Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Questioning the correct name of those Iran fighters

Questioning the correct name of those Iran fighters

I have no idea about Iranian language, also English is not my native language, so who could give me a hand to make out the name of these aircraft with its exact meaning?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	186883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	186884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	186885  

The third one is a photoshop - the mid mounted wing F-5.
    The first one is the indigenous Tazarve trainer, the second ones are Saeqeh - F-5s modified with two tails.
    Last edited by googeler; 20th July 2010 at 06:21.

There are currently five projects to talk about:

OWJ JT-2 Tazarv (imaginary poetical bird, pheasant) - Iranian designed basic & intermediate trainer made of carbon fibrecomposite, with J85-13 turbofan without reheat.

HESA Simorgh (mythical flying creature from Persian culture) - F-5B domestically reworked from F-5A and RF-5A. This way Iranians tried to solve a problem with insufficient number of twinseaters for pilot training. Easy to recognize as they use Martin Baker Mk10 ejection seats. At least one (3-7025B) has Russian Zvezda K36DM ejectors from MiG-29. Quite funny to see them mounted in an F-5.

HESA Azaraksh (Lightning) - Azaraksh looks like normal F-5E/F and if not painted in special scheme, I can hardly recognize it from a normal Tiger II. But Azaraksh is said to be larger and heavier by ca 15%. Said to carry a Russian N019 radar from MiG-29. Find that hard to believe, though.

HESA Saeqeh (Thunderbolt) - let's call it Azaraksh Mk.2, a new twin-tailed version with increased range, optimized for ground attacks. It is said to have a much better radar than F-5E, no idea which type. Also use quite weird ejection seats.

AUC Shafaq (Before the dawn) - plan for new generation aircraft with reduced RCS. Apparetnly joint Iranian-Russian project, shows some resemblance with Yak-130. Should be powered by RD-33 turbofan from MiG-29.

Teh first pic of yours shows Tazarv, the second one shows Saeqeh. The third one is Azaraksh but the picture is PSed, the real aircraft has low wing, just like F-5E.

Thread Information