; 2nd November 2010 at 12:21.

Thanks to both for a great job over the years (This was Ken's second spell in the hot seat, wasn't it?)

Any word on replacements?
    Last edited by DaveF68; 1st November 2010 at 18:55.

all change but thanks to both for their hard work over the years.
    Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Quote Originally Posted by inkworm View Post
    All change but thanks to both for their hard work over the years.
    Hear, hear!

I have read both mags over the years and currently subscribe to Aeroplane Monthly. As others have said both editors have produced some great reading material and deserve our thanks for their efforts.
    I was a bit surprised to get a letter a few days ago stating that Aeroplane Monthly has been taken over by a new publisher and maybe this is part of the reason that Micheal has stood down.
    Let's hope that the changes mean that both mags continue to be as good as they have been in the past.

I believe that Nigel Price is taking over at FlyPast!

Not sure about Aeroplane!
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    “The Friendly Accredited Aviation Museum!”

Quote Originally Posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
    I believe that Nigel Price is taking over at FlyPast!

Not sure about Aeroplane!
    Aeroplane has been sold by IPC to Kelsey Publishing - the publishers of Classic Military Vehicles amongst other titles
    jeepman

Sorry for any mix-up re-Aeroplane - I meant to say I wasn't sure who the new editor is!!
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    “The Friendly Accredited Aviation Museum!”

Both are indeed mighty organs, and each represents a hugely impressive body of work, assembled over many years.

However, it is my personal opinion that the Key Historic Forum is now more significant, relevant, and engaging than its 'parent' publication, and we are all editors now !

Well done, Michael, and farewell for now. I have enjoyed working with you over the years and look forward to working with your successor and team.
    http://andysaunders.tumblr.com/

Trouble is, when the fat lady sings, it might signal a Da Capo moment...

Like, I suspect, a lot of people here, I read both. We are fortunate to have two such fine publications available in this country, although in a way it is a shame they are so similar, and that there is inevitably so much duplication.

As one who inspects our shrinking budget regularly, I fear there is going to have to be a decision made !

You don't suppose they are swapping j...... No. No surely not.

Seriously though, a fulfilling but very demanding job.

Well done and good luck to Mick and Ken.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

I subscribe to Aeroplane, and have done for years, and buy Fly Past most months and thoroughly enjoy the diversity of coverage in each, accepting a degree of duplication. I hope the new editors keep up the excellent standard.
    What really matters is what you do with what you have.

SKY HIGH

It's a sad business when such a well-known title effectively folds and more-so when the much-respected Editor leaves too. I hope the new publisher of Aeroplane maintains standards but from the minute I heard of this news I got a feeling that perhaps we were about to witness another retrograde step...

As for Flypast, I guess Key will ensure that there are no significant changes even with the arrival of a new Editor.

As a Flypast Subscriber who has every copy since its launch 30yrs ago! thank you Ken and i know it will remain at the top of the league.
    Events Manager/Crew For "Antonov Kilo Fox" WWW.AN2CLUB.INFO Follow us on Twitter @An2Club

I'm sure Ken stepped up from deputy at some point in the past, no doubt it will carry on in safe hands, be interesting to see what happens to Aeroplane, they have both changed in the 20 odd years since I first read them and maybe this will be a good reason for another overhaul.
    Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Ken's a name from my distant past. I can vaguely remember us spending an afternoon in the back of a Dominie, bumbling round the old V-Bomber low level route... let's see, that must be about 25-30 years ago? Eek!

I believe the editor's position at any of these magazines is extremely high pressure - Air Forces Monthly must be the most difficult to run. It's an incessant routine that probably destroys family life and has these chaps withdrawing from their industry to get away from the attention. There's also a great deal of pressure from reduced retail copy sales with the tough economy and I would imagine it having a big effect on circulation, which is how editors tend to measure themselves. These fellows need a deserved break every few years.

I subscribe to Aeroplane and Fly Past and sometimes a magazine needs to take a fresh approach to its content.
    Last edited by Moreorless; 1st November 2010 at 20:28. Reason: mistake corrected

Ken is far from leaving FlyPast, and in Nigel Price he has a very worthy successor. Fear not!

I'd just like to add my sincere thanks to both men for the wonderful work they've done over the years. Like many other posters, I buy both mags every month and enjoy them thoroughly.

Much happiness to both in the knowledge of a job well done (and appreciated).

Thanks both to Michael and Ken. I have subscribed to both publications for many years and have enjoyed many hours reading them.

West of the Jordan, East of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Another vote of thanks to both departing editors,I've been with you for years...in fact both publications from issue 1.

Good luck in your future projects.

Sorry to be a dissenter, but I stopped buying Aeroplane Monthly quite early on in Michael Oakley's reign. The mag changed from being what I wanted it to be - which is was it was - to a glossy coffee table mag.

Sorry if this offends

Regards

Thank you Ken for steering Flypast so adroitly over the years (and I hope you keep coming to Gransden to do your bit).. Flypast was and remains the common thread between so many of us on here. Among the younger ones, Flypast is possibly to blame for us even being on here!
    Last edited by Beermat; 2nd November 2010 at 16:03.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Sorry to be a dissenter, but I stopped buying Aeroplane Monthly quite early on in Michael Oakley's reign. The mag changed from being what I wanted it to be - which is was it was - to a glossy coffee table mag.

Sorry if this offends

Regards
    I to dislike the Aeroplane Monthly the way it became under Michael Oakley editorship. I now hope it gets better.

Dave

I first bought Aeroplane Monthly in the 70's around the time when it was relaunched. It seemed to contain a lot more articles about civilian light aircraft in those days and that was the main reason I bought it.
    I also bought Flypast regularly for a long time but the emphasis there seemed to be on covering current museums and mainly military history which, to me, wasn't so appealing.
    I stopped buying any of the mags in the 80's and only started a subscription to AM after being accosted by a young lady at Old Warden who offered me a 1/72 Corgi Hurricane for free if I took out a subscription. Ironically I knew the Hurricane that AM was givng away was virtually unobtainable as Corgi had sold out so I took it in to the model shop where I was working and sold it more than covering my first years subscription.
    I must admit I have thought about cancelling many times as the mag doesn't have the same appeal now that there is little about civili light aircraft in there but I don't think Flypast caters for my specific interest very much either and if I don't buy either of them I will have nothing to read at all.
    I do appreciate that the reason for mainly military content is because that seems to be the biggest interest among enthusiasts and at the end of the day all mags have to target the bulk of their content at their main readership.

Wouldn't Pilot meet your needs?
    What really matters is what you do with what you have.

SKY HIGH

To be correct it has not been "Aeroplane Monthly" for some time! It changed to "Aeroplane"
    I for one enjoy both publications and hope they both flurish in these cash strapped times as im sure they will under new captains.
    I wish Mike and Ken all the best in their new ventures and thank them for all their hard work in producing excellent mags. I know Ken will still be contributing to "Flypast" and hope he will still be on the mike at Sywell 2012.
    "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

I would not suggest for one moment that one should stop subscribing to or reading the excellent publications that, in my view, FlyPast and Aeroplane both are. However, for those with a specific interest in military aviation history (with a UK link) then "Britain at War" magazine is certainly worth a look.
    http://andysaunders.tumblr.com/

Trouble is, when the fat lady sings, it might signal a Da Capo moment...

Thread Information