Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancaster Cockpit section

And before anyone asks, use the search function as it was last reported over in germany..
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

ZOOT,Yes, Bernie Salters nose section ended up in Germany,there was all that hoo haa about it being blown up as part of a film in the papers( that wasn`t the case). He also had another nose section off a firing range peppered with bullet holes..don`t think it left Canada in the end though

That must have been FM118 now being dismantled to provide parts for FM104.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    ZOOT,Yes, Bernie Salters nose section ended up in Germany,there was all that hoo haa about it being blown up as part of a film in the papers( that wasn`t the case). ......
    Bernie Salter's cockpit section is alive and well downunder, owned by my partner in the Lincoln acquisition and held by him to support the eventual restoration of the KB994 cockpit/fuselage.

There is also a second Lancaster cockpit section replica project in Australia, this is the one I purchased from the estate of Gordon Howell off ebay in 2004.

I am aware of another underway in the UK and there is also a replica Lancaster cockpit section in Canada as well, so on my count there would be 7 existing in total so far in various states of construction.

regards

Mark Pilkington
    Last edited by Mark_pilkington; 15th July 2010 at 18:11.
    "Never has a Country so Big!, owed so Much!, to those who Flew!"

..and the nose of the Lincoln, which was actually the nose of a Lancaster TW991, went intially to Norfolk for restoration before going to Paul Allens FHC

is that right?
    jeepman

And another one in The Netherlands by a former mate of mine, but I don't know if it is still being actively worked on.

Cheers
    Cees

Thats correct, the cockpit from the Lincoln RF342, which indeed was from a Lancaster, was seperated and sold off from the rest of the airframe prior to its purchase by the Imperial Aviation group at Sandtoft, and is now on display in the USA.

I understand it is from the former Python engine test bed, and the pilots felt the nose escape hatch was better than that on the Lincoln so the Lancaster nose was salvaged from the retired Lanc and fitted to the Lincoln?

Interestingly photos of the Lincoln RF342 show this nose was in place during RAF service?

In addition to that original Lancaster cockpit (TW991) now on display in the USA ,there are original cockpits at the IWM London (DV732 - F for Freddie), and the National Air Museum in Canada (KB848), these 3 originals are on top of the 7 replica cockpits I mentioned below, or 8,now counting the one advised by Cees of being in the Netherlands.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Thanks for the gen Mark P..,I went to see Gordon down in Dorset when I was doing the same sort of project ( before I saw the light !!) and he had quite a lot of stuff,big sale on ebay in the end( RIP Gordon). I spoke to Bernie recently and he didn`t seem to know where his old (pre-divorce project )ended up.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to see that my memory still has some useful information in it
    I don't want to die, because I don't want to end up like Anita Dobson - Frank Sidebottom, actually.
    Thank you

The Linc/Lanc cockpit was TW911 - it had plenty of Lancaster labels on it stating it was built as a Mk VII.

It was heavily 'Lincolnised', with a complete Lincoln instrument panel, and all of the wiring changed accordingly. Now reverted back to Lancaster.

Bruce

What happened to the 'Cockpitfest' Lincoln instrument panel/windscreen section?

Would the new owner like to step forward and take a bow?

I'm not sure that the owner frequents these parts!!
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    Please consider supporting 'Project Panini - The Build'

smirky What happened to the 'Cockpitfest' Lincoln instrument panel/windscreen section?

Would the new owner like to step forward and take a bow?
    ??? Was there a Lincoln Instrument panel and windscreen for sale/sold at Cockpitfest??? thanks for the heads up guys???

Anyone know who purchased it, or who sold it? - any pictures??

Bruce The Linc/Lanc cockpit was TW911 - it had plenty of Lancaster labels on it stating it was built as a Mk VII.

It was heavily 'Lincolnised', with a complete Lincoln instrument panel, and all of the wiring changed accordingly. Now reverted back to Lancaster.

Bruce, what happened to the Lincoln panel out of TW911?

regards

Mark Pilkington

I seem to remember the panel being last years cockpitfest. Some pictures appeared here.
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_pilkington View Post
    ??? Was there a Lincoln Instrument panel and windscreen for sale/sold at Cockpitfest??? thanks for the heads up guys???Anyone know who purchased it, or who sold it? - any pictures??
    Mark Pilkington
    Last year Mark, see here:
    http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=89
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Peter,

thanks for that link, I must have missed that whole thread last year, and wish I had known it was for sale?

Apparantly according to that thread it was shown last year by Malcolm Goosey? and it seems it was for sale at last year's cockpitfest as well? and I assume it was for sale again last weekend and has sold?

Its a pity our project wasnt aware of it as we might have been able to get a local supporter in the UK to undertake the purchase for us.

I would be interested in finding out how much it sold for, and who purchased it?

regards

Mark Pilkington

Sort of right but wrong as well !! Yes it was at Cockpitfest last year (being sold to raise funds for Dumfries and Galloway Museum) -it was bought by Malcolm Goosey at that event. It was not advertised apart from being there on the day!

It is being restored and is not for sale.

It was also subject to a sealed offer type sale on the day, so unless you were there.. no chance!
    Wyvern & Sturgeon parts projects
    Bassingbourn Tower Museum Volunteer

Email wyvernfan@gmail.com

Malcolm is building a Lancaster short cockpit, I traded him my Lanc windscreen/canopy sections I had, this is the Lincoln Panel I had off him from that section, not a good picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Officially now a pensioner

Arrow

I've enjoyed following the convolutions of this thread so thought I'd make a point of taking a few shots of the 'new' Lancaster section at Beltring yesterday. Rivet-counters at the ready...........................

Both Jeremy Hall.

Mark.

War and Peace Thursday.

So which one is correct? long or short nose?
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Long nose should be Canadian MR variant.

It`s a very rare panel Junk Collector,don`t know of any others in private hands.
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Collector View Post
    Malcolm is building a Lancaster short cockpit, I traded him my Lanc windscreen/canopy sections I had, this is the Lincoln Panel I had off him from that section, not a good picture.
    Could anyone knowing Tim / Junk Collector ask him to check his forum PM's and to please email me. (I note he hasnt posted here since late 2010)

regards

Mark Pilkington

Just a short note that the Dutch Lancaster cockpit is up and running again soon. I understand that it will be re-located to Lelystad Airport. Las I saw of it there was a complete new steel floor, all fuselage formers, canopy frame, and most of the interior fittings. A lot of parts from the estate of Gordon Howell also ended up here.

Cees

bump

Could anyone in the cockpitfest or UK preservation scene knowing Tim / Junk Collector ask him to check his forum PM's and to please email me. (I note he hasnt posted here since late 2010)

regards

Mark Pilkington

You missed this one!
    Paris Airshow 2003.
    Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information