Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RAF Hanger dimensions

RAF Hanger dimensions

Hi Everyone.

I found a link to this MOD document on WWII hangars.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1CE38...4/0/tb0202.pdf

Sadly, the links to the drawings are dead, so I was wondering if anyone downloaded these drawings, and could copy a set for me, or had the basic measurements for these hangar types.

I'm also interested in the size of a Belfast hangar, which I suppose is missing from the list as it's a WWI design.
    Last edited by Col. Gibbon; 8th July 2010 at 12:20.

Post your question on the Airfield Information Exchange - there are many hangar experts there...here is the link...

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...nity/forum.php

HANGAR!

The title needs to be ammended aswel!

There isn't such thing as a Belfast hangar, they are General Service Sheds, many of which utilise a 'Belfast' truss roof construction.
    They are 170 ft long by 100ft wide or about 210ft on the more common coupled version.

Basically the pre-war expansion period permanant hangars were designed to have a usable 150 x 300ft
    C type brick, concrete, and austerity hangar, D type concrete are all 150 x 300ft. Long type C (ASUs etc) is 375 ft long. C type 150 x 35 ft door opening, D type 150 x 30ft door opening.
    The curved E, L, and Lamella sheds are 167 (across the widest outside span) x 300 ft
    J and K type 194 x 150, the extra 44 ft span coming from the designed in annexes, the main storage part is still 150 ft wide. Door height 30ft
    Last edited by pagen01; 7th July 2010 at 11:58.

RAF hangers

The one's I've seen are about 18" long, with a 25 degree bend and a hook attached to the apex, with "Property of Her Majesty" stamped on them.

Hello Pagen01.

Sorry for the mistake about the Belfast hangar. It was just one of the bods at Hendon called it that, but what do they know?

He did not know how big it was, and I did not have a tape handy. I'm trying to make models of these WWII hangar types, and although I've got loads of pics, I've not had any dimensions, so thanks for that.

Thanks daveg4otu for the link to that site. It's just what I was looking for.
    Last edited by Col. Gibbon; 8th July 2010 at 12:20.

HANGAR (with two a's)

Memo to Col. Gibbon - hangar, hangar, hangar - the place in which they put aircraft, not the thing on which you hang your shirt!

They do tend to get called Belfast sheds, but that does refer to the lattice roof construction in most of them, which was devised in and marketed by a Belfast company.
    I'm hoping REF will be along soon with more detailed dimensions as he has undertaken full surveys of these GS Sheds.
    Ther are a few variations, the earlier type having an 80 ft clear span, the latter type a 100 ft, also the door supports and other detail varies. door height seems to be 20 to 25 ft.
    Duxfords are probably the easiest to access for most people.

I don't know if you know this, but you can measure hangars from Google Earth, gives a close guide, but not perfect.

From Wiki;

"The word hangar comes from a northern French dialect, and means "cattle pen"

See, the French invented them too - along with fuselages, ailerons, empennages, etc, etc....

Harrap's Shorter Dictionnaire Français/Anglais translates hangar as "shed, shelter; (grand) warehouse; (pour les trains, bus, etc) depot" as well as "(av) hangar". Around here, in western France, the word is used to describe a large agricultural building, usually steel or wooden framed and clad, often used for storage of hay and straw, which is not a grange (generally a brick or stone built barn) or is not used for a specific animal husbandry purpose - such as an étable (cow shed), porcherie (pigsty) or écurie (stable for horses).

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    Harrap's Shorter Dictionnaire Français/Anglais translates hangar as "shed, shelter; (grand) warehouse; (pour les trains, bus, etc) depot" as well as "(av) hangar". Around here, in western France, the word is used to describe a large agricultural building, usually steel or wooden framed and clad, often used for storage of hay and straw, which is not a grange (generally a brick or stone built barn) or is not used for a specific animal husbandry purpose - such as an étable (cow shed), porcherie (pigsty) or écurie (stable for horses).
    There are buildings on the waterfront at Antwerp which are labeled 'Hangar 1' etc.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    This, Hanger

This, Hangar

This, slap on head

OK, OK.

A simple typo.

But, you've had a lot of fun at my expence.

Thanks for the info and links, where I dare say I will make more typos.

Actually more worrying is the fact that the mods haven't picked up on the mistake in the title, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Thread Information