Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: UK/Taiwan new bilateral = MAN passenger route possibilty

UK/Taiwan new bilateral = MAN passenger route possibilty

Well bit of a shocker with the the UK and Taiwan havinge eased restrictions so that it's now 14 passenger flights per week between London and Taiwan and the introduction of 7 weekly passenger flights betwen Manchester and Taiwan.

Cargo routes have also been looked at with Manchester to Taiwan increased from 3 weekly to 10 weekly with 5th Freedom rights.

All this is in place to run from the summer timetable next year.
    Comprehensive MAN movements? Click here.

First flight: BE371 EXT-MAN 03/08/07 on G-JEDM.

Hi Dave, I can never get your link to work
    Any idea of the operator for these new routes?
    Darren

EVA Air have been the airline providing daily flights from London to Taipei (via Bangkok) for some time now, and China Airlines came along not too long ago, introducing a a daily flight direct to Taipei.

Taiwan aside, Thailand is getting more and more popular these days, and I think EVA Air could make the route work, providing they did the usual stop in Bangkok. If seats for Taipei couldn't be filled, I don't imagine they would struggle too much to fill seats on a direct Bangkok service - something only available at the moment by stopping off somewhere on the way.
    Last edited by T5; 7th October 2010 at 23:21.
    Michael

Darren, my site's been on the backburner unfortunately. But I'll be looking to restart something soonish with a mix of news and movements. Plus the odd photo that I'm willing to inflict on viewers!

Think the freight runs may see Eva Air and their MD11s whilst the pax may be China Airlines A340s. Either airline, though, would open a range of Asian destinations (and provide another alternative to getting Australia?)

I wouldn't get too excited about seeing passenger services from Manchester to Taipei in the near future. All that has happened is the bilateral agreement has been amended, this is standard practice, and indeed there are many routes which could be served from Manchester according to the bilaterals, but aren't, and indeed are unlikely to be so in the near future.

I think there is more prospect of new freight services.

Apparently these services are to be publically launched by the airlines within the next month... and both airlines have reportedly stated they want to increase services to the UK to meet demand.

I don't see a link to show your source. As far as I am aware it is nothing more than an updating of the bilaterals, and quite often once LHR frequencies are stepped up, it is common practice to add Manchester to the bilateral. This doesn't normally bring about any services though, just the option for the future. Happy to be corrected, but I haven't seen any evidence that anyone actually wants to operate passenger services on MAN-TPE. Besides, these things should always be taken with a touch of caution as on many many occasions airlines don't deliver things they say they'd like to operate. I'm relatively young, but after only a few years in my job, I have realised that you should never 'absolutely' expect a route until the wheels hit the deck!

Having seen too many rumours about prospective routes, I'm placing great store on who is revealing the story. In this instance, the link is a source who's been pretty much on the mark for the last couple of year regarding MAN route development. Where they get the info from is through other contact. Yes, it's the 'friend of a friend' style hence my initial sentence.

Who's thinking of just MAN-TPE? Whilst NZ and CX are dithering about linking MAN & HKG, we've got potential for that link to come through this way. Plus through routes to other destinations. Or even if they don't want to operate that way, with 5th freedom along the way and BKK according to MAN worth 100k passengers a year, I would imagine the volume (and perhaps the yield seeing that it's picking up) to BKK should see reasonable performance with the icing on the cake being the cargo going the whole route.

To be fair to David, I've heard a similar story from a source who has been accurate up to now where new services (and reductions to existing services) are concerned.

However, like rdc1000, my policy is to believe it when the wheels touch the concrete .

Quote Originally Posted by rdc1000 View Post
    I don't see a link to show your source. As far as I am aware it is nothing more than an updating of the bilaterals, and quite often once LHR frequencies are stepped up, it is common practice to add Manchester to the bilateral. This doesn't normally bring about any services though, just the option for the future. Happy to be corrected, but I haven't seen any evidence that anyone actually wants to operate passenger services on MAN-TPE. Besides, these things should always be taken with a touch of caution as on many many occasions airlines don't deliver things they say they'd like to operate. I'm relatively young, but after only a few years in my job, I have realised that you should never 'absolutely' expect a route until the wheels hit the deck!
    here is a link.

http://focustaiwan.tw/SearchNews/doD...2&q=manchester

Its still all ifs and maybes, but certainly positive.
    Darren

Well there's a provisional schedule that's been mentioned now, 4 weekly A340s by CI with times similar to those used by EK in the evening. Now if they really are going for a MAN passenger launch, they'd be looking to do an announcement in the next month or so as that would allow them to advertise the route to maximum effect prior to the start of the service. So shall we say if all is quiet by the middle of November, then it's a no-go?

Thread Information