Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Heads up programme on Astute on BBC2

Heads up programme on Astute on BBC2

A heads up on a new series titled 'How To Build'........, building all sorts of things which the first programme is all about the Astute class SSN's.
    It's on BBC2 on Sunday at 9pm.

Bomberboy

What is going on, first a program on Daring and now one on Astute? Are the government preparing us for a massive Navy spending spree so they're pumping out lots of propaganda on the subject?

....I really wish they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim901 View Post
    What is going on, first a program on Daring and now one on Astute? Are the government preparing us for a massive Navy spending spree so they're pumping out lots of propaganda on the subject?

In trailer I swear I saw a Chinnock along with a very large jet engine and as this is a three part series maybe part two is How not to buy a Helicopter

Did this programme require American assitance in its production and will it burst into flames before it gets going?

You probably did. the next programme in the series focuses on the Rolls Royce Trent engine http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t0yx9 and after that is a programme on some projects which includes "getting Chinook helicopters ready for front line service".

I thought the programme was rather good given the limitations on subject matter and what they could and could not film. I loved the last few minutes when they oh so carefully shepherded Astute out to sea using 4 very large tugs and about three smaller ones.

There wasn't too much blurring out of things that they didn't want you to see, but interestingly one major one was when a shot included a cross section of a slice of the pressure hull where they clearly didn't want us to see how thick it was. Plus you never got to see the propulsor up close for real, only computer simulations of it (no doubt deliberately inaccurate) which I guess was inevitable

There was also scant mention of the design issues from a few years ago that nearly bought it all to a halt.

A pretty good effort by the BBC I thought. Definately worth a look on the iplayer if you are in the UK and missed it.
    Last edited by Super Nimrod; 28th June 2010 at 10:01.

Anyone else rather taken with the apprentice electrician?
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    An apprentice electrician working on nuclear submarines that is cute, blond, female and obviously happy being on film and talking to the camera, I bet the programme makers couldn't believe their luck, in fact I suspect the entire production team did a 'high five' when they saw her.

Couldn't help but notice there a few cheeky cleavage shots too, naughty cameramen.
    Last edited by kev 99; 28th June 2010 at 10:54.

A great piece of free PR for BAe and the Navy. No outsiders or critical comments.

She could certainly rewire my plug if she liked

Quote Originally Posted by flanker30 View Post
    A great piece of free PR for BAe and the Navy. No outsiders or critical comments.
    I wouldn't say that....it was mentioned a few times about delay's and problems.

I think it's more likely they're trying to hype all the new systems the navy has in order to reduce the PR impact of the ones they won't have(thanks to future cuts).

Quote Originally Posted by kev 99 View Post
    An apprentice electrician working on nuclear submarines that is cute, blond, female and obviously happy being on film and talking to the camera, I bet the programme makers couldn't believe their luck, in fact I suspect the entire production team did a 'high five' when they saw her.

Couldn't help but notice there a few cheeky cleavage shots too, naughty cameramen.
    I'm trying to watch this Iplayer now but it's being an absolute ***** about it. Now I REALLY want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Witcha View Post
    I think it's more likely they're trying to hype all the new systems the navy has in order to reduce the PR impact of the ones they won't have(thanks to future cuts).
    Way to burst my bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by mupp View Post
    I wouldn't say that....it was mentioned a few times about delay's and problems.
    I got the impression that the main problems were that there had been to many skills lost and that they need a long time to train people up to be able to handle working on a submarine.

I almost felt at times that it was plea to invest in more submarines so that the skills are not lost along with the jobs

For an electrician she was certainly easy on the eye - we have a cute carpentry apprentice at work and I always happy when she comes over to work in my building

I suspect that I destined for the course at work on politically correct behaviour!
    Last edited by nocutstoRAF; 28th June 2010 at 17:44. Reason: Should learn to proof read before I post

Thumbs up

As with any first of class vessel there was some teething problems on astute, most have been addressed and the other's will get sorted asap, but it's a learning curve and the remaining boat's will be less troublesome as the build count climbs.
    Even with the little niggles what the navy are getting is still 1 fantastic cutting edge submarine that the workers at BAE and the people of barrow should be very proud of and one that I'm sure will surpass all that's asked of it from the royal navy.
    Lighty "I love Lightnings I do"

I'm frankly a little surprised the British shipbuilding industry has been this successful with the Astutes but had so many problems with something they've had far more experience with: the destroyers.

I can't speak for the surface vessels as I have only worked on Subs, so I have no idea about any problems they might have encountered during design/build, what I do know though is that HMS Daring is one hell of a ship when you look at her and if the pr surrounding her is correct she really is the best, most advanced destroyer in the world right now.

hats off to the jocks on that one

PR is PR. If you've been following the threads here the Type 45s are horribly under-equipped in many aspects, and had kinks with its main missile system(PAAMS) for over two years after launch.

You are of course right there witcha, PR is PR! but like I said I have only worked on Subs.
    If there are outstanding problems on type 45's hopefully the people in the know will get them sorted sooner rather than later.
    we had a few mountains to climb with astute but all you can do is keep chipping away until they are gentle slopes and then it's all down hill!

I'm trying to watch this Iplayer now but it's being an absolute ***** about it. Now I REALLY want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

Way to burst my bubble.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she was a stunner, but she was rather cute and seemed like a rather nice young lady

Quote Originally Posted by kev 99 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she was a stunner, but she was rather cute and seemed like a rather nice young lady
    lol I see what you mean, I just finished watching it. Makes me want to go to Barrow next time there's a launch, I can just about see the cranes on a clear day anyway, so it's not too far.

Thread Information