Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: A320 ..spoiler deployed without command

A320 ..spoiler deployed without command

An Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FTJP performing flight AC-163 from Ottawa,ON to Vancouver,BC (Canada) with 151 people on board, was enroute at FL320 about 60nm northeast of Thunder Bay,ON when the airplane encountered moderate turbulence. A short while later the crew received three ECAM messages indicating a flight controls spoiler fault, low yellow hydraulic fluid quantity and engine #2 yellow hydraulic pump low pressure. The according checklists were executed and the airplane descended to FL250. The lower ECAM screen indicated spoiler panel #4 was extended, which was visually confirmed by the purser. The crew diverted to Toronto where they performed a safe overweight landing.

The Canadian TSB reported, that maintenance found the yellow hydraulic line to the #4 spoiler actuator had pulled away from the swage fitting. The line was repaired, the yellow hydraulic system replenished and checked with no leaks. An overweight landing inspection was not necessary because the loads during the landing remained within limits.

Source: avherald
    Best Regards Steve

Interesting.

When I opened the thread I was expecting a reoccurrence of the BA A320 dispatched with spoiler gags still in place.

What's the significanse of the hydraulic fluid being yellow? Are there different types of hydraulic fluids, with the colours indicating their function? Or is this simply a case of a journalist paid per word, therefor adding useless information?
    Click here to view my photos at JetPhotos.net!
    Click here to visit my website!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSpool View Post
    Interesting.

When I opened the thread I was expecting a reoccurrence of the BA A320 dispatched with spoiler gags still in place.
    It was an Excaliber A320.
    The A320 spoiler jacks have a manualy selected bypass valve that, when selected isolates the hydraulic supply to the jack. This allow you to move the spoiler up and down by hand for maintenance. It must be selected back after maintenance. This bit was not done by BA at Gatwick. When the air crew did their pre flight checks, they did not notice that the spoilers were not moving on one wing and they missed an ECAM message too. Neither BA or the Excaliber crew covered themselves with glory that day!

Rgds Cking

Quote Originally Posted by tenthije View Post
    What's the significanse of the hydraulic fluid being yellow? Are there different types of hydraulic fluids, with the colours indicating their function? Or is this simply a case of a journalist paid per word, therefor adding useless information?
    The fluid is not yellow. Airbus call their systems Blue, Green and Yellow. Boeing call them left, center and right.
    ALL use Skydrol. It's purple

Rgds Cking

Thread Information