Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: F-86 Crash 1952

F-86 Crash 1952

I'm trying to check the details of an F-86 crash but am not having much luck on the net and I'm hoping someone will be able to help. The aircraft was an F-86 of the 116th FIS out of RAF Shepherds Grove. I have written below the account of the crash as told me by one of the pilots fellow flyers.

"All was not fun and games however. We had a sad time when Capt Ray Allison (116th Sqdn Flying Safety Officer, Outstanding pilot and friend to all) Flew over to a RAF Station west of Cambridge ( Boscome Down ?) for a static display of the F-86 one weekend.1952. When departing Sunday afternoon he made a high speed pass down the runway ,did a roll and crashed. Really hit all of us hard. It wasn't until Chuck Yaeger 's book published in 1985, stated that Chucks controls locked while on a high speed pass doing a roll. He let off the G's, pushed up the nose and the ailerons unlocked .Seems a bolt on the aileron cylinder was installed upside down during manufacturing. Contrary to instructions on how to insert the bolt. We just couldn't believe that a excellent pilot like Ray would make a "pilot error" mistake that it had to be something else. And there it was ! 33 years later."

It clearly wasn't Boscombe. Any ideas anyone, or perhaps the pilots memory is playing tricks! It was a long time ago!

May I suggest Duxford, which was a Fighter Command station then, or possibly Alconbury which was an American base.

Scamble US Military Mishapps 1950 to 1999 has a F-84E (no Serial) - Skyblazers, RAF Manston, UK during display, pilot killed 21 May 1952

Capt. John P. O'Brien (ALT/SOLO) Killed after engine explosion during a low altitude pass.....

Ignore though just realied it is a Thunderjet not Sabre : Doh!!!
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 2nd August 2010 at 10:28.
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Can probably discount Duxford. My father lived in or around here all his life and of all the incidents that he related to me i don't recall one about an F-86.
    Wyvern & Sturgeon parts projects
    Bassingbourn Tower Museum Volunteer

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Thanks,
    I've already tried Duxford and drawn a blank, and Alconbury. This was definitely an F-86A based at the Grove; but, as I said time plays tricks with the memory; but someone may just have the details.

I think it was 1953!!!

10th March 1953

530310 ALLISON, RAYMOND W. F-86A 49-1097 MARKET LAVINGTON 3 MI SW, UK 81 HIT TERRAIN IN ROLL

Market Lavington is to the north of Boscombe Down and south of Devizes. 49-1097 belonged to the 81st FIW Bentwaters ,116th Fighter Interceptor Squadron based at Shepherds Grove.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Thank you very much for the help. Mystery solved!

F-86 crash onto MQs at RAF Shepherds Grove 1950s

Whist visiting the USAF tobacco house at RAF Shepherds Grove the security staff mentioned a pair of the bungalows had been demolished back in the 1950s when an F-86 had crashed into then and apparently a young lad who was in the house was killed. Does anyone any further information of this.

23/2/52 F-86A 48-269 116 FS 81FW pilot Eugene Beers

17/3/53or55 F-86A 49-1179 78 FS 81FW pilot Gilbert Leimbach

27/10/54 F-86A 48-316 92FS 81FW pilot William Carney

All these accidents occurred at RAF Shepherds Grove, no further details available.

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post

17/3/53or55 F-86A 49-1179 78 FS 81FW pilot Gilbert Leimbach

There were a number of accidents to F-86's at Shepherds Grove oin the 1950's however I can't find the actual incident refered to. However to clear up the above entry. This i two separate incidents

17/3/53 F-86A 49-1179 78 FS 81FW pilot Gilbert Leimbach location Shepards Grove

16/3/55 F-84F 52-6453 78FBS pilot Gilbert Leimbach location Shepards Grove

Same pilot different aircraft type and 2 years and 1 day apart!

The date was 22nd August 1962 and the aircraft was a F-100D Super Sabre 55-2784 (the one on display at Mountain Home AFB ID with this ID is actually 54-1748) of the 48th TFW/494th TFS. It crashed into base housing (known as the Tobacco Houses) at RAF Shepherds Grove which was being used by personnel from other USAF bases nearby. USAAF had left Shepherds Grove in 1959

The house was being used by 1st Lt David A Staver who had an act of congress enacted in his name as he lost all his processions in the crash but could only claim a maximum $5,000 at the time which was not enough to cover his losses. House was destroyed.

Lt's Staver pregant wife Barbara was at home at the time with their one year old infant son Bill, she got them both out just in time when the housepainter warned her that a plane was about to crash into the house. It is the housepainter who was killed in this incident he was Peter Hammond and was aged '26'. Mrs Staver and her sone only sustained small scratches

Reading through other references Peter Hammonds age is said to be '20' (according to Times he was actually 19 and was from Hepworth) and he actually died after the accident, while investigating the crash and after helpin mrs Staver and her son to escape. But I think they are confusing this with teh actions of Mr Peter Rush who received the US Air Force Exceptional Service Medal for her rescue

The pilot was 1st Lt John E Malone aged 22 bailed out after the aircraft developed engine trouble.

The Times Thursday, Aug 23, 1962 has more info and a picture of the crashed aircraft and destroyed bungalows

Destoyed three bungalows and killed one of several men who were painting them

Three childern in another bungalow escaped and third unoccupied

The fighter struck the ground behind the bungalow, bounced over the top of two of them, setting them
    alight and exploded on the other side'

re: Three childern in another bungalow escaped (this was being used by Captain Richardson and his wife) - The children
    were Angela aged 13, Peggy aged 11 and Erin aged 5 months. At the time Captain Richardson was visiting his
    wife in hospital

see

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...q=staver&hl=en

and here for a picture of the Barbara Staver and her son

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...q=staver&hl=en

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=j...CA&redir_esc=y
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 17th February 2012 at 13:41.

It's a bit late for lindoug, but rogcoll might be interested in this:

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/reports.htm

You can request a crash report from them, and this is the sort of thing you get:

http://www.rafwethersfield.com/F100Fcrash.htm

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Thanks Paul for all the additional help good research little known about.

F100 Super sabre crash RAF Shepherds Grove August 1962

Paul Your research and information are greatly appreciated and clarifies the gossip that abounds these ex USAF tobacco houses at Stanton. The houses are under security as the USAF have vacated them but the night guards said that rumours abound about a ghost of the poor young house painter that was killed in the incident. The houses are to go the same way as the other tobacco houses at RAF Sculthorpe. Adrian your help is appreciated as well.
    Roger

Thread Information